PDA

View Full Version : Running

drezha
10-26-2007, 09:07 PM
I treid running this on Linux earlier and struggled. I followed the instructions on the Eon site and it originally appeared to start but then I got nothing:( It seemed to stop and no work happened.

Is it because I closed the terminal window?

Nflight
10-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Brucifier would be the best bet to answer this question, or even AMDave!

Brucifer
10-26-2007, 09:42 PM
When I was running eon heavy on linux I set mine up like;
/home/user/eon/one/eon_client
/home/user/eon/two/eon_client and so on for the number of instances.

in each eon_client directory you should have the following files;
client client.cfg client.log key.pub libAlCli.so setuser.pl

use a text editor to edit the client.cfg file to make sure you have the correct email address. Then fire off the client with
./client --------> if you are going to keep the shell window open, or
./client & -------------> if you are going to close the window or log off, and want to keep the client running in the background.

you can do that for each instance. Myself, I keep the windows open so I can keep an eye on things and don't really recommend running eon in the background due to it's notorious zzzzzzzzzz's

You might just look at running a couple instances per processor, or even just one, and then also running another project, and re-nice the other project so that it runs a step lower in priority than eon. So that way when eon goes on it's zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz's, the other project will soak up the processor time.

drezha
10-27-2007, 07:06 AM
Cheers :)

I'll run it in the shell window on a different desktop then.

Brucifer
10-27-2007, 10:49 PM
I would *really* *really* run it with another backup project so that you don't lose the cpu cycles when the zzzzz's start in. Otherwise eon can get very frustrating. :icon_mrgreen:

drezha
10-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Got it running fine on my server. I'll stick with just Eon on that as it works as it is now. Maybe in a few weeks I'll test something else as well but I'll soak test it as it is now. I mean the board is fanless as well so I don't want it to overheat!

But how can I add it to my Windows dual core laptop on top of a BOINC install? I'd like to add it so that I have 2 instances (one per CPU) and so that BOINC will not run when Eon has work?