PDA

View Full Version : RND@Home Boycott

PoorBoy
09-11-2007, 03:20 PM
I suggest that nobody run this Project http://arcoboinc.unex.es/rnd/ because of the Absurd amount of Granted Credit the Project gave the few participants that were attached to it for the last year or so. The Administration has already admitted to giving 100 Times the normal amount that is given at most of the other BOINC Projects.

There is a push under way to keep the Project's Stats from being posted at any of the Stats Sites until the Project Administrators either Reset the Credits or reduce them by at least 99%.

Even now their still giving 100 Times the Credit after being told that their Credit Granting was way out of line with the rest of the BOINC Projects, seems they feel their WU's are so hard that they need to Compensate the Participants for doing the work.

I had 4 of their WU's running @ 1 time on 1 of my Quads with no problems & it looked like they would finish in 6-8 hr's, so where their getting the notion that their WU's are so hard to do is beyond me, I aborted the WU's after an hour or so.

NeoGen
09-11-2007, 03:32 PM
I've joined yesterday and downloaded only 3 workunits. Finished two so far, taking around 7 hours each... don't have any credits for them yet.
Have a third one that is running for 9 hours and is still at 20% and slowly going. I'll let it finish because I feel bad when cancelling workunits, unless of course if they're known to be faulty.

I guess that if that is true they really should reset their stats, but I can't say anything because I haven't gotten a single credit out of it yet.
I'll wait and see.

PoorBoy
09-13-2007, 01:58 AM
The Credits have been reset to 1/100th of what they were @ the RND Project, so it looks like the Administrators came to their senses anyway.

NeoGen
09-13-2007, 08:39 AM
I finished my 40+ hours WU and turned it in. Now I'll roam on other projects while waiting for the credits. Neither of the three WUs I crunched has been validated yet.

BobCat13
09-14-2007, 02:05 AM
I finished my 40+ hours WU and turned it in. Now I'll roam on other projects while waiting for the credits. Neither of the three WUs I crunched has been validated yet.

The one WU I have turned in received credit in less than a minute. If you haven't received credit yet, they probably are invalid.

Do you know the WU name for any of the 3? It should look something like "Unidadfichsal12323311221.txt" which is the one I validated (http://arcoboinc.unex.es/rnd/workunit.php?wuid=1368). If you can provide a WU name, I will find it and see what the status is.

vaughan
09-14-2007, 05:14 AM
I aborted by Windows task after 40 hrs as it was already 18 hrs overdue and only half completed.

My Linux task (singular :icon_twisted:) gets a computation error immediately. I tried detaching and re-attaching to the project. Message says reached daily quota of 1. Bah humbug. :icon_rolleyes:

NeoGen
09-14-2007, 06:43 AM
The one WU I have turned in received credit in less than a minute. If you haven't received credit yet, they probably are invalid.

Do you know the WU name for any of the 3? It should look something like "Unidadfichsal12323311221.txt" which is the one I validated (http://arcoboinc.unex.es/rnd/workunit.php?wuid=1368). If you can provide a WU name, I will find it and see what the status is.
They were "Unidadfichsal..." but the exact numbers I have no idea. The Results view on their site is "Temporarily disabled". :(

AMDave
09-14-2007, 09:26 AM
I am in the same boat.

NeoGen and I both crunched successful Wus at the same time. Although the BOINC client showed them to be OK, none of them registered on the project. So basically we crunched for no points at all.

As an ATA, I expect this, but usually I stop until it is acknowledged and fixed. Neither of these things have occurred yet - obviously acknowledgement will not be forthcoming until the forum is open and these issues can be discussed openly.

It strikes me as conspicuous that this project has been around for a year and is yet so under-developed.

We shall watch the next steps closely.

PoorBoy
09-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Same here, I turned in one 8 hour Wu but it never made it, something about no output file when it finished. From what I'm reading at several other Forums is that the Linux app's are ok and the guys are receiving credit but the Windows app isn't and very few Wu's make it or get Credit even if they seem to finish okay ... :icon_rolleyes:

I'll put the Project on hold until the Forum opens at the Project and the issues are fixed first. It seems almost all the new projects don't have a Message area when they start up anymore, maybe they don't want to be bothered with all the problems ... :icon_wink:

BobCat13
09-14-2007, 03:51 PM
NeoGen, AMDave, PoorBoy,

If any of you are running a 5.10.x cc, look in your BOINC folder. There should be a file called job_log_arcoboinc.unex.es_rnd.txt which contains the names of the WUs. Look after the nm for the WU name. If I have the full WU name I can find the result file to see if any error(s) reported.

PoorBoy
09-14-2007, 04:07 PM
I can't do that as I Detached all my PC's from the Project so the job log file is gone too. Didn't see much point in being attached to it since it's basically a Linux Project right now & I don't run Linux ...

When the Wu finished there was an error or message that the output file was missing, so I didn't expect to get any Credit for it once I seen that ...