PDA

View Full Version : Got a PS3!

gamer007
12-26-2007, 05:06 AM
Hey guys, got a PS3 for Christmas. :icon_santa:Didn't really expect that.

I'm thinking of trying out Folding@home on it. I can't use PS3Grid since they want the PS3 hardwired to the network (my dad doesn't want to route the ethernet cable all around the whole of upstairs) so I can't help boost my BOINC credits.

Anyone have experiences w/ F@H on the PS3?

Beerknurd
12-26-2007, 05:27 AM
Congrats Gamer!!! I'm jealous!!!

Bender10
12-26-2007, 10:53 AM
Go to the "folding" part of the menu (all the way to the right, in the menu system..i think). Crank it up. Add your user name, and team id (13129).

You still need the internet connection. but the wu's are set to run only ~8 hours.

There may be a couple of updates to load.

Have Fun! (Shhh...it plays games too...don't tell anyone...:icon_santa:)

EDIT: I have Oblivion, Drake's, and Warhawk...

Bender10
12-26-2007, 10:57 AM
I think I read that some people have loaded a Folding wu and carried the darn thing into work with them to plug it in (to power) and run...

mitchellds
12-26-2007, 12:20 PM
Yup I ran it for a good while also. 475 wu's and 5th place on our team. It looks pretty snazzy to.

sentient_life
12-27-2007, 01:40 AM
You can play games on a PS3?

...Just kidding, my 360 wants to join in some distributed crunching, too.

mitchellds
12-27-2007, 04:22 AM
speaking of games for the ps3... I got blazing angles 2, guitar hero 3, and Lair. The GTH3 is a blast. fun fun fun...

PoorBoy
12-27-2007, 08:30 AM
I need to get me a PS3 if nothing else than to just mess with it for now, I have a Coupon that I can get 25% off on 1 if I use it before the 31'st ... :)

Nflight
12-27-2007, 09:17 AM
I can get 25% off on 1 if I use it before the 31'st ... :)

Time is running short PoorBoy, I don't do much gaming if at all, so I have never looked at this device as anything but a waste of time in the past. Now with these new developments in the DCing World, you never know, someday I might indulge!

PoorBoy
12-27-2007, 11:43 AM
Time is running short PoorBoy, I don't do much gaming if at all, so I have never looked at this device as anything but a waste of time in the past. Now with these new developments in the DCing World, you never know, someday I might indulge!

I don't Game anymore either, Carpel Tunnel Syndrome in your Hands and Gaming don't get along to well ... :icon_neutral:

I just want one for the projects to see 1'st hand how they do, I'll probably have to get Bender or Mitch to help me out at first ... :icon_wink:

Frederic Brillouet
12-27-2007, 01:03 PM
I don't Game anymore either, Carpel Tunnel Syndrome in your Hands and Gaming don't get along to well ... :icon_neutral:

I just want one for the projects to see 1'st hand how they do, I'll probably have to get Bender or Mitch to help me out at first ... :icon_wink:
the thing is: carpal tunnel syndrome can be fixed, the loss of gaming time can't! :icon_lol:

No but seriously, its not a big operation Poorboy, I'd say go for it because I can't see why you shouldn't. (But maybe there is a reason Europeans don't get)

mitchellds
12-27-2007, 01:09 PM
I wish I had a 25% off coupon, I might just get another one !! Thats over a 100 clams off the price. You ought to jump on that deal. It is a cool toy! :icon_mrgreen:

PoorBoy
12-27-2007, 01:51 PM
I wish I had a 25% off coupon, I might just get another one !! Thats over a 100 clams off the price. You ought to jump on that deal. It is a cool toy! :icon_mrgreen:

I'm heading over to BestBuy in a little while, I'm not even sure if they have any in Stock, which is the best to get, the 40 - 60 - or 80 GB model ... ???

Bender10
12-27-2007, 01:56 PM
The 40 gig model is the low power....~140 watts max usage.

There are a bunch of 40's on the shelf around her (wer pre-xmas). Everyone seems to think bigger HD is better.

All others are ~180-200 watts.

You can replace the HD in ALL models without voiding the warrenty. I think I found a 2.5" 160 Gig HD for around $60-70.

differences..

1. 40 gig model does not play PS2 games.
2. 60 gig discontinued (??).
3. 80/20 gig some backward compatibility.

PoorBoy
12-27-2007, 01:58 PM
The 40 gig model is the low power....

Ok, thanks Bender, it's cheaper too ... :icon_lol: ... gotta go for now, wifes calling me ... :icon_rolleyes:

PoorBoy
12-27-2007, 11:16 PM
Well I ended up not getting the PS3 at the moment anyway, I went to the BestBuy Store with the Coupon but they refused to accept it on the PS3 ... :cussing:... :icon_rolleyes:

I even called the BestBuy Customer Service and raised hell about it, they sympathized with me on it & even said the issue has come up before on the very same Item but that there was nothing they could do about it. So I'll have to keep an eye out for a good deal on 1 someplace else I guess ... :icon_neutral:

mitchellds
12-27-2007, 11:39 PM
That sucks, how disappointing :icon_mad: There's always a catch unfortunately.

Heck, I need another one myself, my daughter has been playing guitar Hero for 6 hours straight on mine. I cant get any crunch time. :rolleyes:

Bender10
12-28-2007, 12:18 AM
That's sux PoorBoy.

When you said you had a coupon, I went to FatWallet and looked around. I found what I think is the one you have. There is a lot on noise over that one. Some people are getting PS3's with it, others are not so lucky. When people buy low dollar items the coupon works (most times).

It seems it is decided at the whim of the store (on how or what the coupon can be used on). It seems BestBuy is sometimes a -hit or miss- operation when it comes to coupons. And it looks like they are on to this one.

gamer007
12-28-2007, 12:56 AM
That sucks PoorBoy. Hope you find a good deal soon.

I got the 80GB, so I have PS2 compatibility, mainly for Metal Gear solid 3. Unfortunately I haven't found a copy yet.

I've done one Folding WU just recently. :) I'm gonna try to run it as much as I can, but my dad doesn't seem to approve these computing projects. :icon_lol:

PoorBoy
12-28-2007, 01:05 AM
I have Price Alerts out for a PS3 @ several Sites so something will pop up sooner or later, then it's just a matter of getting my order in before their all gone ... :icon_rolleyes:

Bender10
12-28-2007, 12:34 PM
Good luck. Sony is very attached to the price they want us to pay for their toys. :shocked:

Let us (me) know IF you chance upon a deal....:icon_cool:

PoorBoy
12-28-2007, 12:50 PM
I noticed that, seems every place is the same Price, it's a conspiracy I tell you ... :icon_lol:

I'll wait and see what happens after the 1'st of the year, give it a couple of weeks and maybe some places that have a lot sitting around yet might drop their prices some, if not I'll just buy 1 & get it over with ... :)

Brucifer
12-28-2007, 04:47 PM
I noticed that, seems every place is the same Price, it's a conspiracy I tell you ... :icon_lol:

yep........... almost just like the way M$ prices their Windoze stuff.....:rolleyes:

Steve Lux
01-03-2008, 11:41 PM
I bought myself a 40Gb PS3 for Christmas (31 Dec actually), and just got done setting it up to run F@H. I don't play many console games, or computer games for that matter, but it's a heck of a lot cheaper and easier than building another 'puter. For the amount of science for the buck (or watt), I couldn't see a down side from a capital or expense perspective. A rarity in business. It's folding time.

And me with 3 more empty ports left in my hub...

Brucifer
01-04-2008, 12:02 AM
Did you get the extended warranty with it?

Bubben
01-04-2008, 12:47 AM
I´ll look at this from time to time:

http://boincstats.com/stats/team_graph.php?pr=ps3grid&id=12

Bender10
05-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Hey Gamer007,

I'm thinking of trying out Folding@home on it. I can't use PS3Grid since they want the PS3 hardwired to the network (my dad doesn't want to route the ethernet cable all around the whole of upstairs) so I can't help boost my BOINC credits.

I've had my PS3 running PS3Grid wireless for a few months now. It just took (some research) and a little poking around in the network/nic settings.

gamer007
05-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Great to hear. :) Do you know if you can run PS3Grid with a Linux distro already installed? I have Yellow Dog Linux 6.0 installed at the moment.

Bender10
05-11-2008, 10:51 PM
I am still running YDL 5.

You can only run PS3Grid under a Linux distro (YDL) or use the PS3Grid image for a pendrive (thumbdrive).

And you have to use the BOINC version only from the PS3Grid website. Not the standard distro.

Most of the info you need is on the PS3Grid site...