PDA

View Full Version : Hey

Mori
08-19-2004, 08:21 AM
Hey guys, I've recently joined you at Distributed Folding. As I'm new to your team, I wanted to drop a word here..

Maybe I'll start by saying something about myself. I'm 17-years-old guy from Poland and I'm interested in computers, RPG and, of course, DC.
My adventure with DC started around '99 - I was then united with Team Wanderlust. After getting more and more bored with UD, I've changed team in '01 I think (maybe later, someone should correct all the dates, I never bothered about them too much) - I've joined SoB with Team AnandTech.. Then I was changing DC's very often. I was quite active in ChessBrain - you can read some text translated into polish by me on CB page. Then I was bored again - left DC for about a year and came back in '03. TA was not the same anymore - I wasn't fully satisfacted with it anymore. That why I've left their boeard and just let my MD5CRK client work... Now, I've decided to change DC again and I've found DF idea interesting - so I've joined. Then I searched for a team - I remembered seeing you guys in stats and I won't forget my second best processor (in fact, that my second processor - guess I don't have much money to buy new stuff :P)(the first is, for those who are interested in it, 486DX - man, I've loved it then, early last year I've had to sell it :(), so I decided to join AMD Users and here I am.

Now, I've seen goals on your homepage - wonder if I should change DC to help you in these projects (I'll give you my sys specs, tell me which DC is the best for me). But one thing must be stated - I need DC that can save proccesed data very often - sometimes my comp is on for more than 24hours, sometimes for 2-3h only andI don't want to lose all power used!

My system:
Yakumo 17'' LCD
Lexmark X5150
A4TECH USB SWOP-80 Office 8K
Logitech Corded Deluxe Access keyboard
2 speakers

Inside:
ABIT KT7A
AMD Athlon 1 GHz Thunderbird
256 Mb SDRAM
40 GB Seagate Barracuda III ATA100
GeForce 2 MX 400/440 Pro
SoundBalster 128 PCI
LG 52x24x52x
Floppy disk dirve
Planet 10/100 MBPS Ethernet Card

Cheers,
Mori

PS. If you need help with HTML, I know it good enough I think. I also know a little bit of PHP and basics of programming in C/C++. Oh, and language - translation into polish and from polish into english (got A from FCE exam (http://img26.exs.cx/img26/4879/AzFCE.jpg) :D).

Empty_5oul
08-19-2004, 08:47 AM
thats kool

i hope ur gonna stay with us tho and not move off after a while !!
i would say run any project you want, if you look at the forum topics you'll see many projects r run by AMD Users.
Also sometimes we have a team vote on the "priority project" for that month or whatever, we then decide to get to a certain number or position in that project. Currently this is D2ol but now we have the rank we wanted - so it is likely to change.

you say you know some programming, this is something one of our members created http://www.geocities.com/ototero/amd/amd_users_position.html
it has the date and current position for every running project here. IT is currently updated by hand, would there be a way to take the numbers from the websites or somewhere and do it automatically say at 12:00 every day ??

vaughan
08-19-2004, 08:51 AM
Welcome to the team Mori. :)

When you say you need a project that saves often is that more because you need to turn the computer off or some other reason? If you need a DC project that includes frequent checkpointing (so it will resume where it last saved and not have to start crunching the same work all over again) can I suggest DF, Muon1 / DPAD, 17 or Bust, DNet and Seti are all good. CB needs internet access during its activity, much like Gomez (a paying project). Also Ubero but that project is recycling old data so is "useless" even if it is very stable and well liked by some on this team (me included). You could experiment with Predictor but it is still very Alpha so prone to being off the air. I understand that Find-A-Drug also checkpoints and believe its author originally established the United Devices (aka Grid) project. I might be wrong on the history of this but I'm sure someone can correct this if required.

Vaughan

Mori
08-19-2004, 09:32 AM
vaughan, LoL, but I knwo alot about CB and don't need help with it :] I've been with it for a very long time!

Oh, and, sorry guys, but it's funny to hear ever1 talking about bandwith limits - I've got 2Mbit connection without any limits, paying about 12,5$/month (50zl).

I've runned mostly all projects you mentioned (except Ubero, but it's not active according to AspenLeaf (http://www.aspenleaf.com/distributed/ap-lsciences.html#ubero)).

I found FAD very slow, it takes some days to finish just one WU on my comp. Seti: heh, I just hate this project. Joined once to help TA, but said to myself: never again! DF -> Running now a CLI version, it has cool 'graphics' :] DPAD -> now, I've runned it, it's fast and ok, but I can't really understand the idea of the project, so I don't want to came back to it. 17 or Bust -> one of already tried projects, funny only for a while ;) I've talked about UD earlier...

Now, when it comes to Predirector or Lifemapper -> how often they save their progess? And how long it would take to finish and send back 1 WU?

I've read topic about AMD Cluster donations - wonder if Gomez if a good project to earn cash for it? Anyway, if I join Gomez, all the cash be spend on donations, as PayPal if not available in Poland :( So, if they really pay, maybe I could help that way?

@Empty_5oul
Yeah, I pend about 2-3 hours yesterday reading this forum, so I know about this page.. Hmm.. I'll look if I could write good script, but don't expect me to do it for sure - I'm not so good in PHP, and, for sure, it needs PHP script to get the data from XML sites with stats... But I'll look wneh I got more time..

D2OL -> seen this project, computed for a while, but.. I think that graphics are just too fancy - I'm quite sure it would run faster without them! Like DF!

Empty_5oul
08-19-2004, 09:50 AM
predictor is quite gd.
it will save its progress often due to running under BOINC. On my machine it takes about 1hour ish to complete a WU - but this depends of the complexity of the protein u download, my longest on here (AMD XP 3200+) was 2hours.
As Vaughan said it is up and down a lot tho and so may not be worth trying, i dont know if currently they are allowing sign up // new members joining.

Mori
08-19-2004, 01:08 PM
Thx Empty, maybe I'll look at it later..

Any1 knows if Gomez really pays and if it's good for making donations for AMD Cluster?

Beerknurd
08-19-2004, 07:58 PM
Gomez only pays if they seect your agent... They only need agents in weird ass places with diffrent connections.... I don't think it's worth it. I downloaded it but they told me that I was needed but to continue running it just in case... "Yea right" I turned it off that day. Plus it takes away crunching power

Empty_5oul
08-19-2004, 08:18 PM
what does Gomez do exactly.
from the site i understand it seems to do web stuff, but i dont understand exactly what. it seems to kill bandwidth tho from the reports.

Beerknurd
08-19-2004, 08:21 PM
I just know that it uses bandwith for something..... Probably to run some guys business in China or something. He just pays you 5 cents a day so you feel like your accomplishing something... LOL

Mori
08-20-2004, 07:36 AM
5 cents per day or hour? Or maybe it is active only 1 hour a day? 'Cos if it was 5c/day that wasn't be even 2$/mo.! That's ridiculous!