PDA

View Full Version : what is the amd users mission

ahab3333
09-29-2004, 04:32 AM
i think we need a bolder mission statement for our team. i would love it to say, AMD users number one in all DC project. thats never going to happen. i do believe that we could be top 10 in all projects. i also think that we should aim for top 10 instead of top 5 or number one at this point. the fact is that we are a new team and need to grow a lot before we can ever hope of getting to the top of the big DC projects. if we are in the top ten we will gain a lot of support quicker that if we aim at just one or two major projects and try to get top 5 like it stands now. we are 11 in life mapper and have 21,000 units to move up to 10. that will be a while and even longer to 9. it is almost exponential grow for the length of time it will take to move up. in other words it is a lot more work for less gain, when 11 is still a dominant position and will attract attention to us. it is my proposal to not shoot for top 5 and instead reach top 10, or reach the highest point before we are out crunched, in every project to build our forces. then go back and start aiming at the top.
we must still maintain our current postitions. what do you think?

ahab3333
10-04-2004, 03:25 AM
i quess i will have to reply because nobody seems to have seen this post. I would like to see a 10 recently viewed topics on the main page.

ahab3333
10-04-2004, 03:37 AM
if you watch team ninja they seem to do what i suggested above. they are all going strong on FAD and have almost all but left D2OL.

vaughan
10-04-2004, 04:34 AM
I didn't see your first post. You make some valid points. I'll see what I do about the "last 10 posts".
Vaughan

SB2
10-04-2004, 09:59 AM
I have to agree, some valid points were made in the first post. A good hard look at the statistics will show that even a top ten spot in some projects will be near impossible to achieve due to;

1. the length of time the project has been running, the top teams have built up an almost insurmountable lead in that time. (Seti@Home "classic", Dnet (all projects)..ect

2. the large production output of some of the larger teams in the more popular projects (Folding@Home, Distributed Folding, Seti BOINC.

This does not mean we should not try. Success breeds success, especially in dc'ing. Every position gained brings more recognition with the possiblity of new members joining the team. If you are succussful "they will come". ;)

Put in place a strategy of easy targets first, once those battles are won and we increase in numbers then set our sights on th larger targets while holding the line on the victories already achieved.

/edit/ Something I would also like to see added, 1 post (stuck at the top) in each forum explain what the project is about and any information neccessary to get started in that project and joining the team. Took me a bit of searching to find the teams F@H number so I could join. Links to the client downloads, 3rd party add-ons, statistics...ect..

Ototero
10-04-2004, 10:19 AM
Over the weekend, we've gained places in Climate Prediction, Dist Folding, Folding@Home, Find a Drug, Grid Org, LHC, Seti Boinc and Seti Classic.

Not bad for 1 weekend. Thanks to the old hands AND the new hands.

As SB2 has just said, lets go for easy targets and get lots of bright green stats. That will show others we mean business :)

Empty_5oul
10-04-2004, 05:47 PM
not bad for 1 weekend lol :P
if we can keep all of those that is impressive, FreeDC are back to their old production rate as after we took them they increased for a few hours but with DMMc we took a 10Tera lead, well done m8.
the stats are looking good ototero :thumbleft: and as you see with a few of our new members doing well is bringing in new people.

AMDave
10-04-2004, 05:52 PM
I share the desires of ahab3333
to be in the top 10 of all projects would in fact be dominance.
I may not stand tall in the group (and may not stand tall in real life LOL)

Sometimes I say things I believe in so powerfully in such a way that they get passed up (lil-dave-bigmouth) [actually that happens a lot]

But I have this to say...PREPARE THE EAR PLUGS BOYS HE'S A-COMIN BACK !!!!
I KNOW that AMD Users has the capacity to be a WORLD force on all projects !!!!
Big words ?
Go on ... ask me why ...
Thanks I knew you would.

Because it already IS.

I have been involved in DC on my own for years (sad but true)
Teams seemed beyond me for so long.
AMD Users has RESPECT for the individual. (It certainly has mine)

When we talk about "getting" into the top ten in projects lets not forget that in some, we are already there !

People are always joining AMD Users.
That does not change.

As an individual I may be a small fish in an ocean but with this team I feel as big as a whale ! (No that was NOT my lunch)

We CAN and we WILL get what we want because we are who we are.
We also have what we have because of who we are.

I have every confidence in every team member that they can bring another member to the table.

Vaughan. we need more Aussies in the team. Lets go get some....

Ototero
10-04-2004, 06:15 PM
Small non-mission statement :

.....Dave, you are not an Aussie :)

AMDave
10-04-2004, 06:25 PM
ok.
I know I told you I came from ABDN and I have a piece of paper , a wife and a son + family who will vouch for my Aussieness...
O, I'M trilling to see where you're goin' with this one Stu baby.
(apart from the fact that I think I've seen that ass somewhere before...don't worry...It'll come to me...)

LP
10-04-2004, 06:36 PM
Something I would also like to see added, 1 post (stuck at the top) in each forum explain what the project is about and any information neccessary to get started in that project and joining the team. Took me a bit of searching to find the teams F@H number so I could join. Links to the client downloads, 3rd party add-ons, statistics...ect..

I agree with that. I had to do some searching to find the information to join your team on a couple projects.
The hardest for me was Fad.. the team # is 2031.

SB2
10-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Something I would also like to see added, 1 post (stuck at the top) in each forum explain what the project is about and any information neccessary to get started in that project and joining the team. Took me a bit of searching to find the teams F@H number so I could join. Links to the client downloads, 3rd party add-ons, statistics...ect..

I agree with that. I had to do some searching to find the information to join your team on a couple projects.
The hardest for me was Fad.. the team # is 2031.

Wondering if there is enough interest in this idea? Yea, nay or maybe?

vaughan
10-05-2004, 12:39 AM
Dave I've tried recruiting more Aussies but I need to practice "my elevator speech" as it doesn't seem to work.

AMDave
10-05-2004, 08:47 AM
I've id'd 3 individuals who have run DC in the past and might still be interested. I've also found a PC supplier that has older & spare parts that are not selling (the parts are still much better than what I have).
I will try over the next fortnight.

I didn't know you saw that post before I removed it....That was another very long day and I was so vagued I wasn't sure what I was typing so I killed it and went to sleep. On hindsight stu was right, I should prob have left it. I will try to pull together the info again some time soon so we can try putting some ideas together.

At mo, I must admit after 72 hours on the run I did not actually get to snooze this am but took the server to work. I'm now being SENT to my room by the Boss / Sercetary / girlfriend / mistress / chief advisor / all round best babe .... will try to be more lucid soon :)

Empty_5oul
10-05-2004, 04:29 PM
your self-employeed then dave ??
not related to that particualr post, but i think some of your posts have been pretty good - especially some could be used for recruitment, that make amdusers sound amazing - which it actually is lol :P