PDA

View Full Version : Searching for project comparison chart

jmblazek
09-01-2007, 01:42 AM
At one time there existed a chart comparing all the BOINC projects and the credit they give (high, medium, low). However, I failed to find it today.

Would someone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

AMDave
09-01-2007, 02:03 AM
I am not sure of the one you mean, however there is this one on James' site
http://boinc.netsoft-online.com/e107_plugins/boinc/get_cpcs.php
To compare the projects, look down the left-hand side to find the project you are considering.
The numbers in the row to the right show the ratio compared to the other projects.

PoorBoy
09-01-2007, 02:20 AM
Charts are fine if you can figure them out but there are to many variables on the exact Credit you will get at each Project. There can be a lot of difference depending on your CPU and or the OS your running & if your Overclocking or not too.

I usually just look for CPU's & OS the same as I'm running and see what those hosts are getting, I try to find 4 or 5 at least like mine because there can be differences even at the same Project, that at least gives me some Idea on what to expect.

vaughan
09-01-2007, 02:26 AM
Nice find AMDave. I was looking for something like this too recently. It explains why its so darned hard to make progress in Cosmology and uFluids. There's a project missing from that comparison however - RieselSieve. :icon_neutral:

PoorBoy
09-01-2007, 02:36 AM
There's a project missing from that comparison however - RieselSieve. :icon_neutral:

That's why I don't put to much stock in any of the Charts I see floating around, they usually are slanted one way or the other and omit Projects ... :icon_rolleyes:

jmblazek
09-01-2007, 03:34 AM
I am not sure of the one you mean, however there is this one on James' site
http://boinc.netsoft-online.com/e107_plugins/boinc/get_cpcs.php
To compare the projects, look down the left-hand side to find the project you are considering.
The numbers in the row to the right show the ratio compared to the other projects.
Yes, this is what I wanted...thanks AMDave. I've seen another chart as well but this one will do.

PoorBoy: From what I can gather with this chart, it actually compares individual hosts that are participating in both projects. For example, SETI@home and Einstein@home both share 37063 active hosts. It's from those hosts that the comparison is made.

If this is true, then I think this is a pretty good chart. However, missing RS is a pretty big oversight! :)

PoorBoy
09-01-2007, 03:47 AM
Well I've seen that Chart before & don't fully understand how to use it, but it still has to be based on the average Credit given across the hosts, so it still goes back to the variables I would think & your CPU & OS & Overclocking or not will be the final determination on how much credit you get.

AMDave
09-01-2007, 04:57 AM
It is a summary of all wu's by all currently active hosts.
So it is simply a "guide" as Poorboy suggests.

Yes I noticed after posting that RS is missing.
I will post James and ask if it can be added.

jmblazek
09-01-2007, 07:21 AM
It is a summary of all wu's by all currently active hosts.
So it is simply a "guide" as Poorboy suggests.

Yes I noticed after posting that RS is missing.
I will post James and ask if it can be added.
So, no host to host comparison. :( Too bad...what a tool that would be! For those that are credit hungry, they could determine the best project per host, and set their machines accordingly.

Thanks for the help...and thanks for making the recommendations to James.

PoorBoy
09-01-2007, 09:54 AM
The list shows only 34 projects, so Riesel Sieve is not the only Project Missing. I have Credit @ 43 BOINC Projects myself & other people have more than that even. Riesel Sieve & ABC are 2 of the more prominent ones missing that I can see off hand. I have Accounts @ 62 BOINC Projects right now, so a little more than half are showing on the Chart, of course some Projects are Dead or Inactive @ the moment.

I still say the best way is to do your own detection @ the Projects by looking for similar CPU's & OS that you have & figuring out how much Per hour they are getting. Mainly I say that because almost all the Projects favor 1 Brand of CPU over the others (AMD v Intel) and 1 OS over the other (Winblows v Linux)

So if you look at that Chart and see a Project that seems to give really good Credit you may go there and get squat because you don't have the right CPU or OS combination to get that good Credit.

ABC is a good example of that, if your running 64-Bit Linux you'll get great credit, almost double what the guys are getting that are running 32-Bit Winblows or Linux.

AMDave
09-04-2007, 03:19 AM
ok jmblazek

I spoke with James and he can do it but he needs something from RieselSieve.
I spoke to bryan and lee and they are aware of the issue.
It turns out to be not a simple thing.
It requires a software change and they have a timeline for the fix.
Hopefully by the end of October.
It is a small part of a significant upgrade project.

James advised that the order of the projects is set by a previous specification which required Seti at the top, so we don't expect the order of the projects on that page to be changed.

jmblazek
09-04-2007, 12:49 PM
ok jmblazek

I spoke with James and he can do it but he needs something from RieselSieve.
I spoke to bryan and lee and they are aware of the issue.
It turns out to be not a simple thing.
It requires a software change and they have a timeline for the fix.
Hopefully by the end of October.
It is a small part of a significant upgrade project.

James advised that the order of the projects is set by a previous specification which required Seti at the top, so we don't expect the order of the projects on that page to be changed.
Thanks for the update!

vaughan
09-04-2007, 09:27 PM
This site has some useful info on the various BOINC projects.

http://home.scarlet.be/boinc/