PDA

View Full Version : Xubuntu within VMware

vaughan
09-03-2007, 09:09 AM
I need some advice here.

I'm running Win XP Pro SP2 and have a VMware workstation loaded and running Xubuntu (32bit). When I run BOINC v5.8.16 within Xubuntu (WEP-M+2) I see it is using 100% CPU inside the VM but there is only one task being crunched. Its on a Core Duo so shouldn't there should be two WUs being crunched? At the same time in the Windows session I'm running BOINC v5.10.13 (RieselSieve) and it has two WUs running. Windows Task Manager shows VMware using 50% and RieselSieve using 25% per WU.

How do I get the BOINC within Linux to use two cores?

AMDave
09-03-2007, 12:21 PM
You should close your VMWare session.
Use the VMWare Console to to allocate more CPUs
Then when you install the O/S of your choice in your virtual machine it should see more than one CPU available.

In the case of your Xubuntu, it will have installed a uniprocessor kernel.
So, even after you allocate another CPU, it will likely still run in Uniprocessor mode.
I would recommend re-installing it to ensure the SMP kernel and modules are installed.

vaughan
09-03-2007, 12:35 PM
OK, thanks AMDave. Its v6.0.0 build 45731.

Doomeva showed me how to change the setting to 2 processors. He's got an Info Sys Technology exam tomorrow so I cannot pester him too much. :icon_twisted:

When the current WEP task ends I'll change its configuration and see how it goes. I also have >0.5MB ram spare so I'll give the VM a little more headroom. Now I can see how useful these multi-core CPUs are. :icon_wink: