PDA

View Full Version : How many blocks are there in a Proth test?

vaughan
09-06-2004, 06:31 AM
This is the formula so that you can calculate how many blocks there are in a Proth test:

Current "n", divide by 1 million, cube this, multiply by 4 = number of blocks in a Proth test.

eg.

If n = 3621578

4x (3.621578^3) = 190

QED

Vaughan

AMDave
09-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Cheers vaughan.

Doing my first Proth test, I have started to wonder when I could expect it to finish. It has been taking rather longer than the 14 day estimate. The % done is handy for estimating a completion date once you are in the run., but it is nice to be able to extrapolate the time out by the # of blocks from the start.

I just calculated that on my current n of 6789740 there are a total of 1252 blocks to be processed. This explains why I am still at 96.1% after 16.9 days.

lots of blocks = more fun !

Your example has a much lower n. Was that an old example or do the n's vary a lot still ? (sorry if this is a silly question but as I have only received 2 n's in the same ballpark I would not know otherwise)

Beerknurd
09-06-2004, 02:06 PM
All the blocks I had were in the high 1,200's. Something would always go wrong with my computer before I could finish one.... I may try it again in a while...

vaughan
09-06-2004, 02:16 PM
Just an example AMDave. :)

Beerknurd
09-06-2004, 11:34 PM
I'm running SOB again. We'll see how it goes!!!!

AMDave
09-07-2004, 09:40 AM
Go Beer ! Go Beer ! Go Beer ! Go Beer !...

Geees ! And I was only 4 spots below you in the Team ranks too.

Don't be discouraged by the hiccups. Following the instructions given by vaughan in the other thread 2 weeks ago I was able to have another go too and by using the STOP button to create a save point (whenever I was passiing the machine) and then START again I was able to get through my first Proth Test.

Yep. You read that right. I finished one ! :)

I was holding off some system changes until my first test completed and my SoB client will be offline for several days while I catch up on a few things. I now know that was unecessary. If you STOP ...wait a bit... and then EXIT before a reboot, it restarts Ok. Give it all a try early on in your test and get familiar with the operation of the client. After that it's simply a case of waiting for the block calculations to complete, which in the case of your P4 would be a lot less than the 17.8 days for my Duron 1.3Ghz.

I set the config NOT to download a new test on completion, and it exited and closed nicely this afternoon as soon as I connected and it uploaded the result. So now I can have a go at recovering the original test that I dropped when I was experiencing the same sort of problems you were when we both started SoB.

I know you love a challenge Beer. I'm sure that's why you started running SoB again ;-) Good luck. Let us know how you travel.

Beerknurd
09-07-2004, 03:42 PM
It's gone ok so far. But we'll see how it plays out... I only have 2 computers.... I don't like too much competition..... :?