PDA

View Full Version : Windows SP2

Beerknurd
08-28-2004, 06:20 PM
After installing Win SP2 has anyone noticed their moniter acting strange. My moniter has little flashes down the left and right sides of the screen.

Have yall ever seen in a commercial or a video when it shows a computer screen and the big white bars are going down the screen. Well that's what mine is doing, but with out the annoying lines. It just kinda pulsates all the way down the left and right side. When it gets to the bottom it starts at the top again...

Does anyone know how to fix this?????

I tried unplugging everything and reconnecting the moniter.....

I first realized this after installing SP2

AMDave
08-28-2004, 11:06 PM
Sounds dodgy.

Our machines at work that now have SP2 on them do not exhibit that behaviour.

I would immediately investigate your video drivers and re-install them if necessary (personally I would do it anyway just to be on the safe side). Also check the website for the driver provider to make sure that there are not compatibility issues...they may have another driver update ready for your. Check your version # against theirs.

That is all that I can offer. I will tell the others about your problem so that they can look out for it too.

Beerknurd
08-29-2004, 04:22 AM
I uninstalled SP2, it corrupted the registry somehow. I had to reformat my C: drive. That was about 4 o'clock this afternoon. It's now 11:21 pm and Everything is finally working perfectly. I'll take my risk getting a virus... I will never install SP2 again.....

Empty_5oul
08-29-2004, 09:48 PM
tlking of that my dad had a monitor prob after installing SP2. He uses his comp all the time and it is the internet server and has run solidly for the past 4 years.
i put SOB n it and he thinks this caused his mon. probs but i believe it to be SP2. His screen would become unresponsive and sometimes you could only turn it on by turning the monitor off and back on again it wouldnt respond to mouse wiggling :S. Also sometimes programs would shake/wobble on the screen, it was a weird problem lol.
seems to be ok now though after another re-boot.

Keith75
08-29-2004, 10:35 PM
Well, this weekend I got a 250 Gig. HD to replace my 120 Gig. and instead of migrating all the files to the new drive with the Maxtor program like I usually do I did it manually. I put in the new drive and installed XP Professional with SP2 on the machine and then copied my programs over. It seems to work perfectly and I am pretty happy. I did go in and turn of the firewall and some other warning features though.

Keith

Beerknurd
08-30-2004, 03:58 AM
Turns out it wasn't SP2. I cleaned my hard drivve and started over yesterday. This morning it started doing it again. I'm calling Dell tomorrow and I will have them ship me a new monitor.

Could it be a bad surge protector maybe... Would it be worth buying a new one before I make Dell ship me a new monitor????

vaughan
08-30-2004, 04:47 AM
Damage is probably already done. Get a decent UPS and plug everything in.

AMDave
08-30-2004, 10:48 AM
I was intrigued by this so I caught up with a couple of the guys in IT.

They believe that the highest probability is h/ware. likely related to capacitors in the rastor controller depending on the age of your equipment.

Apparently capacitors used to be manufactured to a "longest" possible lifespan which in reality was about 3 to 5 years. As we know manufacturing processes used to be pretty robust (always err on the side of extreme caution). This is why there are so many old x86 motherboards around that still work. But in recent times the capacitor manufacturing processes have been refined (read cost optimised).

One of the problems of the old capacitors was that you could not see any evidence of the electrolyte expiring. This could have been dangerous in some cases. An ex-colleage of mine now works with a television camera maintenance crew and has explained to me that they now replace ALL capacitors on their equipment between 6 and 12 months (generally they have a lot of high voltage capacitors, though). He reminded me that you now see the "+" on top of the capacitors. The centre of the "+" expands outwards until electrolyte actually exudes from the crack. This is aparently a design for safety as it reduces the likely hood of an explosion of the capacitor which might result in an electrical fire when the electrolyte might explode out of the seal on the side of the capacitor onto other charged elements.

This reminded me that I have had a couple of boards at work exhibit spontaneous reboot problems (just like some viruses cause), but they turned out to be expired capacitors. (The tech pointed them out to me at the time but I did not understand what he was pointing out to me...I remember I was on the phone at the time). The lease company claimed that we must have experienced some power spikes to cause that to happen, but the technicians are adamant that that was Cr*p.

Lets cut a long story short... Capacitors are in almost everything electrical...they now have an expected lifespan of 2 to 3 years in general specification (down from 3 to 5) according to the boys in the know.

They gave a tip to check the build date of the equipment on the serial tag of any equipment before purchase so that you have an idea how lon the components have been "on the shelf", so to speak.

I sometimes get an "electrical" smell that seems to come from the back of my 17inch monitor. They said that it's not likely to be dust. The Man/f date on the serial tag is...Nov-2000. They said "Replace it !" No ifs or Buts. I am now checking off all of the rest of my equipment. I have built my own PCs for years but must admit that I have been letting the periferals ride for a long time.

PLEASE NOTE - they did not discount the possibility that an older driver might not function well with SP2, but said that it "should" have been covered off by MS & the vendors (but it would still pay to check their websites).

That's my lesson-learned this week. I hope that someone else may benefit from this.

If you have a similar lesson like this, please drop it into the "Hardware/hardeware" or "Windows/tips & tricks" Forum topics.

If you have read all the way to the bottom of this post, Thank you.

Beerknurd
08-30-2004, 11:52 PM
Damn... we got another typer.... Can we call you BC just for fun....???

I wonder how BC is doing.... ??

Ototero
09-01-2004, 09:10 AM
Dave, I read it to the end, very BCish.

It all seems very plausible. Electronics 10/15 years ago lasted ages, but now, 3 or 4 seems good. Luckily, I've nothing older than 2 years in the house.

When any computer breaks, it's easier to justify it to my wife that I need to upgrade :cool:

vaughan
09-02-2004, 09:01 AM
I installed it on a cruncher running SOB and ChessBrain without problems. This PC has AVG 7 Registered Version as its anti-virus program and XP-SP2 correctly identified it as running. It did not have a firewall so I accepted the SP2 recommendation. I don't run Office XP or Outlook Express on this box.

So far its OK.

AMDave
09-02-2004, 09:51 AM
Beer & Stu posted funnies.

Hey look I can even copy+past too...DROLL, DROLL, DROLL, DROLL, DROLL, DROLL, DROLL, DROLL, DROLL.... :D

Stu, maybe the reason you don't have anything in your house older than 2 years is probably less to do with luck than what I was eluding to. Either that or I'm going to be hounding you for lucky LOTTO numbers every day for the rest of my life. :shock: Hur Hur.

Back to XP. I got around to reading the Advisory papers that came down with the TechNet SP2 components. Grrrr. There are some things that they are building in via the "signed" memory management that smacks of being able to force users to upgrade applications. There are provisions for turning it off. But you have to complete the install the to be able to do it. That could lock up your network apps before you can figure out what's wrong. The doco implies that it is enabled by default It's gunna be a bit messy for the Network guys in the business PC networks.

If you have an application / driver that does not appear to be working under SP2 make sure you read the updated Windows help files on your PC re the signed memory protection. You can turn it off & even just turn it off for certain applications.

Thankfully this does not affect me as there is no way in H*LL I'm going to drag my household into a whole new world of MS bugs.

salkfjdhasdlkfjhasdfakslhvfzxklhjvclkzx
\jchvlkzjxhdvklhdskflhvzxkhjvcxzjckhvkxzjhcvzxdkvj hsz,c.
vhj,xzjvhckjhnxczv.,hasd;khfas;dvckjsnc .,MZNX k;JNd;kljhcas;kljhfck;FCLKJ KFDMDS.V A
KJHFDSV KA ERLJ EAGVZJN.K ;akdshv ak;jdv ;auh;fdvdf
5v4ds24fv635d43f54s3d2f0v5 7dfg6bs0

There you go Lads. More typing. I just can't seem to help myself. Id better go and find myself another TypingTutor & see if I can't beat my hi-scores (YEAH RIGHT !)

Hey Stu. Still waiting to see that Body SLAM ! I'd like to know why I'm getting slapped when I ask my wife for one !

Ototero
09-02-2004, 12:09 PM
Dave,

About everything in my house being under 2 years old, the TV died last xmas, I needed dvd cinema system, washing machine died, kids computers needed upgrading, new laptop 'cos old one died, wife wanted karaoke machine, new kitchen 'cos old one was shit (we just moved in). 'king expensive time.

About the Body Slam, do you want pictures (sorry there isn't any) or a description of what one is?

Stu

Beerknurd
09-02-2004, 10:12 PM
Dammit Stu, next time you go on vacation.............

WE WANT PICTURES!!!!!!!!

Any questions???? I didn't think so. Don't mess up again.....

PS

I hope you had a nice trip.... ;)

Ototero
09-03-2004, 08:24 AM
OK, here is one. The 2 girls on the left got the body shots :D

http://www.geocities.com/ototero/amd/p1010083s.jpg

Beerknurd
09-03-2004, 11:50 AM
How much did that cost??? :lol:

By the way, since we are off subject. My ISP finally got my dsl right...

2004-09-03 07:49:19 EST: 2311 / 314
Your download speed : 2367020 bps, or 2311 kbps.
A 288.9 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 321728 bps, or 314 kbps.

Woo Hoo!!!!!

It takes me like 15 seconds to download an mp3. Not that I do that anyways.... It's illegal... :oops: