PDA

View Full Version : Ps3 Dnet

Bender10
12-24-2007, 11:52 PM
Well, I'm giving dnet a spin with my single PS3. Most of the work has been documented by IronBits (with 7 PS3's, Holy Crap!!), over at Free-DC. Seen here... http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=12717

I should see around 20 ~ 22 T a day. Whatever that turns out to be (I guess it's around 20,000 ppd??). The cool thing is that I get to see 7 cores doing work (all in the same box and under 140 watts)!!

One of the running stats from the cores, shows that they are processing 238.3 Mnodes per second. And each core is doing around 37 Mnodes per second (37,247,00).

I'm still not sure on the stats thing for this project.....

Bender10
12-25-2007, 11:44 AM
So now I'm in the dnet system, with 15,595 points for 1 days werk.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get on the team...:icon_rolleyes:

vaughan
12-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Ask AMDave to help you. He's our team captain for Dnet. I haven't run it for a while so I cannot remember what you have to do.

Nflight
12-25-2007, 02:28 PM
Now all I have to do is figure out how to get on the team...:icon_rolleyes:

At the bottom of the list it states in shaded "I want to join this team" at this link: http://stats.distributed.net/team/tmsummary.php?project_id=8&team=28697

Does this help? :sad5:

Bender10
12-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Maybe. But I'm still waiting for my "password" to gain access to my profile...

Bender10
12-27-2007, 10:35 AM
Well, I got my dnet password. And I have setup my account and stuff. When I woke up (with a little help from the dog) at 0600 (sure is nice to sleep in on the holidays!!). I found that my dnet points had finally landed in the Team stats.

And since I was up, I checked on my "other" projects.

Last night I cranked up BOINC on the PS3, Alongside dnet. I ran a couple of YoYo wu's, and started a PS3Grid wu (those are long. 9 hours @ 25% complete).

dnet and BOINC seem to run fine together on the PS3 (just like a REAL computer, I guess..). And just like a real computer, I'm seeing a slowdown in dnet performance with BOINC running.

Bender10
12-28-2007, 12:25 PM
I'm not sure if running dnet and BOINC (at the same time) on this is a good thing. My dnet output (Mnodes/s) kept dropping all day, with no end in sight. It went from ~240 to 187, during the day. I finally shutdown dnet, so I could finish off the PS3Grid wu.

This may be an issue with the lack of Ram (only 256 Mb?).

Frederic Brillouet
12-28-2007, 03:12 PM
I thought that yoyo project was a ripoff by some dude who just uses boincwrapper for dnet and collects all the points on his own account?

drezha
12-28-2007, 04:23 PM
No, he collects the dnet points for the yoyo project@home account.

But it allows us that run BOINC to run Dnet alongside other projects if we wish and AFAIK, you still get BOINC credits which I much prefer to Dnet points.

Brucifer
12-28-2007, 04:44 PM
And yoyo isn't the only one to do this either. The problem boils down to a compatibility issue between the boinc point system and the other non-boinc point systems. The psp project has had the same problem with the sieving and prp boinc efforts, so they just created one account for all the boinc sieving that is listed on the original stats site, and then the psp boinc site has it's own stats system for the boinc crunchers.

And actually it gives a quick reference for the projects to see what the total boinc contribution is to the original project so it's more of a win-win thing for both sides.