PDA

View Full Version : D2ol /tsc

Bender10
08-28-2007, 04:36 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just an observation, not a RANT...

There are quite a few inactive 'nodes' out there. :sad5: I'm sure one or two would enjoy being dusted off....:blob3:

Time to 'BORG' the werk confuser again?? :XXarcade:

Frederic Brillouet
08-28-2007, 05:24 PM
Hi Everyone,

Just an observation, not a RANT...

There are quite a few inactive 'nodes' out there. :sad5: I'm sure one or two would enjoy being dusted off....:blob3:

Time to 'BORG' the werk confuser again?? :XXarcade:
i dont have any incative nodes, just some that need to be hushed momentarily. you'll know why when you read my pm

AQUAJOE
08-28-2007, 06:13 PM
I might be able to throw a few in that direction. FAH is boring me.

Bender10
08-28-2007, 06:26 PM
Thanks AQUAJOE.

It would be cool if people would just put 1 inactive node online and leave it there...it would add up pretty quick.

Cheers...

AQUAJOE
08-29-2007, 03:29 AM
Hey Bender I threw 4 at it.

Frederic Brillouet
08-29-2007, 08:47 AM
Hey Bender I threw 4 at it.
theres always one that goes over the top :icon_lol:

Bender10
08-29-2007, 11:34 AM
Thanks AQUAJOE.

I'm running a few (bunch...) nodes in parallel on my boinc boxes...

I'm going to try and keep a couple on all the time now.

NeoGen
08-29-2007, 02:37 PM
I've been on it in the past, my name and node must be showing there.
I wish I had one core for each active project... :icon_rolleyes:

Brucifer
08-29-2007, 03:42 PM
Take a read,

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/health/2003858056_birdflu29m.html

Bender10
08-29-2007, 07:53 PM
Hi NeoGen,

Yeah, I know it's hard. I keep moving around too much. I still have my favorites though. I am starting to learn a little patience on the project front, that helps.

These 2 projects are easy to run. If everyone registered on D2OL/TSC just ran 1 node, we would have >100 nodes online racking up points. 100-150 points a day from 100 nodes....

The problem is, not everyone has a dual core (or room for 2-3 computers). And that's the only way you can still run BOINC or something else at the same time, to satisfy the 'Crunching my favorite project' urge....Because I'm not trying to tear anyone away from their projects, really. :icon_redface:

Hey Brucifer,

That's an interesting article. I wonder if D2OL project data will find it's way into this application???

:dontknow:

More Nodes!! Cool.

Brucifer
08-31-2007, 05:51 PM
To my mind, the thing of note there was the person to person transmission of the avian flu... that is a major jump in the threat level. And thus more reason to crunch d2ol as it is the only DC effort to work on defeating avian flu.

Bender10
09-22-2007, 11:47 PM
Hey Brucifer,
I gave the article another read. I guess I was 'looking' for a connection to the research, and glossed over the 'Human' factor....

the NODE Troll is still looking for new victims....

Brucifer
09-25-2007, 07:16 PM
I'm keeping some of my 32-bit systems on d2ol. Much better place for them than the sieving. :) When I look at the sieving speed of the 64's over the 32's, it's rather discouraging... but they still do okay here. :)

Counted 7 people crunching here yesterday... really nice! :)

Bender10
09-25-2007, 10:23 PM
We're getting there, Thanks for the push. I'm trying to work in more nodes everyday.

Most people are willing to surf the internet for hours, but run research software while they are "surfing"...oh no!!. "It will slow down my computer...". Right...

A few hours a day still helps.

Bender10
09-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Someone care to look at the D2OL Stats for Norway? Am I going crazy, or is there a glitch?

http://stats.free-dc.org/new/allteams.php?proj=d2ol

It looks like they got a hugh boost over the last couple o dayz, but it does not show up on the individual stats.....

EDIT:
It looks like it might be a couple of people playing the old 'Team Jumping' merry-go-round...it's hard to tell. One name seems to have changed a little, and stats may not have caught up with the changes yeti.

Brucifer
09-26-2007, 06:00 PM
It looks like it might be a couple of people playing the old 'Team Jumping' merry-go-round...it's hard to tell. One name seems to have changed a little, and stats may not have caught up with the changes yeti.

The person moved from undecided to Norway, and added about 5k for the daily output. Whether that was just a 5k dump, or was a new node that was just "added" is hard to tell. Maybe this next year the project will incorporate tracking stats earned while a member of various teams so that those points stay with the teams. But for the project, it isn't one of their high priorities for this year, which I understand when looking at their goals and resources.

Bender10
09-26-2007, 06:08 PM
Yes, I looked around a bit more (I'm at werk dodging Conference calls and "Come and fix this!" calls).

It looks like a few of their members have been bouncing from Team Norway-Norway DC-unassigned and back again....

I think I need some asprin....:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Brucifer
09-26-2007, 10:24 PM
IRT their moving around, as the wife says.... whatever...
:icon_mrgreen:

If it makes them feel good then more power to them as long as it helps keeping them crunching on d2ol, which is good for the project. If it helps them become legends in their own minds, then I imagine that they are really cooking along! LOL

Bender10
09-27-2007, 01:30 AM
It is kinda funny, like mouse tracks in the snow...Just running around having fun without a clue.

Brucifer
11-27-2007, 11:17 PM
noticed those Norway crunchers?? They be gettin close to passing us.....

Bender10
11-27-2007, 11:58 PM
They were closing in a lot faster until you showed up! Thanks.

Actually, Norway, tweakers and Soft are all running pretty hard.

Steve Lux
11-28-2007, 03:07 AM
I've had my dual core at work on D2OL for a few months now, via a thumb drive. So, technically I haven't installed outside software on the system. This is one of those projects that I'd love to see ported over to run on a GPU.

Brucifer
11-28-2007, 05:16 AM
Me too, and I think that at some point it will happen. Just right now the project is in the process of defining and putting their new goals into revised clients. I think that we will see some big changes coming along in a lot of projects this next year. Look at what's happened this year already with the ps3, and how it's moved into 3 projects now. And also the ati upcoming new card with the sdk being released too. So there's going to be some more forward movement in the distributed computing world.

And we should be seeing a new client coming out on the d2ol scene too with improvements there. So all in all, I think things are really looking good!! :)

shnal
11-28-2007, 09:17 AM
hey guys,

I've been running this all year, with two computers but they're on only 8 hours a day. I was hoping some more people would join in.

Lagu
11-28-2007, 08:03 PM
I have visited Team Norways homepage and found this photo of a screenshot. Notice he have 8 cores and 8 agents down the task bar:shocked:

Link: http://www.team-norway.org/gallery.jsp?gId=17&pId=57

Brucifer
12-19-2007, 04:05 PM
sigh, it would be nice to have an 8 core system to put on this, but I don't think it's going to happen for me in the foreseeable future. I'll be doing good to just add a quad or two during the next several months.

I did kick off the new quad on it though this morning to see how it does. It's been busy sieving for psp lately.

Bender10
12-19-2007, 04:33 PM
I'm having a hard enough time finding "Dual" cores to run this on. I just discovered a USB port on an Intel 450 mhz box we use to monitor some equipment....BORGED

Steve Lux
12-19-2007, 08:18 PM
I've Borged another dually on this through the weekend.

Lagu
12-19-2007, 08:57 PM
I should run D20L but I will not be home during Christmas so I think to close down all computers. I will not come home and se my house have burned up.:)

Bender10
12-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Thanks to everyone for running TSC/D2OL when you can.

keithw1975, Steve Lux, shnal, thanatoz, Papagiorgio, krab84, Lagu, Brucifer, cputrdoc, teamaqua, petrel_amd...and anyone else I missed.

And a big Thanks to Brucifer for his "Quad" D2OL output this week.

Brucifer
12-21-2007, 11:36 PM
Had some spare system time between projects so thought I'd throw them on d2ol to see if I could get up to 300,000 for the year. Just about made it anyway. :) May make it yet. It's a good project, but then there are a lot of good projects out there too. All of you have a good Holiday Season as we get ready to start a new year in, and best wishes to all of you and yours! :)

Bender10
01-02-2008, 07:20 PM
Don't forget to fire-up a node on D2OL/TSC at least once a week!

The life you save, may be mine!! :shocked:

Happy New Year!!

Steve Lux
01-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Good D2OL dump today, sure wish I could do that every day. D2OL is one of my favorite projects.

Good point Bender10, there is no telling if the knowledge learned from such a project might actually save some of our lives.

sentient_life
01-03-2008, 08:49 PM
Well, I made the plunge. I've finally jumped back onto a non-BOINC project. Been a long time since SETI Classic and Dnet. I remember running D2OL a long time ago (recognize the GUI interface), but don't remember the previous registration details. Put one of my quad's cores on it. Shall see how it does.

Steve Lux
01-03-2008, 08:56 PM
We sure can use the help. Team Norway has been slowly creeping up on us.

Brucifer
01-04-2008, 03:44 AM
Well I guess I've seen the light and have fallen victim to the Force. Went ahead and put OpenSuse 10.3 on that HP Q6600 system and got rid of the vista. Just couldn't put up with it anymore. And I've got to say that I'm definitely impressed. Got some timing runs going on now with it.

Seriously thinking too of picking up one of the Phenoms and popping that on an AM2 board to see what it will do. But the quads definitely spoil a person in a hurry, no doubt about it........ just call me Darth Brucifer........... :icon_twisted:

now where is all the stuff I need for an octo-quad........................... :)

Brucifer
01-08-2008, 02:39 AM
I noticed on Bok's d2ol stats this afternoon that you made a real nice addition to the points today Ototero!!! :icon_mrgreen: Lookin good! :)

I also noticed yesterday evening that they exterminated another multiple thousand chickens in one of the provinces in China due to the H5N1 avian flu virus. :(

Ototero
01-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Thanks Bruce. Anything for the cause.

Brucifer
01-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Ah yes, the cause. Seems like this avian flu stuff just keeps on going and going and going.

Brucifer
10-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Speaking of the cause has everyone had their flu shots yet? :icon_mrgreen:

I've been watching the q6600's and the Phenom 9850BE on their outputs on d2ol. And, happy to say that the 9850BE really kicks some butt on this project. Not saying that the q6600's are slouches cause they aren't. However it is good to see a project that the Phenoms like. Just for shits and grins, I picked up a couple of the 60w X2-5000's to replace a couple X2-3800's. And the 5000's have a good respectable output on d2ol also. The price is nice and low on those, so it is really a cheap upgrade that plops right into the same m/b using the same memory, and less juice too.

:)

vaughan
10-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Brucifer have you retired all your single core AMDs now? It is good to see that the Phenoms are doing well in D2OL. Do you or has anyone else any experience with them supporting a GPU to run the Folding at home GPU2 client? The ATI graphics cards get good reviews in bang per buck comparisons against the high end Nvidia cards. Tempted to get a 4870X2 for some gaming duties and part-time Folding.

Brucifer
10-22-2008, 01:50 AM
Yes, I don't have any single core systems left. And have also been getting rid of the X2 3800's also.

Actually at the moment I'm basically in a wheel-spinning mode. OGR is over with. I finished my sieving stuff on nplb. The moneybee fiasco really ticked me off after all the work on it and then it getting dropped from the vault. Wein-burger or whatever it is, is only a windows thing. I'm still not into boinc at all. So the range of stuff is diminishing. There have been more projects just disappear into thin air. I've been doing some d2ol to burn-in some stuff. But the thrill on that really isn't there as it once was. Sort of a computer mid-life crises kinda thing if you know what I mean. blah blah blah..... :sad5:

vaughan
10-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Yeah I know what you mean.

Then I decided to give BOINC a real try and got bitten by the DC bug again. I still try to keep eOn in the top 10 but it has been a problem child over recent months with the old ZZZs issues.

The problem with BOINC is the inequality of the points allocation between projects. After a while you just stop fighting it and realise there will be cheaters in anything touched by humans or inept admins who don't give a sh!t about their voluneteers.

Next you find something you want to DONATE your cpu cycles to and you run it. This phase is followed by competition that exists either between similarly specced "pharms" run by individuals or very occasionally we work as the AMD Users Distributed Computing Team and we crunch competitively.

Frederic Brillouet
10-22-2008, 10:52 AM
Yes, I don't have any single core systems left. And have also been getting rid of the X2 3800's also.

Actually at the moment I'm basically in a wheel-spinning mode. OGR is over with. I finished my sieving stuff on nplb. The moneybee fiasco really ticked me off after all the work on it and then it getting dropped from the vault. Wein-burger or whatever it is, is only a windows thing. I'm still not into boinc at all. So the range of stuff is diminishing. There have been more projects just disappear into thin air. I've been doing some d2ol to burn-in some stuff. But the thrill on that really isn't there as it once was. Sort of a computer mid-life crises kinda thing if you know what I mean. blah blah blah..... :sad5:
DPAD is your friend Bruce. At least its mine anyway :icon_lol:

Bender10
10-22-2008, 11:10 AM
I'm still cranking out D2OL/TSC wu's because it's easy. And I don't have to 'watch over' the client (like boinc sometimes, or at least the wu servers). I am sort of stuck with PS3Grid because of my 2 PS3's. But this project is turning into a sort of 'Folding' clone. Everyone seems to love crunching with GPU's. And they are way faster than the PS3's.

I may wind up actually plays movies and games on my PS3's, as the GPU's take over crunching...hehe

Brucifer
10-22-2008, 03:30 PM
I am sort of stuck with PS3Grid because of my 2 PS3's. But this project is turning into a sort of 'Folding' clone. Everyone seems to love crunching with GPU's. And they are way faster than the PS3's.

I may wind up actually plays movies and games on my PS3's, as the GPU's take over crunching...hehe

Well the speed thing is the whole technology thing that just keeps on going..... (and doesn't need those batteries... <grin>). What is the power consumption difference between the GPU's and the PS3's per comparable amount of work? Anyone done any checking on that?

The other thing that would be nice would be if they ever came out with the double precision PS3's so a little more adaptation to some other projects might be helped.

I'm not really a fan of folding either. I spent some time at it in the past, but always ended up leaving it cause I just got bored with it. D2OL/TSC are much more interesting in my opinion.

Brucifer
10-22-2008, 03:32 PM
YNext you find something you want to DONATE your cpu cycles to and you run it. This phase is followed by competition that exists either between similarly specced "pharms" run by individuals or very occasionally we work as the AMD Users Distributed Computing Team and we crunch competitively.

And that's where I'm at now, looking around at the donation thing.... :icon_mrgreen:

Brucifer
10-22-2008, 03:34 PM
DPAD is your friend Bruce. At least its mine anyway :icon_lol:

I've looked hard at it a couple times in the past, but ended up on the d2ol/tsc thing just because I'm more inclined towards the medical/humanity thing.

Frederic Brillouet
10-22-2008, 05:19 PM
I've looked hard at it a couple times in the past, but ended up on the d2ol/tsc thing just because I'm more inclined towards the medical/humanity thing.
Agreed, but if you're bored of d2ol/tsc, you might just give it a spin because not a lot of medical projects non boinc anymore... in fact not a lot of non-boinc projects at all!

Brucifer
02-06-2009, 04:33 PM
The bird flu has appeared up the road in BC, Canada. :( Not a good thing at all. So I fired off D2OL again as that is the only project working on the problem. It's moved a long was from the rural chicken farms in China or wherever it first appeared in Asia.

Beerknurd
02-07-2009, 03:04 AM
I got the flu shot a couple of months ago... My work offers them for free... I figured why not. I have only had the flu 1 time in my life...

Brucifer
02-07-2009, 03:45 AM
you are one lucky soul then! :icon_mrgreen:

Beerknurd
02-07-2009, 04:22 AM
That 1 time sure did suck though... lol

liuqyn
02-07-2009, 10:43 AM
The only time I ever got a flu shot, it succeeded, and was also the only time I ever got the flu.