PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 3 beta

AMDave
03-03-2008, 01:32 PM
I got the chance late in the evenings last week to try out the Firefox 3 beta 3.
http://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.0b3/releasenotes/

There are a couple of prominent items on the Known Bugs list, which mostly don't affect my browser useage, but it will affect some.
Most of those will likely be fixed by the time it comes out of beta. But it pays to know about them.

Visually there are only a couple of minor changes that greet the eye:
The back and forward buttons look different and the URL history list is under the forward button.
The site icons are enabled by default so the toolbar looks a whole lot better.
The tab-preview is switched off by default. Thank you!
Smart Bookmarks is like a Playlist with most recent and most popular.
(I have already found myself using that)
The intelligent url selection list that updates under the address bar is terrific.
(I don't have to go to a search engine page to find a url anymore).
There are other nice new features that will help enormously (when I get around to all of them).
I already appreciate the zoom-memory which is page specific.

Under the hood things are going very well.
I have not managed to crash it yet & yes I did try.
Where FF2 has previously locked up or shutdown without warning, I got not problem with FF3b3.
(all those FF reports we put in, about problem web pages, were being dealt with!)
Rendering seems to be quicker.
I do notice a slight difference in rendering sequence on some familiar pages so I expect that rendering sequences has been tweaked.
Monitoring the windows task manager shows that the CPU usage remains much lower than before. Excellent news.
Memory usage is about the same as FF2, if slightly less (5%).

The big improvement I am noticing is with pages that are heavily scripted.
This re-write seems to have been built to slice through them like warm butter.
The best thing is I now get a really snappy response with our Citrix connections.
(I back tested with IE and FF2 and they are still much slower - not sure how they achieved this but it is very welcome)

I haven't got on to the plug-ins or enhancements yet.
A Chatzilla updated rolled in today so I break that out for a test tomorrow.

Anyway...
Coming Soon: Mozilla Firefox 3.
I think you are going to like it. Lots.

drezha
03-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Sounds good. I've currently gone back to Opera as I like that and it's lower system usage than FF2.

Though I'm using the Opera beta cos I wanted to try out the new sync bookmarks feature which is the only reason I left Opera to start with

gamer007
03-03-2008, 08:30 PM
I've been using the FF3 beta. Been good so far. AdBlock doesn't work as well as it should, I can't click the little thing to block stuff. The line with the URL to filter out is blank and I have to manually get the URL of the specific thing.

Other than that, it's good. :)

AMDave
03-11-2008, 10:18 AM
beta 4 on deck. all good so far. plug-ins still catching up.

AMDave
03-17-2008, 01:34 PM
drezha

it looks like FF3 is destined to win your favour back, according to some leg work by Gregg Keizer
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1368883081

Cnet have put up an interesting (but very brief) comparison:
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/software/0,39029471,49296021,00.htm
(ends on page 5 - page 6 is just a blatant ad.)

AMDave
04-16-2008, 11:55 AM
FF3 beta 5 has been out for a couple of weeks and its all good.

Point of note: Fedora 9, due for release at the end of this month, will include FF3
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/9/FeatureList

The Fedora wiki did have a specific reference to FF3 beta 5 being the version included in the latest Fedora Beta at the time of code freeze, however it now says FF3 which hopefully means that the FF3 coders are done and have moved onto packaging for delivery.

The FF3 project status page confirms it:

Project Status

Most current activity on the Firefox 3 front is wrapped up in planning, scoping, and assigning tasks. Please see the features list and the planning documents linked therein for more information.

Roll up! Roll up!

Ototero
04-16-2008, 07:40 PM
FF3b5 works fine. There is now an Adblock that works with it.

drezha
04-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Thats good news.

I'm still just going to wait until FF3 is released :p