PDA

View Full Version : Recently Joined

Jim_Clark
10-09-2007, 05:21 AM
I joined BOINC and started running PrimeGrid as my major project about a month ago, but didn't join a team right away. I couldn't find my college (NYU) or company (ITT) listed among the teams, so I didn't know what to do at first.

Then I found AMD Users. I recall the days at ITT when I was designing one of the first signal processors, using AMD circuits. (Back in the days when a signal processor was a 10 x 20 inch circuit board.) We needed a faster multiplier, so I met with John Mick of AMD to define what became the Am2516 multiplier, and got a tour of the AMD plant. Since then I have developed a great respect and fondness for AMD, and prefer to use their processors. So AMD Users was a natural choice.

Since PrimeGrid is my favorite project, I found stats here (http://stats.free-dc.org/new/allteams.php?proj=pgrid) that show AMD Users as ranking 6 among teams supporting PrimeGrid. I had to hunt a bit, but I finally found this page (http://boincstats.com/stats/user_stats.php?pr=pg&st=0&hosts=0&ti=14&co=&date=&or=10) to show individual support of members of AMD Users for PrimeGrid. If I am interpreting it right, there are now 74 members of AMD Users supporting PrimeGrid. Is that right?

And even though I have been on the AMD Users team for only about a week, the stats say that among AMD Users supporting PrimeGrid, I rank #2 in credits/week, #4 for credits/month, #4 for average credits, and #36 for total credits. I guess it's easy for a newbie to get high ranks by joining a small group.

http://www.boincstats.com/signature/user_1242941.gif

AMDave
10-09-2007, 10:37 AM
Hi Jim.

Welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the background. You should feel in good company here. There are many of us here who share the sentiment "Once an AMD User, Always an AMD User!"

There is a stats link in the silver bar at the top of the page in this forum that takes you to the stats pages generated by our fearless statsman Ototero. You have also found my other favourite, bok's stats at Free DC.

It won't take much reading for you to find that we have a fairly open conversational style here so please post your thoughts, opinions and experiences if you see a post that catches your attention.

AMDave

vaughan
10-09-2007, 01:56 PM
Welcome to the team Jim. :)

PrimeGrid is a good project to run. It has kept some of my machines warm and contented. :icon_mrgreen:

Nflight
10-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Welcome to the Team there Jim ! :blob3: :blob3:

While I am not a Prime Grid cruncher you may find that you can use your powerful array of machines to crunch on a project for an upcoming race this month! Stay tuned, this is if you like a little competition.

LeBo
10-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Welcome Jim, glad to have you with us. Enjoy yourself. :)

Lagu
10-10-2007, 12:31 AM
Welcome Jim. I hope you will enjoy our membership here and among our other members. As AMDave said so watch my slogan right below my avatar:icon_wink:

shotgunner101
10-12-2007, 09:28 AM
Welcome to the team(AND YES IM BACK FINALLY) How has everyone been?I kinda got lost(on everything but work) when we moved :P