PDA

View Full Version : A noticed behavior aka wierdness.

Brucifer
03-04-2008, 04:33 PM
I have my main moneybee crunching account, and then I also have a testing account I use for checking out system performance, and have noticed an issue. If you let a moneybee account go inactive due to no work unit submission, and then start crunching it again, continue on crunching with the old work unit. Do not delete the moneybee.dat file and download a new one. You can do that with a "current" moneybee account. However when trying to download a new work unit on an inactive account it seems that one will receive network error #18 issues until hell freezes over. The other way to overcome this is to register a new crunching node, but not a new user. The server then will download a new work unit.

Another weirdness I have noticed is that sometimes the system will hang when it completed a work package (5 nets), and can't be uploaded. It will repeatedly error out if you try and restart the client. What I have noticed that after several tries and not getting a new packet, if I delete the moneybee.dat file, then the system has no trouble downloading a new work packet. I have no idea why that happens, but I have noticed that on a few occasions... not very offten at all though. And again, this is on active crunchers, not cruncher as mentioned in the paragraph above that have become inactive for no work being done in 4 or 6 weeks (whatever it is as I can't recall at the moment).

Ototero
03-04-2008, 04:56 PM
That's a fair bit of investigation. No wonder I've never experienced any problems, I've been crunching solidly for over 2 years.

Brucifer
03-04-2008, 09:29 PM
That's a fair bit of investigation. No wonder I've never experienced any problems, I've been crunching solidly for over 2 years.

You are obviously on the main pipe into those guys so you don't have any connection issues. I sure wish I could say the same. :)

AMDave
03-05-2008, 08:43 AM
That seems to correlate with some of the issues experienced in the past.
Thanks for posting.

Nflight
03-05-2008, 11:12 AM
I have my main moneybee crunching account, and then I also have a testing account I use for checking out system performance, and have noticed an issue. If you let a moneybee account go inactive due to no work unit submission, and then start crunching it again, continue on crunching with the old work unit. Do not delete the moneybee.dat file and download a new one. You can do that with a "current" moneybee account. However when trying to download a new work unit on an inactive account it seems that one will receive network error #18 issues until hell freezes over. The other way to overcome this is to register a new crunching node, but not a new user. The server then will download a new work unit.

Another weirdness I have noticed is that sometimes the system will hang when it completed a work package (5 nets), and can't be uploaded. It will repeatedly error out if you try and restart the client. What I have noticed that after several tries and not getting a new packet, if I delete the moneybee.dat file, then the system has no trouble downloading a new work packet. I have no idea why that happens, but I have noticed that on a few occasions... not very offten at all though. And again, this is on active crunchers, not cruncher as mentioned in the paragraph above that have become inactive for no work being done in 4 or 6 weeks (whatever it is as I can't recall at the moment).

Brucifer: I would like to ask for your assistance. When we do a race I am now requesting that an experienced cruncher aid in setting up a line by line HELP GUIDE. There are newbies who wish to participate and do not have the knowledge base like some of us experienced as us old hound dogs.

So What I need is for you to review this post in MoneyBee http://amdusers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1873 And explain in detail the moneybee.dat file you mention in your quote. I will get spjeff to remove the closed file status so you may enhance our knowledge and we can expect great things from all the newbies and old folks who have lost our way recently.

Can you help us in redefining your methodology to enhance our current output so that when the big race comes around we are overwhelmed not underfunded. Thanks; please pm me if you need to alter the existing post? And pm me with what options you would want to change so we can make the experience pleasurable for everyone!

Thank You

Brucifer
03-05-2008, 07:52 PM
@Nflight -- re the windows installation file that you noted, you should get Ototero and Lagu to go over that as they are windows people. I have zero windows systems running, all of mine are linux. I can do up a linux diddy for you, and then that could be added as a linux help file in the closed thread.

My only comment on the windows writeup is that you can only run one instance under windows, unless you get a vitual system running too. Ototero can help with that. Under the windows thing, probably a good selling point would be that for the race/push, just run one instance of moneybee, and then the member could also run another instance of something else, like for the boinc effort of the month and they wouldn't have to go through trying to set up a virtual system and thus would be able to contribute to both race/push projects. Of course they would have to alter their boinc configuration to only use one instance on a dual core system. For those that are running windows on four core systems, it would be kind if they would run one instance of moneybee, and then the other three instances on boinc or whatever. And it would be best to get registered and the system set up with a downloaded work unit before the race/push starts. Then once the push starts, then just start crunching the moneybee work unit. Even though it is old, the points will still count, and the system will run and there shouldn't be any problems for them.

For those running linux, it is not a problem to run 2 or 4 instances on dual or 4 core systems as most people running linux well know. If there are any newbies on linux, then I can walk them through getting moneybee running via PM's or email.

Nflight
03-05-2008, 08:06 PM
Thank You Brucifier... I will get back to you in a little while. I would suggest starting another forum post in the MoneyBee Forums with your directions for single and multiple Linux platforms on dual and quad cores. That would be the most helpful at this time.

I will ask for anyone else's ideas on this equation on the windows platform. Not everyone wants to download the Virtual platforms to run linear or side-by-side instances of moneybee on windows. What if we have two Non-BOINC programs running, like 'Seventeen or bust' and MoneyBee? Similar to what I am doing with DPAD and Seventeen or Bust - running one instance each at the same time.

Please anyone comment - Thanks