PDA

View Full Version : BOINC Command Line

drezha
11-22-2007, 12:04 AM
I want to run command line on my linux rig.

I've setup all the projects on it so far so I was wondering if the following command would work and what others that run if command line have.

Been using http://boinc.berkeley.edu/trac/wiki/BoincCmd as a guide...

My command I want to use is:-

boinc_cmd --read_global_prefs_override

Also what happens if I run another command, like

boinc_cmd --get_results
when the first command is already running?

vaughan
11-22-2007, 06:07 AM
Could you run your second command from another Terminal session then close it when you have the answer you want?

drezha
11-22-2007, 09:12 AM
The first command wont run.

I get an error saying cant connect to localhost, connection refused.

LeBo
11-22-2007, 01:02 PM
The first command wont run.

I get an error saying cant connect to localhost, connection refused.
Make sure you have already started the client with the command "./boinc" from BOINC directory, then make sure you start boinc_cmd from the same directory. Also make sure you use the password command also

drezha
11-22-2007, 01:17 PM
Ah I see.

Didn't know I had to start ./boinc. That would explain it. And would also answer my question above about the commands.

Brucifer
11-22-2007, 02:23 PM
uhmmm.................... what are you really trying to do here?

When on the extremely rare occasions that I run boinc on a linux system, it's usually a gutted linux system without X installed. And I don't follow the "factory" recommended way of setting boinc up either. I run separate directories for whatever boinc project I want to run. That way if I'm running something that isn't my cough, choke, gasp, "favorite" boinc project :) and all of a sudden my really cough, choke, favorite boinc project comes up with a whole bunch of new work units, then I just quite my non-favorite one, and change directories over to my cough, choke, favorite one and fire it off. And this way too, if I want to detach from a project, I don't run any chances of hosing up the installation for other projects. About the only downer I can see is that if a person is in to the cross-boinc stats thing, that might be a problem. But then I don't worry about that since I don't go in for those long signature files with every boinc stat is the world in them. :)

example:

/home/user/wcg/BOINC
or
/home/user/seti/BOINC

I also don't use any of the boinc_cmd stuff. I just fire boinc off with the ./boinc command in the directory and let it go. Control-C to stop. Less overhead and all. Can still issue the important commands without using the boinc_cmd thing.

Clear as mud? :)

cicide
11-22-2007, 03:31 PM
I run my linux systems all command line (no X on them, plus they are remote so I ssh into them). I use the run_client script provided, and I add the option that allows remote gui access. Then I start boinc like this:

nohup ./run_client > /dev/null &

run_client is just a script that executes ./boinc with some options.

-Chris

drezha
11-22-2007, 03:32 PM
uhmmm.................... what are you really trying to do here?

Run without the overhead of the GUI. And if I can use BOINC with no GUI, then I can turn the X server off and run the entire server with no GUI giving no graphics overhead, something that would come in useful on this system. (low power CPU, shared memory for gfx)

I thought the startup command was boinc_cmd --read_global_prefs_override but if it's ./boinc, as long as it uses the overriding preferences on the PC, I dont mind. (I control BOINC from each PC, makes it easier for me)

Brucifer
11-22-2007, 05:03 PM
I use the home setup on the project site, so I can just use the ./boinc command. but if you want to locally over-ride those setting I see why you are using the boinc_cmd method.

drezha
11-22-2007, 10:18 PM
Got it working now.

Just got to figure how to turn off the X server...

cicide
11-23-2007, 01:52 AM
Got it working now.

Just got to figure how to turn off the X server...

edit your /etc/inittab and set run level to 3 from 5

drezha
11-23-2007, 09:13 AM
AFAIK that took the multi user priviledges off as well does it not?

I need my user, chris, to remain active and I also need my web server user, www-usr, to remain active to deal out webpages.

cicide
11-23-2007, 03:46 PM
AFAIK that took the multi user priviledges off as well does it not?

I need my user, chris, to remain active and I also need my web server user, www-usr, to remain active to deal out webpages.

No, run level 3 is still multi-user and network enabled. I have all but one of my linux systems running at run-level 3 and they have www servers, nfs servers, sql servers, file servers, etc. on them.

-Chris

drezha
11-23-2007, 07:38 PM
so to switch back to GUI, I change back to run level 5?

so how do I change?

sudo vi /etc/inittab ?

And does it require a restart etc?

cicide
11-26-2007, 10:46 PM
so to switch back to GUI, I change back to run level 5?

so how do I change?

sudo vi /etc/inittab ?

yes

And does it require a restart etc?

yes

drezha
11-27-2007, 07:36 AM
Much appreciated:icon_thumright:

Moving it to Damn Small Linux and a Compact flash disk today so I'll try it on that:)

Brucifer
11-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Be sure and post what you do and all, would be interesting to read about! :)

I haven't tried DSL yet, but have been looking hard at it.

drezha
11-27-2007, 06:04 PM
Well DSL seems to be having trouble with either the PC or the KVM I'm using as it's giving errors on boot and if it does boot, not letting me use my KB+M. Not tried it not attached to the KVM but that might be the issue.

DSL is nice, I like it. Not sure if it's a true desktop linux though. I am going to be buying the DSL book at somepoint that Amazon have as I quite like the look of it and want to play with DSL some more.

Brucifer
11-27-2007, 08:54 PM
So is the KVM you are using one that is switched by keyboard keys, or by a bottom on the KVM or both? I tried some of the keyboard key combinations ones in the past and was not impressed with the results. Now I just use ones that have a button for switching.

drezha
11-27-2007, 09:54 PM
It's got a button on the KVM which is sat next to me on the desk. It has been working fine on Ubuntu and Windows for a while. It only started playing up when I moved the other PC to a CF card to reduce it's power consumption.

Brucifer
11-27-2007, 10:53 PM
heh......... strange.............

Bender10
11-28-2007, 12:08 AM
I have my CF Booted computer (FreeNas ala' FreeBSD) running through a KVM, and have not seen these problems.

I'm going to stick with the Transend CF Cards. And try Booting to a different OS next.

drezha
11-28-2007, 09:16 AM
I dont believe it's a KVM problem at all. I'm using a Belkin KVM with attached sound and it takes USB KB+M.

I shall try running DSL without the KVM but I think it's an error with my system.

AMDave
11-28-2007, 10:11 AM
Question:
Are you using a "powered" KVM switch with it's own independent power supply or is it passing through the power from each machine to the devices (ie USB KBD & Mouse thru-switch) ?
Reason:
thru-switch KVMs may dupe the linux OS into failing to recognize the keyboard or mouse correctly and then they don't get enough power

Also, is the mouse a USB Optical?
Reason:
This is especially the case with optical mice as they need that tiny extra bit of power to run the LED/Laser.

A powered KVM switch should never have this problem.

If none of these are your problems then you may want to hit up the DSL forum:
http://damnsmalllinux.org/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi

For future reference getting into IP-KVM is a better option, although I still profer to control my machines via IP from a single machine via SSH console or VNC (no KVM switch required, no extra co$t )

AMDave
11-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Duuuh. Forgot to add....

BTW, you know that if you run BOINC in RPC mode (see previous notes by me in this forum or by others in others), you don't have to execute command line instructions. You would be able to connect to the BOINC manager on your win-workstation to the BOINC-client on your DSL machine.
No problems. Been doing it for ages. Next upgrade to that (thanks to Jason1478963) is to slap BOINCview onto a machine to give you full controll of all BOINC instances at once. Very neat. I never saw the BOINC manager interface for months after that :D

drezha
11-29-2007, 12:41 AM
Using a cut back distro of Debian now. Installed network debian, stripped out the CUPS services, disabled logging services, removed extra non useful packages such as CD burning bits (PC has no CD drive)

It's a Belkin that draws power from the USB ports. it was cheap but has been working no trouble. And is now working no trouble what so ever. Yes it is a laser mouse.

As for BOINC RPC, don't I have to start BOINC locally before I can use BOINCView? I have used RPC control and BOINC briefly. Worked fine from memory.