PDA

View Full Version : Predictor ** Restart ** --- A question

BC
08-06-2004, 10:40 PM
Gents (and apparantly now ladies),

Predictor is apparantly learning and improving......

Don't know if anyone has been following it...

I would like to know if it's ok for me to take one of my little nodes over
and give it a whirl and 'kick the tires'. I am asking because we are
kicking some SERIOUS butt on D2OL (for which I am greatefull...)
and don't want to impact anything that's running smoothly.

(AND A PERSONAL THANKS TO CHAZ FOR THE GAZILLION CPU HOURS
ON D2OL)

back to predictor.....

Comments?

Any interest?

PS: The false point score and standings currently reported on the web will change.... please don't let ANYTHING the web says about status discourage you..... NOBODY is where they seem to be.... What matters is what is listed in your team account... not what is XML exported (there has been no new XML generated)

Chuck

vaughan
08-07-2004, 01:53 AM
Its your choice.

BC
08-07-2004, 01:58 AM
Its your choice.

Ok,
thanks... I'll consider it.. perhaps put a little machine on it and see if it grants credits and uploads/downloads correctly and.. most importantly.. dosn't screw up on jobs w/ compute errors

Beerknurd
08-07-2004, 03:23 AM
I have my P4 running 2 instances of D2OL and I have 1 instance on my P3. My P3 lacks speed at just 800mhz. 8 Rotable bonds on D2Ol takes 4 minutes per thingy... I don't know what you call them but there's 20 of them per task.
That's about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Damn that's slow. But I am going to take it off line and once I get enough done I'll upload them.

I came to the realization today that gateway computers SUCK!!!!!!!!!!

I know this has nothing to do with Predictor, but I just felt like posting here....

jlangner
08-07-2004, 03:45 AM
hehe - that is slow. It takes me 32 sec to do one of the conformers and about 10.5 min. per canidate.

As far as Predictor, If Chuck says running ok, I'll put one or two of my work pcs on it on monday.

BC
08-07-2004, 04:13 AM
hehe - that is slow. It takes me 32 sec to do one of the conformers and about 10.5 min. per canidate.

As far as Predictor, If Chuck says running ok, I'll put one or two of my work pcs on it on monday.

As for D2OL, I am getting a bunch of really tough jobs.... highly unusual.

My average Dock time per candidate jumped to 14 minutes from 7... and per conformer has jumped to 42 seconds....

I took a quick look at the # particular proteins being processed and they are growing bigger and bigger. They are now running in the 'best of 2 million+' range. definately having an impact on overall status, but somehow I am still within about 15 candidates/day of my average.... so I guess it's just a 'tough batch' or this block is honing in on something... The energy levels are starting to get very low.... I think that's a good sign, right?

As for predictor... I am going to bring the smallest host over now and will report back in about 12 hours as to the status.... D2OL and Predictor live fairly well together.

Chuck

WienerDog
08-07-2004, 04:18 AM
its pretty common to get a "block" of hard WU in D2OL....only thing ya can do is slog thru it.
Ive noticed it doing it right now on my slowest machine ( of course) but ya rarely get a days worth

BC
08-07-2004, 04:28 AM
its pretty common to get a "block" of hard WU in D2OL....only thing ya can do is slog thru it.
Ive noticed it doing it right now on my slowest machine ( of course) but ya rarely get a days worth

Someone (I believe Pepe or Vaughan) mentioned that once before and thanks for letting me know that the heavy jobs are still there.... From what I see, the molecules are growing rapidly now in complexity.... That is major progress to me so I don't mind slugging through them.

I am curious about our overall D2OL stats for today... they look VERY VERY promising (yes, this is off topic).

Predictor is up and running on my slow machine now and we will see how it does. I did merge the hosts and made notes as to the stats, so we'll see how it does. I'll keeep a close eye on credits granted and cpu time / WU as well as the WU's themselves.... I still have BOINC 3.21 to drop in if needed.... Right now, I'm still using 3.20.

Beerknurd
08-07-2004, 04:54 AM
I'm still a little hesitant (sp?) whether or not i'm going to run Predictor... Finally today all my pending credit was applied. I will wait until I get an update from you Chuck. At that time I will take your advise..... Predictor maybe better on my P3 800mgz. But we will see. Just post your final outcome.

BC
08-07-2004, 05:10 AM
I'm still a little hesitant (sp?) whether or not i'm going to run Predictor... Finally today all my pending credit was applied. I will wait until I get an update from you Chuck. At that time I will take your advise..... Predictor maybe better on my P3 800mgz. But we will see. Just post your final outcome.

I ask that NOBODY consider predictor until I have a chance to kick it in the 'sensitive spots'..... (if you don't mind).... and I have a chance to grab the latest code and give it a good eyeing over.

I will post results and everything as they come.....

and HOPE the web page gets it's "LONG OVERDUE" update and the scores updated back to reality.

Chuck

em99010pepe
08-07-2004, 07:09 AM
I will continue to crunch for D2OL.

BC
08-07-2004, 07:16 AM
I will continue to crunch for D2OL.

I'm crunching hard on D2OL as well.... predictor gets low and dockwin/gridwin get 'below normal' priority.

So far... 2 results sent to predictor just 'disappeared'.....

i doubt it is ready to be used at all.

BC
08-07-2004, 02:38 PM
Predictor restart continuing ok.... no lost jobs..... just slow to respond and post... RAC updating correctly.

total credit not cleared.... but the value in the individual accounts is more correct.... so there is one table left in the set of tables to be re-updated....

email sent notifying of that..... this will bring us back up and the rest down to reality again...

I would like another 24+ hours to run.... I have Charmms jobs now in the queue... let's see what happens...

I will report at the 12 WU mark with stats ..

Chuck

bwhite
08-07-2004, 03:31 PM

I'm also hesitant but will be watching also. Have majority of effort on D2OL and CB.

BC
08-07-2004, 03:44 PM

I'm also hesitant but will be watching also. Have majority of effort on D2OL and CB.

Agreed.... I would run D2OL and Predictor.... my test is doing just that on the slow machine to measure impact.... so far the load differential is about 10 D2OL WUs (about 9-10%) per day difference... but i want a full day's run at least under my belt.

ALso... i got msgs and we need to inform our users that when I pushed the team name back in.... I did put it in as "AMD Users"... not "AMDUsers".... some members think we are gone.

we need to correct this... but the team roster is growing again....

I want all the data I can collect so we can decide intelligently if/when to pick up predictor again at any level.

I see so far that my Mfold is back in service (nice feeling)...
and Charmms has been upgraded 4 revisions to 3.15.... so they must have copied some code and fixed other things as well...

Time will tell...

I will be prompt and also report what I find in the databases themselves.

chuck

Beerknurd
08-07-2004, 05:43 PM
Once again Chuck, your doing a great job... Keep it up. Your information on this project is very imformative.....

AMDave
08-09-2004, 10:37 AM
Chuck,

it seems that what you are saying is...we all dropped out of the Team & need to rejoin ASAP. I have done this now and am now back in the list.

I was holding off to make sure that there was not some re-load that was going to be done that would re-instate the list & somehow we might stuff things up if we had subsequently made changes to the membership data.

But it worked, so it's back to happy days.

Well almost.

Tonight's test resulted in nothing from the Predictor project server.

D2OL accepted my WU upload but would not assign any more so
AAARG - Nothing Running !!!!!

...hmm... time for me to have a quick try at another project at last...

eeny-meeny-miny-mo, catch a tiger by the toe, if it bites your head off, then its time to go !

ChessBrain it is then.

--Dave--

BC
08-09-2004, 10:52 AM
Chuck,

it seems that what you are saying is...we all dropped out of the Team & need to rejoin ASAP. I have done this now and am now back in the list.

I was holding off to make sure that there was not some re-load that was going to be done that would re-instate the list & somehow we might stuff things up if we had subsequently made changes to the membership data.

But it worked, so it's back to happy days.

Well almost.

Tonight's test resulted in nothing from the Predictor project server.

D2OL accepted my WU upload but would not assign any more so
AAARG - Nothing Running !!!!!

...hmm... time for me to have a quick try at another project at last...

eeny-meeny-miny-mo, catch a tiger by the toe, if it bites your head off, then its time to go !

ChessBrain it is then.

--Dave--

The predictor server is going to be off probably for another 4-5 hours (until staff arrives) and a reboot occurs.... but please do pass the word for all to sign up again for 'AMD Users'..... doing so will guarantee our credits get properly reinstated and we retake our position as 5th place where we belong.

There will be a minor software update... I will advise once I have completed the testing here.....

The only 'reload' will be a 'database rescan' to correct the credits since
the credits listed per user do not match the team total. Two of the database tables need to be reconstructed... and will be (hopefully today).

right now.. I am running work to stress both the newly fixed PC and Predictor with D2OL.... and surprisingly both are now running 50/50% each.... which NEVER happened before.. I have found the trick..... and have much to write to all to use as they find applicable to their configurations.

I am looking for Pepe's email account and am going to toss up 10-15 CB's on this machine w/ Predictor and D2OL to see just how much it can handle .... It should handle it all without even blinking..... should be no hesitation and full load balancing across the board......and most importantly.... prove it isn't a dead cpu/mb after all.

Chuck

AMDave
08-09-2004, 11:10 AM
Thanks, Chuck.
Will Do.
Hope you're feeling better.
--Dave--

Beerknurd
08-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Yea, how are you feeling?????

BC
08-09-2004, 11:57 AM
Yea, how are you feeling?????

Since you are all my friends,

1. 2 more discs have collapsed.
2. the hips now twist about 45 degrees to the left instead of the 30 when last measured at last visit... meaning spinal stability failing .
3. tonight i almost burned myself in the shower... what normally feels 'just right' (like testing baby milk) on the inside of your forearm... was near scalding when it hit the rest of me.

overall summary... degrading at a more rapid pace. the 5 year prediction of being in a chair for life may indeed come true in spite of the surgical efforts unless surgery in Maryland can help or Chris & Dana can get me in to see the doctor in Portugal.

I have these conditions:

a) temporal lobe and occipital lobe scarring with cortex damage when i was injured. (grade 2, untreated concussion as a child)

b) compound scoliosis (both AP and Lateral planes... forget the real names... one is 'Sagital') and degenerative disc disease...

c) secondary issues due to non-treatment post trauma of "a"... but minor.

Overall... I'm ahead of the game.... I am winning. Had I not taken the action I did, when I did... I would be like Chris. (he, Dana, and i write and share data since i was slightly more fortunate and did not have a full severing of the chord as he did... but location is the same... and we help the foundation. This is how I have survived here in CA on my own for so long... but now Cedars-Sinai says there is nothing even they can do (just like with Chris). So for me, it's I get a temp-fix at Johns Hopkins while waiting to go out of country.

I'm following their lead.

Chuck

Beerknurd
08-09-2004, 12:00 PM
Damn that sucks.... I'll keep you in my prayers man. You get to feeling better.....

vaughan
08-09-2004, 12:04 PM
Dave if you want to try some other projects then Seventeen or Bust and Distributed Folding are both OK.

Tasks in 17 are huge now and take about a week or so on a 2GHz athlon XP. To show some progress you can configure it easily to contact the server every few minutes or so when it completes a sub-unit of the task. There are over 1,000 sub-units per task now. Alternatively, you can set it to not contact the server so you can horde up results then, to use a phrase that's been popular in our forum lately, do a big dump. I must tell you one cautionary tale - if you don't let your computer make contact with the server every now and then (I think its every 28 days but might be wrong on this figure) the task get re-assigned to someone else and YOU LOSE ALL THE STATS for that work unit. This is why you see people's stats go negative every now and then. Also happens if you manually expire a task from their "Current Pending Tests" page:
www.seventeenorbust.com/account/testsPending.mhtml

Distributed Folding is quite fast once you get past the initial 30,000 folds for 50 points. The current protein is fairly small so you can accumulate points relatively easily at the moment. Keith and I have run this DC project a fair bit.

vaughan
08-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Chuck, that sounds awful. My thoughts and best wishes to you.

BC
08-09-2004, 12:24 PM
Chuck, that sounds awful. My thoughts and best wishes to you.

thanks, your support and understanding when meds hit me (class 2 narcotics) is what I value the most... you all stick by me... It's good to be part of a group... no matter what....

I am glad that I have something I can give back.... It helps keep me going and you all give me strength when i need it...

Thank you all my friends.

Chuck

Beerknurd
08-09-2004, 11:45 PM
Your welcome and get to feeling better