PDA

View Full Version : Now it has happen again..

Lagu
10-10-2007, 12:13 AM
Yesterday when I checked if my computers were alive I found the AMD64 dead. It had shouted down during the night I guess. I did a power on and it started as it always did. I run TSC and MoneyBee and I started both.
TSC started without problem and MoneyBee too. But after a while MoneyBee began blink and I clicked on it and checked “Status output”. To my horror it had lost the MoneyBee concole as it did on my Intel.
I started Dr Watson but it must have been a bad one. No wrong or failure there. Then I started CMD and ran chkdsk and restarted the computer. During the first step of tree it found a lot of errors such “Couldn´t read file-post-segment 2836-25480. I think it was more than 300 of such messages perhaps more. On step 2 chkdsk deleted the remaining segment 25332 and only this not the others. Today I ran chkdsk again and no wrong or failure was found. Strange.

I happen to discover chkdsk create a file PF-file containing messages but it is impossible open this file. It claims a special programme to open it. Why not a file as can be opened by Notepad?

I tried remove Moneybee and reinstall it to no vain.

An interest question is: Is it MoneyBee as cause the computer to do a power off or is it the computer itself as shouted down? I remember Nflight as told us his computer got down after 40 finished tasks but I can’t for sure say it had been lesser or more than 40 before it died.

When I had this failure on the Intel I reinstalled the OS and after that all was fine. But there is a difference: when I ran chkdsk no bad sectors, file segments or files was found and Dr Watson was a god one and worked out what was wrong. But what happen if I have used up all 3 installations as am is allowed. If I want to reinstall WIN a 4th time how will I activate it?

Now when am no longer can run Money I crunch TSC instead.

Lagu:(

Ototero
10-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Sounds to me like a progressive hard disk failure.

Lagu
10-10-2007, 08:10 PM
What shall I say? Now have my Intel C2D been affected of the”MoneyBee lost Console” syndrome. Strange enough the AMD Athlon has not been affected yet. I have write to the staff but I have no hope get any answer. I have even been in 2 forums as have MoneyBee on their lists one from UK and the other from Germany but both seems be inactive or very seldom used. I could not find any related to my problem. And Dr Watson had nothing to say either.

I have been thinking there must be a bug in the client software. I can’t blame my computers both is my newest. I’m now running that project as a screensaver. It is OK on my AMD64 because I seldom use it so I disturb the process. But it is bad for my Intel because I use it for my private needs. :(

Lagu
10-10-2007, 09:22 PM
Perhaps, perhaps not. Yesterday when I should restart the AMD 64 I placed my hand on the chassis and could feel some vibrations as lather disappeared. I couldn’t hear if it was the fan or the disc. That is my Achilles heel. But all other works well and I have not got a feeling or message there is something wrong on that computer.

If the disc should go crazy and the read/write head should begin go very fast fort and back I can’t think it should cause heavy vibrations or perhaps am is wrong? And the fan should only give vibrations if it runs in unbalance for example.

To be honest I have zero experience of accidents with discs and fans. My experience is discs of today and even 10 year back is very reliable and don’t broke down after 5 year. On my Intel PII I have an 8 year old disc as never failed and yet it worked hard running MoneyBee.:)

vaughan
10-10-2007, 10:38 PM
I agree with Ototero's post. Lagu do you have any software for checking the hard disk? You said you ran chkdsk but was this using the chkdsk /f command to fix any errors? Have you tried running Windows defrag utility? Do you have any other diagnostic software like Nortons or there are bound to be some utilities on the internet if you Google for them as "Hard disk utility". Maybe the drive manufacturer has something you can run.

What are the temperatures like in your case and the hard disk?
Try using PC Wizard 2008 (http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php) to test the system.

To answer your question about Windows activation - I have found the Microsoft staff very helpful when you explain what has happened and why you need to re-activate Windows.

Lagu
10-10-2007, 10:45 PM
I got a brave idea: I installed MoneyBee on my Intel using a Memory Stick and voilá it worked. I Change folder to E:/ and only 2 files was installed. I clicked on the MoneyBee icon and the agent started.
Then I tried run the screensaver at the same time and both worked side by side. Perhaps I have found the solution run that project on both instanses.:icon_wink:

Note: I didn´t get the registration file but so far all seems right. My Username is right and my rank is lesser than the other and I will watch if it will come up to the others rank and catch them.:icon_rolleyes:

I will report how it goes.so you guys can do the same. So far it works as a dream. We know there have been a problem how run MoneyBee on 2 instances. For me the screensaver runs during my sleep and during the day.

I tried install MoneyBee on a diskette on my AMD but failed. "No datafile found". Perhaps a Diskette is too slow use and the Format is FAT not NTFS. I noticed how slow it was because the agent took a while to load.:)

Lagu
10-10-2007, 10:56 PM
I agree with Ototero's post. Lagu do you have any software for checking the hard disk? You said you ran chkdsk but was this using the chkdsk /f command to fix any errors? Have you tried running Windows defrag utility? Do you have any other diagnostic software like Nortons or there are bound to be some utilities on the internet if you Google for them as "Hard disk utility". Maybe the drive manufacturer has something you can run.

What are the temperatures like in your case and the hard disk?
Try using PC Wizard 2008 (http://www.cpuid.com/pcwizard.php) to test the system.

To answer your question about Windows activation - I have found the Microsoft staff very helpful when you explain what has happened and why you need to re-activate Windows.

Yes vaughan I had chosen gear F with a slash before. Thank you I have downloaded PC Wisard 2008 and now I will test the system:)

Lagu
10-11-2007, 03:56 AM
I got a message from a popup window as stated MoneyBee screensaver not could run at the same time as the other so I was wrong. It come up when I was sleeping but MoneyBee on a memory stick works as it was on the hard disc whish is fine.

AMDave
10-11-2007, 08:48 AM
I am interested to know if the system drive is formatted in NTFS or FAT32?

Lagu
10-11-2007, 06:58 PM
The system drive is formatted in NTFS AMDave. I ran PC Wiscard 2008 and tested the 1 GB USB memory and the programme found it was FAT.:icon_wink: