PDA

View Full Version : Check Disk

Lagu
11-30-2007, 12:12 PM
By chance, I discovered Disk Repair tools from one of Microsoft’s pages. It was about how you can speed up your computer.

Detect and repair disk errors on XP

In addition to running Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter to optimise the performance of your computer, you can check the integrity of the files stored on your hard disc by running the Error Checking Utility.

As you use your hard drive, it can develop bad sectors. Bad sectors slow down hard disk performance and sometimes make data writing (such as file saving) difficult, or even impossible. The Error Checking utility scans the hard drive for bad sectors, and scans for file system errors to see whatever certain files or folders are misplaced.

If you use your computer daily, you should run this utility once a week to help prevent data. (We as run Distributed Computing has a lot of disk traffic every day. This is my own comments.)

To run the Error Checking utility:

Close all open files, even your Antivirus programme
Click on My Computer or whatever you have named it.
In the My Computer window, right-click the hard disk you want to search for bad sectors, and then click Properties.
In the properties dialog box, click the Tools tab.
Click the Check Now button.
In the Check Disk dialog box, select the Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors check box, and then click Start.
If bad sectors are, choose to fix them.TIP: Only select the “Automatically fix file system errors” check box if you think that your disk contains bad sectors.

I ran this tool on both my Intel C2D and AMD Athlon 5126EA. When running it runs in 4 step. 1-3 went relatively fast but step 4 took 1 hour on the Intel as have a disk at 230 GB. AMD Athlon has a disk at 40 GB. It was faster finished on the AMD. But who know, perhaps there is bad sectors as “Check Disk” is trying repair it takes longer time but I got no message about bad sectors.

I think the larger disk you have the longer step 4 takes. If you have a disk at 500 GB, you may have some patience. If you have a disk at 1000 GB run it and go to bed.:icon_mrgreen:

It takes lesser time run Chkdsk using gear f but that is only a control not an attempt to fix any disk problems.:)