PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still awake in here ?

mitchellds
03-19-2008, 11:49 PM
Hey Gang,

I just passed 10 million in Boinc credits. (thats less than half of what some other AMD Users have, no need to point fingers, we know who he is) :)

That plus another 7-10 green backs, and I can go get a Star bucks coffee...
whoopee :icon_rolleyes:

PoorBoy
03-20-2008, 12:06 AM
Great Job Mitch ... :icon_thumright: ... I noticed that @ your immense help @ the ABC Project too I but didn't want to wake the Dead ... :icon_lol: ... Seems if your not running the DC Projects you don't Rate much Attention around here anymore ... :icon_rolleyes:

Bender10
03-20-2008, 12:28 AM
This is a Great Accomplishment!!

I look at DC, and there is not a lot of feedback for the amount of work we put into it (I would like to see more papers published on the results we help produce).

And lacking the more tangible return on our efforts, I will tonight raise a glass to you (and those like you). And salute you for your dedication, and willingness to contribute to solving mysteries, researching disease, and helping make the world a better place, one WU at a time.

Thanks for all your work my Friend.

Nflight
03-20-2008, 01:24 AM
Wow what an accomplishment, Whoopee Go Dave Go. Sorry for the non-existence lately I have had myself in other things most of the time, you understand I hope. Both you and PoorBoy keep up the great work in all your projects, especially ABC@Home.

Rock On Gentlemen :blob3:

Frederic Brillouet
03-20-2008, 07:31 AM
awesome numbers! of course the same applies to PoorBoy as well :icon_wink: (and the rest of the crunchers)

Danish Dynamite
03-20-2008, 08:00 AM
congrats mitchellds

ps i haven't been to boincstats or any similar site for a while sorry i missed it, besides picking up the odd workunits from cels at home you can pretty much say that i am not running boinc kinda got to the point i need a break from boinc so i have been running dc project like weiferich, dimes, dnet, and currently d2ol

Lagu
03-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Well done mitchellds!

Lagu:)

vaughan
03-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Well done mitchelds. 10 million, that is amazing. :icon_thumright:

Beerknurd
03-20-2008, 12:47 PM
10,000,000... Holy Cow, that is alot of Zero's... Congrats!!!!!!

:wav:

mitchellds
03-21-2008, 02:07 AM
Yup I'm having fun with the ABC project, I've switched most of my droids over to 64 bit linux ubuntu and can see a big difference in performance over windoze. I'm itching for another nice 8 core pc sometime in the future if I can scrape some penny's together after tax day (April 15 for us Yanks). I might go with that Intel DX38BT motherboard and some lower price quad xeons I think... fun fun..

PoorBoy
03-21-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm itching for another nice 8 core pc sometime in the future if I can scrape some penny's together after tax day (April 15 for us Yanks). I might go with that Intel DX38BT motherboard and some lower price quad xeons I think... fun fun..

Not me, I'm not even thinking about getting another PC any time soon. For the first time since I started running the Projects I have no urge what so ever to get more PC's.

The Electrical Costs are getting out of hand for 1 thing, right now I can afford the electricity but I'm really not happy with the escalating costs & may not be able to some day. But the thing that disturbs me the most is that I've read several articles stating that for all the computing power the Projects have going for them there has not been 1 single Medical Cure found nor has there been 1 thing found out in space that has changed any scientist's mind about space ... :icon_rolleyes:

So it makes me sit back and wonder just what this is all about other than to burn up electricity and make the electrical company's rich, that and to add to global warming is the only thing I can see running the Projects have going for them ... :icon_lol:

Nflight
03-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Realizations sets in. Your right PoorBoy, just what are we doing out here with our machines, what can we say to people about the results we are not accomplishing? Someone should be able to answer this question, what good is all this crunching really do for mankind? :sad5: It might be time to turn off the machines if nothing good can be found in this conversation. :(

PoorBoy
03-21-2008, 02:13 PM
what good is all this crunching really do for mankind

Well theres always the hope that some day somebody may stumble or bumble their way onto a cure for some disease or some amazing new revelation about outer space. But until that time we are regulated to finding Primes @ the Number Projects for whatever good that does mankind ... :icon_lol:

mitchellds
03-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Well congrats at 6 million in ABC regardless. Very impressive display off computing power.

PoorBoy
03-21-2008, 08:09 PM
Thanks Mitch ... :)

Lagu
03-21-2008, 09:16 PM
Well done PoorBoy!:icon_thumright:

Frederic Brillouet
03-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Top guy, I could barely scrape 4000 creds together a day, he puts out 60k or something :icon_lol:

Bender10
03-22-2008, 12:31 AM
Cheers to you PoorBoy!!

Beerknurd
03-22-2008, 12:57 AM
Excellent job PoorBoy!!!!!

vaughan
03-22-2008, 01:34 AM
Congrats PoorBoy, ABCatHome sure is a nice project for 64bit computing.

So what's wrong with Prime Number hunting. Sure beats duck shooting or flame throwing, hey. :new_2gunsfiring_v1:

With respect I have to take exception to the waste of electricity = global warming theme. Distributed Computing is my hobby. Instead of playing with model trains or slot cars or whatever other hobby uses electricity, we run computers. They serve their purpose and we have fun putting them to work on whatever project we select. If the project has some modicum of "Helping Mankind" or "Good Science" well in my opinion that's just a bonus. In the meantime we have something to keep ourselves occupied with in the den, garage, computer room or wherever takes your fancy.

Brucifer
03-22-2008, 04:11 AM
Snip.... The Electrical Costs are getting out of hand for 1 thing, right now I can afford the electricity but I'm really not happy with the escalating costs & may not be able to some day. But the thing that disturbs me the most is that I've read several articles stating that for all the computing power the Projects have going for them there has not been 1 single Medical Cure found nor has there been 1 thing found out in space that has changed any scientist's mind about space ... :icon_rolleyes:

So it makes me sit back and wonder just what this is all about other than to burn up electricity and make the electrical company's rich, that and to add to global warming is the only thing I can see running the Projects have going for them ... :icon_lol:

I know exactly where you are at as I'm there too. And after a few years of this I'm also rather "down" about the lack of published results regarding what we are doing. F@H is really the exception as Pande has worked like a dog to get noticeable help and results out of the DC world. Prime hunting is okay, however I sit here in this chair thinking about all the bucks I've spent on sieving, folding, etc., and not like a hundred or two bucks, we are into the thousands on the DC on electricity and hardware. Tonight I look at the price of gas with the devaluing dollar, and my montly electrical costs run the equivalent of 6 tanks of gas in my truck. And then I have to ask myself what does me and my family the most good, the DC stuff or gas/food. Looking at the hardware end of it, it's all a never ending thing with the constant stream of the technology "updates" that really are just designed to be a bit incremental to keep people spending more bucks and make the fat cat fatter. Vaughan mentions hobby. Yep it's been a hobby for me for several years, but the luster on the hobby has worn thin. A few too many ill conceived projects that abruptly close or run out of work, too little feedback on communication with the participants and the project staff, and the list goes on with the end thing being that it just isn't fun anymore. Like PoorBoy, I'm not even considering buying more hardware. Rather I've been giving stuff away. Maybe it's cause I got too carried away with the hobby via the "farm" thing and burned out on it. I really don't know. But I do know that there was always the urge there to buy another core or two... :)

And then we get into the "green" thing. And the question pops into my head as to whether or not the effort put into the DC thing really warrants all the electricity that is spent on it, or is the electricity better off spent in a genuine lab/research?? Who knows? Does it really matter?? And I know I'm not alone in this thinking as I keep noticing more and more people reaching the same point in dwindling enthusiasm.... :sad5:

Beerknurd
03-22-2008, 04:28 AM
I guess I haven't gotten to that point yet... I only own 2 computers. So the electricity costs for me are nothing. I would be completely happy with just 2 quads... I have never been a "high numbers cruncher". But I think that it's alot of fun still. I have been doing this almost 4 1/2 years now, and I am still not tired of it. But they may be because my wife has me by the balls and won't let me get any "new toys".

Honestly I can't see myself ever getting tired of this. I love the team and the competition, even if I do only have a laptop and a X2 4200+.

Just my 2 cents...

Jason