PDA

View Full Version : PS3Grid Clients etc...

Bender10
10-10-2008, 09:20 PM
I hope this help's out future users. I have to keep wading through the scattered posts on the site

http://www.ps3grid.net/

looking for information on how safe are the drivers and stuff.

Latest GPU enabled Boinc (all) Windows Client is: 6.4.5

Latest GPU enabled Boinc Linux32 Client is: 6.4.5

Latest GPU enabled Boinc Linux64 Client is: 6.4.5

(the Client files are not the same for Win and *nix...)

Nvidia Driver: >= 177.67

PS3 Linux Client: 5.10.6 This is the version I am running. Not sure what is current.
PS3 Client is Here: http://www.ps3grid.net/live.php

Here are some links that should help....

Recommended GPU's Link:
http://www.ps3grid.net/forum_thread.php?id=316 (http://www.ps3grid.net/forum_thread.php?id=316)

Boinc Clients: http://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php

Boinc Client repository: http://boincdl.ssl.berkeley.edu/dl/

If this helps, I will keep it up to date....and add more info.

Bender10
10-28-2008, 11:37 PM
New information above.

vaughan
10-29-2008, 03:26 AM
Thanks Bender10.

I couldn't get work today, then updated BOINC from 6.3.14 to 6.3.19 and it connected.

Bender10
10-31-2008, 04:50 PM
The 6.3.19 client is still not quite right. It is not letting the GPU and CPU's to play well together. This might be a Windoze only problem. My Linux64 box seems to be running fine with 4 CPU + 1 GPU tasks running, with the GPU using only 1-2% of CPU time....

I have to check my Win64 box this afternoon.

And it might be a 32bit OS problem...?

AMDave
11-01-2008, 01:21 AM
Hmm. Not so sure on that.

I'm running on Ibex 64-bit with the 177.80 driver with a 9600 GT
You are right about the CPU vs GPU balance.
My PC turned into a sloth for a day.
Towards the end of the day I suspended the CPU wus and the GPU progress was much faster.

I have paused the GPU work for the moment because I need to use my GPU workstation over the weekend.

Bender10
11-01-2008, 10:52 AM
New (ALPHA) Clients are out. See 1st post. No Linux64 yet.

This client is supposed to (again:icon_rolleyes:) be better, and they have cleaned up the code a bit also.

Here are the changes:

* client: /proc/N/stat has () around the command name. Remove these.
* client: the preemptability order was wrong
* client: cleaned up CPU scheduler logic somewhat
* client: include precompiled header in rr_sim.cpp so memory leak detection will work.
* MGR: Have the BaseFrame call a function to determine if the selection list should be saved instead of traversing the application pointer. Each view just overrides the function returning a true/false value. We don't have to worry about null pointers and the like.
* MGR: BOINCGUIApp should never need to know how either the views work or the document. Move the code that determines which RPCs should be fired into each of the views. Have the document look for it there.
* MGR: Reduce duplicate code for hiding and showing an application
* MGR: Move some Windows and Mac specific code into functions and streamline the application startup and shutdown rountines.
* MGR: Move the event processing that was in BOINCGUIApp into the BaseFrame.
* MGR: General cleanup.
* MGR: Doxygen comments.
* MGR: Cleanup some warnings
* MGR: Fix show / hide on Mac broken by previous changes
* Rebuild libcurl x86 and x64 (turn off async DNS) for Windows only
* client: revise round-robin simulation to take variable avg_ncpus into account
* Mac SCR: fix some real and potential crash bugs

mitchellds
11-01-2008, 05:25 PM
Ah, Finally hit a million with my ps3's. Man that took a long time.................... :)

Lets me appreciate the effort Bender has put into this project with his almost 3 Million.

I've been watching the threads on the cpu/gpu contention thing with the grid boinc client. I'm thinking on buying this monster GPU shortly to add to the fray.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130402

Bender10
11-01-2008, 10:23 PM
Yikes!!!...:5eek:

vaughan
11-02-2008, 01:01 AM
I read somewhere that the 9800GX2's are very hot and noisy. Might be a powerful GPU for crunching tho'

Bender10
11-06-2008, 10:10 AM
All clients are now at version 6.3.21...

I'm running XP 64 and Ubuntu(64) 8.10 boxes. Both seem to be fine running 6.3.21.

XP 64 still has a memory problem (it locks up memory and will 'error out' wu's after a few days. You must re-boot every other day to avoid this).

txt.file
11-11-2008, 11:46 PM
I tried gpugrid but something more than 2days is too many vor my windows box with its little 8600GS. I think the problem is that it is a OEM gpu wich has not enough power for crunching. The BOINC- and the gpugrid-client look like they are working good.

When i ever get a better gpu I will triy it again cause a gpu wich does nothing is not in my interrest.

Bender10
11-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Hello txt.file!

The GPUgrid project forum is kinda jammmed with information (in a random fashion it seems to me). One of the project 'issues' that trip people up, is the 'deadline' for wu completions (4 days). A 'marginal' GPU might complete the wu on time if run 24/7. Some 'marginal' GPU's will not...

Right now I still have a 8800GS (96 shaders), that takes ~23 hours to complete a wu. While this is an 'acceptable' GPU, it is not actually one of the slower GPU's. This GPU could still complete a wu on time, even if it only crunched for ~8 hours a day.

I posted a link on the 1st page, that should take you to a page (on GPUgrid) that gives a good listing of GPU's that will work on this project. 8800 series cards do quite well (for GPUgrid and Folding@H).

Bender10
11-16-2008, 12:49 PM
I've mentioned before, that I am running 64 bit versions of both XP and Ubuntu on PS3grid (GPUgrid). And I am also running BOINC 6.3.21 on all my boxes with no ill effects (yeti). Let me run over a few things concerning GPUgrid crunching

The 6.3.XX client is a custom BOINC client designed to utilize a GPU. The standard client series of 6.2.XX, is the non-GPU client that you should be using if you DO NOT plan on Boinc GPU crunching (on PS3grid). But, as I said, the 6.3.21 client seems to be running fine on my Win (XP64, W2K) and Ubuntu 8.10 boxes. The W2K box is a non-GPU box.

GPU Client development. (this is a snapshot in time, clients are changing weekly..:icon_mrgreen:..)

The Boinc development team is working with Nvidia and PS3grid (GPUgrid) in an effort to devise a client that will allow GPU crunching WITHOUT using (or very little) CPU resources. This means for example: A Quad box (with 1 GPU installed) will be able to crunch 4 'normal' Boinc wu's and the GPU will be able to crunch 1 GPU wu at the same time, without having the GPU consuming CPU cycles. This is looked at as crunching 4+1 (4 cpu + 1 gpu wu's).

The goal is to have the GPU crunch at top speed, using it's own resources.

Windows
They are almost there with the Windows client. Using my Quad example from above, Windows will crunch 4+1 with no special input from the user (if crunching a GPU wu). But the GPU will be using ~15-17% of the cycles from 1 CPU (and it will not be running at top speed). Users can continue to operate their client at 4+1, and GPU wu's will run at reduced efficency for now. But, to get maximum GPU crunching speed using the Windows client, Users have to dedicate 1 CPU to the GPU. Right now, under Windows the GPU requires ~20-35% CPU cycles to crunch at top speed. So for best GPU results (shorter run times), some users are running 3+1 only :sad5:.

Linux
But, they seem to have hit a home run with the Linux client :). Linux crunchers can run 4+1 and will see the GPU using only 1-2% cycles from 1 CPU, and the GPU is running at top speed. This does not change even if you force the client to run 3+1.

Whew!

That being said. Boinc has released another NEW client (6.3.23) :rolleyes:. If you like to experiment.... But it seems to be causing a few problems with Vista (GPU users). I'm going to wait this one out. I'm pretty stable now. Not to say that I won't try being a 'crash test dummy' with a future release...

AMDave
11-16-2008, 02:42 PM
That is an excellent run down.
Thank you.

As you point out,new development versions are arriving with great frequency.
BOINC 6.3.21 has been treating me well on 64 and 32 linux and on 32 XP
I see that 6.3.23 has started to roll out already for Win and Mac

The only hurdle I see on the Linux side for the CUDA effort is the terribly poor performance of the NVidia 17x.x desktop drivers causing XOrg to go into a spin and swallow 100% of 1 CPU. This is a multi-distro problem (and not a topic for this thread).

In the mean time, I must suspend the CUDA client and put up with the NVidia-lag when I want do do something useful.
But when I plan on doing some real work for a prolonged period, I have to unload the NVidia drivers altogether, which means no CUDA work can get done at all.
Having a CUDA unit running makes it impractical to use the desktop, but this is not a CUDA issue. The problem derives from the NVidia driver itself.

Getting CUDA to work with PS3Grid in Linux and still allowing the owner of the Linux boxen to interact with the desktop may be a good incentive for NVidia to finally fix this driver issue.

I do hope so.

Bender10
11-16-2008, 02:57 PM
Wow Dave,

That's 1 aspect I don't see. As I don't use my Linux cruncher for desktop work (yeti).

I'm not sure I have seen anything about that issue posted on the PS3grid forum...

AMDave
11-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Tales of the woeful performance of the 17x.x drivers is all over the place.
I am glad to hear that it is not in the PS3Grid forum, because it does not belong there.

Brucifer
11-16-2008, 06:49 PM
Interesting reading indeed! :)

It's good that the gpu work is going on, no matter what platform, as at some point there will be bleed-off to other platforms and projects that will benefit from all this development work on this project! :)

vaughan
11-17-2008, 06:24 AM
Windows
They are almost there with the Windows client. Using my Quad example from above, Windows will crunch 4+1 with no special input from the user (if crunching a GPU wu). But the GPU will be using ~15-17% of the cycles from 1 CPU (and it will not be running at top speed). Users can continue to operate their client at 4+1, and GPU wu's will run at reduced efficency for now. But, to get maximum GPU crunching speed using the Windows client, Users have to dedicate 1 CPU to the GPU. Right now, under Windows the GPU requires ~20-35% CPU cycles to crunch at top speed. So for best GPU results (shorter run times), some users are running 3+1 only :sad5:.

On Doomeva's Intel Wolfdale E8400 45nm core 2 duo running at 4GHz under Windows XP Pro 32bit one core is on 3x+1 and utilising 50% the other core is on GPUGrid and it hovers between 41-43% CPU usage, so 7-9% of cycles are "wasted". Its using BOINC v6.3.21. The motherboard is an ASUS P5E-VM HDMI.

Bender10
11-17-2008, 11:01 AM
I was thinking about putting in a disclaimer (due to me only having 64 bit OS's)..:rolleyes:. But, I thought I was running a bit long with my ramble.

The info I am using is from my boxes. The forum (as I have mentioned) is kinda sparse on specific info. Most users don't even post their system specs when reporting a problem. Then someone has to ask them "what OS, driver, client and GPU are you using...", as all these play a part in determining what is happening.

The only other way to gather some information, is to surf through the 'users' computers (only available if not "Hidden"), and we all know what a secretive lot we crunchers are...:icon_lol:..

Bender10
11-23-2008, 01:23 AM
Hey Mitchell...

You better check your link...

I've been watching the threads on the cpu/gpu contention thing with the grid boinc client. I'm thinking on buying this monster GPU shortly to add to the fray.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130402

I might have picked up the last one...:icon_twisted:

mitchellds
11-23-2008, 02:18 PM
heh heh, good for you. I had it sitting in my cart for over the last week, and never completed the transaction.

Bender10
11-25-2008, 12:31 PM
New GPU client is out. 6.4.0...testing seems to be going well. I might load it this evening...

vaughan
12-04-2008, 04:38 AM
Lookout hinemos I'm on your six. :2gunsfiring_v1:

I've added a 9600GSO to this project now.

As soon as the Christmas Challenge is over I'll upgrade the BOINC client on the Athlon64 6000+ box to take advantage of the GTX260 that's sitting idle at the moment.

----------------

I have also updated the name of this section of the forum as the site now calls itself GPUGrid not PS3Grid. In BOINC Manager it still shows the project URL as www.ps3grid.net (http://www.ps3grid.net) but that results in the BOINC message that the correct URL is www.gpugrid.net (http://www.gpugrid.net).

Bender10
12-05-2008, 12:46 PM
See first post...

There has been another client update for Win and *nix. I haven't had time to try out either, and I am still on 6.3.21.

I would wait for the 6.4.3 Win client to come out....and see if things improve...Stick with 6.3.21 for now.

Also...I am running the 180.60 cuda driver with no problems on XP 64 bit. Read the driver threads for more information. I've been slacking this week...

vaughan
12-05-2008, 09:06 PM
Bender10 do you know if Ntunes or the Nvidia control panel works now under Win64? It works great under Win32 but I found my earlier versions triggered either a PC lock-up or a BSOD when I tried to get to the screen where you can change the fan speed of the GPU card.

Bender10
12-05-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm actually using RivaTuner v2.20 to control my gpu fan under Win64. I switched due to problems with nTune.

It works better than nTune, and you can set it up to 'load' on windows start-up. This allows it to re-set your fan to your required setting automatically (after a reboot).

Bender10
12-07-2008, 01:04 AM
Wait for the 6.4.4 client (or higher).

But the 6.3.21 works fine.

Bender10
12-07-2008, 01:46 AM
Problems controlling your (nVidia) fan speed?? nTune not working??

Try RivaTuner 2.20...

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/180529-how-permanently-set-8800-fan-speed.html

Nflight
12-07-2008, 03:04 AM
Nice program for us Nvidia USers: http://www.nvidia.com/object/ntune_5.05.25.00.html

I like what the Grey box on the left states, not bad will try this some other day its late, and my peepers are heavy.

Damn machines I have are too old, Nforce works I have GeForce, Rats Darn !!!

Bender10
12-08-2008, 06:44 PM
If you have a stable Boinc (gpu) client running, keep it that way. Don't upgrade to the 6.4.X client yet. They are having problems (again) with the new client (6.4.4 is out and buggy).

I tried to go higher than 6.3.X, and had problems. If you are crunching fine with what you have, stick with that for a while.

vaughan
12-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Grrrr!
My Q9550 box with a 9800GTX+ has decided to give UNSTABLE MACHINE message in Folding At Home now. It has tried several WUs and is now in EUE mode so no work for 24 hours. I think it got too hot as I forgot to set the fan to 100% on startup. The o/c on the CPU is making the box hot too.

Next I tried attaching to GPU Grid but as its on BOINC 6.2.19 it is not recognized. I have to wait until its finished its cached Geneticlife At Home tasks and then try to update BOINC. Question is which version?

Brucifer
12-08-2008, 09:29 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130402

Ah yes... the old dual card in a card trick as Maxwell Smart would put it. :icon_santa:

Tis definitely a nice price. And the gpu's rock no matter what project you run them on. I got in a tad bit of a hurry to enjoy the fruits of gpu crunching, and non of the local outlets had one of those puppies. So I only got half of it, a 9800GT. It was my initial learning experience, and has turned me into a believer!!! I have seen the light. You buy that little hummer and you will have crossed a threshold. :icon_mrgreen: As that book and movie put it, absolute power corrupts and it will do that to you. Guaranteed. Once you get it working anyway. LOL And then your beady little eyes and sweaty palms will be busy looking for the next fix... and then you'll procrastinate.... and you'll talk yourself into it cause you just can't help it, and you'll go out and get another one. and... and ... :icon_twisted:

Bender10
12-08-2008, 11:48 PM
I'd go with 6.3.21. Its as stable as it gets (still has the video mem prob).

The newer clients have scheduling and cpu usage issues.

Bender10
12-20-2008, 11:45 AM
A quick scan of the project forum shows the Devs are still having 'issues' with the client (cpu usage, wu feeding to clients, etc..). But wu's are being completed, and Teams are advancing.

But it looks like 6.4.2 is the client to be running, if you are having problems. To run this client, they suggest that you do a project 'reset' BEFORE trying to get any wu's.

I haven't made the client change yet, as I am still on RC5. But the new year will find me back on GPUgrid, and more in touch with whats going on.

**The clients are still *BETA*, so be careful.

Bender10
01-01-2009, 12:52 PM
Well, It's the new year, and I'm back. I just spent 45 minutes searching through the GPUgrid forum trying to figure out which BOINC version is working the best...lol. And as this project is still in BETA, I urge caution.

The Boinc version is still system / hardware dependant. Running Vista, Win32, Win64, Linux32, Linux64 and even different GPU's seem to all have their own problems.

Right now all I have running is a Linux64 box. It's running Boinc 6.3.21 / 177.8X driver. I plan on upgrading to the Boinc 6.5.0 maybe today. But I am getting work on 6.3.21 (some are not).

I'll try to help with some timely posts about the other systems.

mitchellds
01-02-2009, 01:44 PM
I just bought a couple of: MSI N9800GT 512OC GeForce 9800 GT 512mb cards. I think I'll run grid on them under ubuntu when they arrive. If got them for 114.00 each at Newegg. Not a bad deal.

vaughan
01-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Fudzilla report that Nvidia 185.20 beta drivers (http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11190&Itemid=1) are now available for Win XP (32/64), Vista (32/64) and Windows 7.

Bender10
01-03-2009, 12:58 AM
I don't have a warm fuzzy about the problems they are having right now. I'm sticking with 6.3.21, until they get the WU feeder problem worked out. Just my choice. I am getting wu's, but I am doing it manually, just like everyone else.

Bender10
01-06-2009, 01:15 AM
There is still a WU feeder problem with the server.

Everyone (does not matter which OS or Client you have) is still having to Manually request WU's to keep their GPU's from starving.....

Linux64 still uses less CPU cycles, 1-2%.... than windows....

vaughan
01-06-2009, 03:16 AM
Did the GPUGrid tasks get bigger or harder to crunch recently? Or maybe my 8800GT is getting tired and needs a rest. :)

I had one that crunched for ~11 hours and was at 82% complete and I got a message it was time expired and I might not get any points for it, so I aborted it and switched over to Folding.

Bender10
01-06-2009, 11:08 AM
No, it should not have 'expired'...in 11 hours.

There has been a few 'strange' wu's reported lately, this could have been one...

Bender10
01-27-2009, 01:21 AM
The WU 'Feeder' problem has been fixed.

They have started another 'server'. There are seperate servers for PS3 and GPUgrid Wu's now. That should correct any future 'Feed' problems.

I finally upgraded to 6.4.5 (for Linux64) today. That seems to be stable now that the 'Feeder' problem has been corrected.

I have not upgraded my video driver yet. I'm still at 177.80 for Linux64. I'm waiting on the Video driver due to some 'issues' with the newer drivers. And I am still on the 180.84 driver for XP64.