PDA

View Full Version : Router Help Needed...

Keith75
09-04-2004, 12:05 AM
We had a bad lightening storm here at work a week or so ago and it friend 3 of the 4 ports on our router. We have DSL with a static IP address and our network is setup like this. DSL modem goes into 4 port Linksys router which is then plugged into an 8 port linksys switch and also a 4 port linksys switch. The problem is I can't seem to get the new Linksys router to see the internet half the time. It will work for a day or so then just stop working. Then out of the blue it worked again and then 2 days later stopped working. I returned the router for another one, in case it was defective, and the new one is acting the same. The funny thing is I can't even see other computers on the network when it isn't working yet all the computers can ping the router, just not past it. I also replaced both switches. When it isn't working you can plug a computer directly into the modem and use the same TCP/IP settings and it works fine. I can also plug in the old router and use the one good port and everything works fine. The one thing I haven't been able to do is get into the old router and look at my settings because, stupid me, put a password on it and didn't write it down. The old router was an Addtron. Does anyone have any suggestions? Oh, and even when I can't see other computers or ping past the router I am still able to release and renew IP addresses so the DHCP part of the router seems to be working fine.

Keith

Beerknurd
09-04-2004, 12:35 AM
What OS are you using??? I take it since your said it was at work, you must be running NT or something??

Keith75
09-04-2004, 01:28 AM
No, just running a mix of stuff mostly Mac OSX and XP Professional but a few Win 98SE machines too.

Beerknurd
09-04-2004, 02:28 AM
I had complications with some Win 2000 Pro Computers and a wireless linksys router. It would block Internet to all the Win 2000 Pro computer but not effect the Win 98 Comp. For some reason the router config and the network settings in windows 2000 weren't talking to each other. The hardware may not have been compatible. I assume you bought a new router. Make sure you go over the network settings and make your router is configured correctly. It could also be a bad router.... If your settings and configurations are correct try taking the new router back and getting a diffrent model or the same one. Like I said you could have a jacked up router... If that's not it I would have to look at the network.... It could be anything from a pinched cable to a bad router or network configuration....

Sorry, all this typing and no answer.... I'm more of a hands on guy... I have spent many hours trying to get everything set up perfectly at my house.... Every day it's something new... But I love the challenge... That's why i'm going to school for CNS. "Computer Networking Systems". If computer networks were all perfect you wouldn't need Network Admins :shock: Then I would have spent $38,000 for nothing... :?

Keith75
09-04-2004, 02:55 AM
Yeah, this router is the second one. I took the first new one back and that didn't help. And as for it being a computer or cable, that is pretty much eliminated by the fact that I can hook it up to the working port on the old router and the whole network works fine. I am using that as a get by but if that port ever goes bad I am screwed. LOL

Keith

Beerknurd
09-04-2004, 03:32 AM
And as for it being a computer or cable, that is pretty much eliminated by the fact that I can hook it up to the working port on the old router and the whole network works fine. I am using that as a get by but if that port ever goes bad I am screwed. LOL

Keith

Yea I forgot about that statement earlier. I'm clueless... Let me sleep on it and think about it somemore.