PDA

View Full Version : Comcast said I was abusing my connection.

AQUAJOE
09-14-2007, 03:40 AM
OOPS I tweaked my Clients so well I came up on Comcasts Radar.

Here's how it works:
They take the top 10% of Highest bandwidth users.
Then take 10% of the first 10%.
The they take 1/10 of that 10% and those are the abusers.

They said I moved just under a Terrabyte of data in the last Month.

That was all Crunching and web crawling and gaming. No downloading of movies or music.

They said I need to get it back down to at least 400 gig a month. They also told me that if I ever come up on the abusers list again they will cut my service with no notice and ban me for a year.

This was comcast security services I was dealing with. They actually shut down my connection until I called them. It took them 7 hours to turn it back on.

In the meantime I called there Tech support and sales and asked if there was a bandwidth limit and the sales guy said no. and the technician said yes but Comcast won't tell us what it is.

Nice huh.

So what it comes down to is that sliver of high bandwidth (abusers) changes every month depending on what everyone uses. So if everyone one uses less in a given month the limit will decrease like a curve for grades.

So no Majestic for me. Not worth losing my connection.:sad5:

Also the technician I talked to thought it was cool that I could move that much data in that much time.

He said most he has ever got to was 300 gig. They also told my they Avg High users is about 400 Gig.

So I doubled that and then some.

It was fun while it lasted.

AMDave
09-14-2007, 06:13 AM
Oh Yeah! :wav:

AQUAJOE took it to the bleeding edge and survived :icon_twisted:

That's tops :icon_thumright:

The most I managed was 1.5 times my allowed bandwidth; 60GB.
I was allowed 40G (20 peak, 20 off-peak). When I hit the limit half way through the month I was to be "throttled". (no, not the way my wife does it ! :icon_rolleyes: ) You got dropped in priority if you have used more bandwidth than someone else who is trying to use the network. No-one was really hitting the bandwidth in my area so I got away with another 20G by the end of the month.

Since I moved I'm with another provider with half the allowance, but it is twice the speed and now my son gets to play WoW he's draining it fast.

spikey_richie
09-14-2007, 08:06 AM
Who's your ISP AMDave?

My connection at my grandparents in Warwick is 2mb ADSL which is £29.99 pcm unlimited. At Emma's parents house, they have NTL which is 6mb and also unlimited (although I hear there's an informal 30gb pcm limit)

WoW doesn't use a GREAT deal of bandwidth, in fact you can (just about) play on dial-up.

Nflight
09-17-2007, 08:09 PM
AquaJoe they must have seen you coming and decided not to piss you off that much. Or maybe this writer is full of crap and barking up the wrong tree!
http://www.dailytech.com/No+Usage+Limits+for+Comcast+HighSpeed+Internet+Cus tomers/article8901.htm

However this works I suggest you get whom ever slowed down your systems on Majestic-12 to turn them up again. Whoopie no limits...:blob3:

AQUAJOE
09-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Yea I guess not. I did move 948 gig of data. Like I said it was fun while it lasted.

Steve Lux
10-21-2007, 04:27 PM
AQUAJOE: So, why not simply lower your output to what you can get away with and keep working? It's more fun for me when I have someone chasing. Also, there are very few folks working in MJ-12, so at the moment the best we can hope for is to maintain our placement.

I practically lost my ISP for about a week. I was never off from work (10-12 hrs/day - 6 days/week) in time to go to my provider's office (a local small town mom-and-pop phone/cable/ISP service) and I don't have enough free time at work to call them, but my service came back online Friday night, so I'm back at it on MJ-12. During the last week I could barely struggle out a few thousand URLs with MJ-12 and keep Einstein and D20L running, but couldn't seem to get Internet Explorer to pull up any URLs.

I did all the tests on my system at home I could think of and couldn't find any issues in my system. Somehow, in the evening on Friday my broadband, such as it is, started running at full speed again.

Another thing I have noticed; Thanks to MJ-12 I have to re-boot my system about once a week to keep Norton's CCProxy.exe from taking over my system resources. Otherwise after about 3 weeks CCProxy will consume 70-80% of my system resources - significantly reducing my crunching ability in other projects. I'm not sure but think what CCProxy is doing is recording and checking all of the web URL's that MJ-12 is visiting. I noticed that while MJ-12 was being limited by the access issues CCProxy didn't try to take over my system. Since my ISP started working again and MJ-12 started cranking out at full speed, after 2.5 days CCProxy is already up to using 10% of system resources.

Frederic Brillouet
10-21-2007, 06:39 PM
AQUAJOE: So, why not simply lower your output to what you can get away with and keep working? It's more fun for me when I have someone chasing. Also, there are very few folks working in MJ-12, so at the moment the best we can hope for is to maintain our placement.

I practically lost my ISP for about a week. I was never off from work (10-12 hrs/day - 6 days/week) in time to go to my provider's office (a local small town mom-and-pop phone/cable/ISP service) and I don't have enough free time at work to call them, but my service came back online Friday night, so I'm back at it on MJ-12. During the last week I could barely struggle out a few thousand URLs with MJ-12 and keep Einstein and D20L running, but couldn't seem to get Internet Explorer to pull up any URLs.

I did all the tests on my system at home I could think of and couldn't find any issues in my system. Somehow, in the evening on Friday my broadband, such as it is, started running at full speed again.

Another thing I have noticed; Thanks to MJ-12 I have to re-boot my system about once a week to keep Norton's CCProxy.exe from taking over my system resources. Otherwise after about 3 weeks CCProxy will consume 70-80% of my system resources - significantly reducing my crunching ability in other projects. I'm not sure but think what CCProxy is doing is recording and checking all of the web URL's that MJ-12 is visiting. I noticed that while MJ-12 was being limited by the access issues CCProxy didn't try to take over my system. Since my ISP started working again and MJ-12 started cranking out at full speed, after 2.5 days CCProxy is already up to using 10% of system resources.
throw norton out and give it to someone you dont like (or who's gonna pass you in projects :icon_razz:)

Steve Lux
10-22-2007, 01:15 AM
Yeah, well if I trusted anyone else I likely would. Norton's does a good job of filtering out about 95% of the phishing and spam. I get about 250 e-mails a day, the vast majority of which is junk. Norton's keeps it down to about 10 -15 a day I have to filter though. Not perfect, but I consider it fairly successful. The price I pay for doing far too much surfing in my off hours.

Oh, and Frederic, if you're going to pass me in this project I'd like to invite you to bring it on - you'll have your work cut out for you and the team could use the boost of the several hundred million more URLs it will take you to catch me.