PDA

View Full Version : Distributed Folding project ending in October

vaughan
09-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Here's what was posted on the official Distributed Folding forum:

We would like to thank all of our users for their participation in the CASP 6 experiment. We have managed to predict a total of eight targets using DFP. While this is only a small fraction of the targets that were available, we chose some of the hardest ones to predict, and are anxious to see how the present method compares with our other more manual method, as well as other protein folding approaches, after the meeting in December.

After having put forth all our resources towards participation in CASP 6
(http://predictioncenter.llnl.gov/casp6/Casp6.html), we now need to step back and conduct a thorough analysis of our results, as well as an in-depth evaluation of all the methods used, including Distributed Folding.

Having limited resources available in our Structure group, we are faced with the following options:

1. Continue running DFP with the current algorithm, tweaking code in the process
2. Implement Boris Steipe's protein fragment libraries into the Phase II algorithm
3. Modify the Phase II algorithm into a true genetic algorithm
4. Shut down the DF project entirely to focus on development and improvement of our core algorithm via data analysis of available results

We feel that the project would benefit most from taking a break, namely the latter option, while we put our efforts towards providing you with a more robust, scientifically cutting edge platform.

We would like to extend our sincere thanks to all the users who have participated in the project over the past two and a half years. We are grateful for the countless CPU hours you have given us, for your improvement ideas, and for relentlessly testing any changes we made as we progressed towards better software. We have learned much about writing robust software, and we hope you have learned a little about the exciting world of protein folding.

With your help, we have been able to generate large amounts of scientifically significant data that has advanced our understanding of protein folding, and has enabled us to improve our folding algorithms, which may one day allow us to predict protein structure and folding pathways from sequence.

However, due to the aforementioned reasons, we have decided to bring the
Distributed Folding Project to an end upon reaching the 10 billion target on the current protein or on October 1, 2004, whichever comes last. We truly hope that our loyal user community keeps checking back for future distributed projects, as we certainly intend to return with newer and better ideas.

With gratitude,

Christopher Hogue, Howard Feldman and the Distributed Folding team

Beerknurd
09-04-2004, 05:41 PM
Never ran it... But it sucks to see one go.....

Pls log into the members area and vote if you haven't already. There's only 3 votes!!! Me, Vaughn, and someone else.

Empty_5oul
09-04-2004, 07:12 PM
shame to see it go but that meens we now have some extra power as ppl cant run this anymore.
i cant seem to find where you have put the poll :S. if u give directions or pm or somehting i will vote when i find the forum/post

Beerknurd
09-04-2004, 07:20 PM
You may not have access to the member's only section.... That's up to admin to give you access....

Empty_5oul
09-04-2004, 07:22 PM
k, fair enough
can i request access then plz ? Or have a poll somewhere i can get to and vote in, thx
i cant get into the "admin" section for obvious reasons but can get to the members lunge etc, where is ur poll

Oli

Ototero
09-04-2004, 08:02 PM
Hehe, I am the other voter.

Beerknurd
09-04-2004, 11:15 PM
It's a section right below the members lounge, and right above who's online at the very bottom. You can't see it if you don't have access.

Equinox
09-04-2004, 11:54 PM
Pls log into the members area and vote if you haven't already. There's only 3 votes!!! Me, Vaughn, and someone else.

Since I don't seem to have access may I ask what the vote is about?

vaughan
09-05-2004, 01:49 AM
Wut 2 run in Sept.

Beerknurd
09-05-2004, 03:32 AM
I'm gonna try to get to 200,000 in Ubero then I'll run something else...

If I keep the pace i'm on now, I'll get it in about 17 days.....

Empty_5oul
09-05-2004, 07:45 AM
k,
i definatley dont have it, can I be given access or can the poll be moved somewhere where i can reach it and vote.
thx

Ototero
09-05-2004, 12:16 PM
Lets have a vote as to whether we allow Empty into the inner sanctum :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ps, I vote YES (he's British)

vaughan
09-05-2004, 12:42 PM
Done.

Beerknurd
09-05-2004, 01:30 PM
Hey I didn't get to vote......

Ototero
09-05-2004, 03:05 PM
Jason,

You don't get a vote 'cos you've only got an Intel :roll: ;) :roll: ;)

Empty_5oul
09-05-2004, 08:48 PM
thx ototero,
thx vaughan for actually doing it. :thumbleft:

Beerknurd
09-05-2004, 09:03 PM
Jason,

You don't get a vote 'cos you've only got an Intel :roll: ;) :roll: ;)

Ok, that was way harsh...

Empty_5oul
09-05-2004, 09:15 PM
beerknurd: how long till you get an AMD then and become a "true" member.

the semprons are pretty cheap and the 2800 looks quite nice, at this price i might get myself one (for my next machine). the pricewont wk for you being in USA but here is url anyway: http://www.microdirect.co.uk/productinfo.aspx?productID=7054
British £63.99 £75.19 in = USA dollars $113.67 $133.52
then again i like the XP 3200 im using atm, does anyone know what the performance difference is between XP and sempron of the same speed eg both 2800 or 2400 etc ?? just curious

thx

Empty_5oul
09-05-2004, 09:16 PM
just looked at the front page, why have their been so many views to this forum ?? the other top 5 are low and this is like in the thousands :S

Empty_5oul
09-05-2004, 09:17 PM
just looked at the front page, why have their been so many views to this forum ?? the other top 5 are low compared and this is like in the thousands :S

also what do i have to type to display my 17 stats, i lost the url :(

bwhite
09-06-2004, 12:41 AM
This is the url I'm using "http://sobsig.freeserverhost.net/sig.php?yourname"

Hope this helps

Beerknurd
09-06-2004, 04:02 AM
beerknurd: how long till you get an AMD then and become a "true" member.

Here's the situataion.... I have 3 computer crammed into an apartment.

I have my Dell 3.4 P4 system.

I have a Gateway 800 mghz P3

and I have a Packard Bell 100 mghz <--- (It's plugged in but never even turned on)

Until the Gateway falls apart, my wife won't let me get another PC. She finds the whole thing pointless... I told her to wait till we get a house. I'm gonna have several computers.... But if yall want me to leave, I can join the Ninja's..... :-(

Ototero
09-06-2004, 06:47 AM
No, you need to stay. Dunno why, you just do :P

Empty_5oul
09-06-2004, 09:25 AM
nah, i was just asking i want u to stay aswell. otherwise the boards will become static and few posts.

thx for the url ill try it

http://sobsig.freeserverhost.net/sig.php?Empty5oul

AMDave
09-06-2004, 10:31 AM
Stu said....

No, you need to stay. Dunno why, you just do Razz

'coz
(a) I have some thing to aim for in the stats as I follow you both up the ranks
and
(b) Beer's avatars absolutely kill me every time I log on (even when I'm holding my arms in front of the screen to hide from the kids saying "no, no, no..Kermie's just trying on new slippers" ROFL ROFL (oh my sides!)
I am soooo looking forward to the next one.

Beerknurd
09-06-2004, 02:02 PM
(b) Beer's avatars absolutely kill me every time I log on (even when I'm holding my arms in front of the screen to hide from the kids saying "no, no, no..Kermie's just trying on new slippers" ROFL ROFL (oh my sides!)
I am soooo looking forward to the next one.

Trying on new slippers... I'm laughing my ass off and my wife's looking at me like i'm an idiot.... My sides really do hurt now...

SB2
10-02-2004, 04:13 PM
Just a few more days till this project ends...

2004/09/28

Final update for shutdown
The final Distributed Folding update will be released on Tuesday, October 5, 2004, 11:00 am EST. This update should gracefully exit the software on any unattended machines. After this update, no results can be uploaded, and no information can be changed on the website. Once again we would like to thank our loyal user base for your dedicated work over the duration of this project.

The last 4-6 months have been hard on the users with all the server and backend problems the project has experienced, however they have done a remarkable job with what little resources they had on-hand. Perhaps "if" they return as planned they will have secured the neccessary funding (or accept the offers of hardware donations) to get more reliable, faster servers up and running.

Beerknurd
10-02-2004, 07:24 PM
I wonder how many team members we have that only run this project.... They will probably switch to something else after this is over. Is anyone reading this only doing Distributed Folding????

Empty_5oul
10-02-2004, 08:42 PM
following beerknurd, -- if anyone is then plz switch to SOB so we can reach more than 3tera a day, then after two weeks and we have 15th place secure run any project you want :P lol

SB2
10-04-2004, 11:40 AM
So it ends tomorrow, Phase 2 of DF comes to and end and it is questionable if there will ever be a Phase 3. I have one request, could someone take a snapshot of the "Official" statistics just before the client upgrade that shuts the clients down tomorrow. I will not be available at that time to do it myself. I would like to have them (and possible others too) as a historical record saved on our site.

TIA.