PDA

View Full Version : Question

Lagu
12-07-2007, 08:05 PM
Today I reinstalled XP because I had problem download a Microsoft.NET.framework patch and MoneyBee won´t work. Only as a screensawer. I had also problem run Cosmology because their server told me I had too little space and another 210 MB is needed.
I could run MoneyBee as a service again but Cosmology was as before. Yet I had reformat the whole disk. I cant beleive that the AMD64 has such problem. I tried all settings but yet I have 0,47 GB as a limit. IF I choose 600,700,800 MB Boinc yet tell me there is only 0,47 GB

I had to install drivers and utilities. One was this called LOFORMAT and I dont understand what it mean. It is a ABIT motherboard with uGURU. It is from a Readme file.

Dear Customer:
The following list is the major directory and utility in the folder.
Utility\LoFormat <DIR> : LOFORMAT.EXE --- IDE Hard Drive low level format utility
This utility is provide by AWARD, if no necessary, please don't do the low level to your hard disk.

Can any of you tell me what LoFormat is and why I not should load it if no neccesary? Can it affect the disk negative?

Thanks in advance:)

Steve Lux
12-07-2007, 10:04 PM
Lagu;

From: http://cwww.computing.net/dos/wwwboard/forum/7980.html (Someone was looking for a low level format utility)

"Did you try their web site? Most harddrive makers have it to download from their site.
When you do be careful if you don't do it correctly you will toast your harddrive and it will be worthless!!!!"

Another post on the same web site:

"a low level format won't help you unless you've got a clean bootdisk...and then even with that you don't need to low level format...just FDISK /MBR"

Years ago I used to know stuff. I have become old and forgetful. However, I think that a low level format of your hard disk is basically a complete format from scratch. Everything, including partitions, sectors and even the reserved areas will be wiped clean by a low level format. This utility is not something to play around with unless you know the utility, how it is used and some detailed information (CHS, LBA, platters, sectors, partitions, formatted and raw unformatted capacity, etc.) about your HDD so you can tell the utility how to re-build your hard disk.

My knowledge of such things is from 15 - 20 years ago, so utilities may be a bit more helpful in modern times.

Lagu
12-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Steve,

I understand it is danger use LoFormat.exe and I have not installed it. When I dont knew what it was I decide not use it.

Thanks for the link. Wery interesting and I have bookmarked it for further reading.:)

NeoGen
12-10-2007, 09:16 AM
I remember many years ago seeing a "Low Level Format" option on the bios of old machines (486's I think).
Never used it though... wasn't sure what it would do, so I only used the good old format and fdisk commands. :icon_wink: