PDA

View Full Version : Is there an easy way to...

NeoGen
09-18-2008, 12:19 AM
...access windows shared folders from a Linux machine on an Active Directory domain?

I've started looking at linux in the past few days and for the first few experiences I think I'm doing rather ok so far, I'm making my tests in virtual machines, installing and working around things.

But the one thing that drives me insane is that I can't make the thing show the shared folders on other PC's of the network. I'm trying Fedora 9 as advised by a coworker, and it's pretty much ok, I do everything in graphical environment whish is great for someone who never messed with linux.

I managed to install Samba, winbind, configure dhcp, and all that. After much struggling the best I obtained was seeing the windows PCs on the network, but not the shares that each had. All of them appeared empty.

I searched around the net and all I find is tutorials several pages long to integrate with the Active Directory, with loads of command-line stuff and editing system files and things I don't even know what they do.

Is there no easy way to get the samba thing to work and show me the windows shares on the rest of the network? :icon_neutral:

mitchellds
09-18-2008, 01:38 AM
Hi Neogen,

Since you already have Samba loaded check out this link and see if what they have works for ya.

via command line
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/access-windows-shares-from-linux/

via Gui file manager
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/browse-a-samba-or-ms-windows-share-in-nautilus.html

Nflight
09-18-2008, 11:09 AM
That via cmd line link is very helpful I bookmarked it for further reading, Thank you!

Even though I was not the intended reader I like the idea that almost any configuration that linux comes up with is to counter-mine Windows OS. Very Cool

NeoGen
09-18-2008, 08:05 PM
Unfortunately I wasn't working on linux today at work but I'll be back on it soon.
I'm keeping this thread in my mind to when I have to get back on it again. :)