PDA

View Full Version : Boinc SETI and the BAM (Boinc Account Manager)

Robert P. Herbst
09-06-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm confused and maybe one of you guys out there can set me straight. I use Boinc SETI and the BAM (Boinc Account Manager) on three nearly identical computers Two of which are running only the above mentioned account Bonic/SETI. By Identical, I mean one is an Ausus Premium A8N SLI Mother board the other two are Deluxe A8N SLI mother boards. Aside from this, all three are identical.
All three computers have been linked by the Boinc Account Manager yet all three have different results. Some computers up load their results in a timely fashion, while the others do not. Sometimes whole days go by and the results don't upload, then one machine uploads and the others don't. I have one machine that hasn't uploaded anything in two days while the other two upload right on time.
The account manager is supposed to link the three so they can be accessed from one computer, but it doesn't seem to do this.
Have I done something wrong, if so, how do I fix it? I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit on three AMD dual core chips. The results I get on my RAC bounce around all over the lot without apparent cause.

Nflight
09-06-2007, 11:03 PM
BAM is something I don't use, and I see what you are saying about your output is jumping all over the place as seen here: http://boincstats.com/stats/boinc_user_graph.php?pr=bo&id=1217919
Your best place to look on this page is the 3rd Chart as you scroll down it shows your output is very inconsistent. Almost like riding a roller coaster.

IF you use this program of BAM for a reason then you will have to ask someone on the web site about your frustration, if you don;t have to use this program I suggest placing your strength in operating from the original Boinc Manager (BM) like most of us operate from. That is the best I can suggest; Mr. Author!

Other members may have other suggestion to aid you in your quest to resolve these issues, I am at a loss of never putting my trust in anything but the BM.

Good Luck

Robert P. Herbst
09-06-2007, 11:15 PM
I have nothing to lose by discontinuing the BAM thing. I have no idea what it does. It sure didn't do as they said it would.

vaughan
09-07-2007, 12:10 AM
I agree with Nflight as I also don't use BAM. I have noticed what Robert reports and that is how some computers report their completed work units immediately, some report all when the current batch is done and the final variant where some report all but one from the current batch. All using 5.10.13 under Windows XP Pro and using Boinc Manager.

vaughan
09-07-2007, 12:13 AM
I agree with Nflight as I also don't use BAM. I have noticed what Robert reports and that is how some computers report their completed work units immediately, some report all when the current batch is done and the final variant where some report all but one from the current batch. All using 5.10.13 under Windows XP Pro and using Boinc Manager.

Another annoyance is that some projects give a message in BM that no work was sent or reported when you press update and others will go and get some work quite happily. This is when there is already cached work waiting to be done and I just want to top up the queue.

Robert P. Herbst
09-07-2007, 10:00 AM
I'm using the Boinc 5.10.20 version. It's the new one they just started recommending. It might be good if you upgraded to it, although for the life of me, I can see no difference.
Since discontinuing BAM I have noticed, my results upload faster. We shall see what happens today.

Robert P. Herbst
09-07-2007, 11:24 AM
I want to thank both of you for your help I have shut down BAM on all the computers. There seems to be some improvement, but it's too early to tell yet. Thank you again for your help here. It should be interesting to see what happens over the next few days. I wonder why Boinc puts out such a program when it seems to only slow down the process?????

liuqyn
09-07-2007, 08:21 PM
I too have the same problem when using BAM, however, it only seems to happen when running SETI, all other projects seem to work just fine. also the only two things I see BAM doing is making it easier to juggle many projects and preferences. for direct management I use boincview.