PDA

View Full Version : Borfil's Linux install problem

S. Starbuck
10-10-2008, 07:00 PM
I tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Fedora and even now Suse but no go.

Use Arch :icon_lol:

More seriously though, exactly what sort of issues were you running into when trying to install linux on that intel chip?

Borfil
10-13-2008, 08:00 AM
the main thing that happen with the set up is that once I start it goes thru the whole process of the instalation and all comes nice and dandy but when it reboot and linux start loading once the ubuntu of kubuntu screen start loading and configuring the system before you enter your password it crash and reboot again and again. I cant figure it out it works fine under windows , but that is not what I want. I want to get rid of windows.

Borfil
10-15-2008, 04:48 PM
Igave up trying to load ubuntu or kubuntu on that intel P4 D 3ghz dual core I HAVE. I'm testing fedora lookslikeit might work on that system. Can anyone tell me about fedora, how good it is or how it compare to ubuntu or fubuntu.

Love any input andpointers I CAN HAVE!THANKS

S. Starbuck
10-15-2008, 04:55 PM
Only used fedora for about 30 minutes - just didn't like like it, so I can't be of much help to you there.

It sounds strange that you can install the OS without a problem.. What sort of messages where you getting? (Atlhough in ubuntu they do have that damn splash screen, so as to hide all the debug messages) - If the same thing happens if fedora see if you can see what is happening while it boots up - turning off any splash screen for instance.

Borfil
10-18-2008, 01:26 AM
:) 1st Thanks to all that have tried top assist me with this darm problem and this pc.
I have loaded all the different linux version I have got my hand on and have made sure that the splash is off and tried always the safe mode instalation first.
As I mention earlier it goes thru the instalation with no hitch and all check out fine, it goes thru the reboot and the loading procedure and it is fine, but once the last comand comes and start top open the system after loading either it freezes or it just crash.
I took the drastic step of taking the pc apart and re building it , reformat the HD, and then running a very powerfull burnning program that task the pc t the max for almost 7 hr and it check out fine no errors. I then reformated the HD using Partition 8 and the install Ubuntu, from scrash ni dice, repeted the operation and install kubuntu, the same, then I tried Fedora and it loaded, and when thru the wholer procedure and loaded fine, even the rebooted and it started the screen for first intalation once you run it for the 1st time and went thru the first 3 screnn then it froze since then no dice.
I then went thru the process of reformat and re installing the fedora again and this time it came up with a screen that looks like an old apple graphics w ith lots of dot or large pixel and the mouse icon on it which it move but that it is all that it do now. Again I re format and then loaded the basic XP Service pack 2 and no problem at all, so I tried to see if Kubuntu will load withing windows. It whent thru the whole process last msg all fine and reboot to run kubuntu, once I do it will reboot, goes thru the loading configuration process and loads linux and at the end the msg starting the system it just stop right after that.
I'm so frustrated with this Shit plks excuse my vocabulary but there is no better word to describe what I feel.

Thanks guys for your help, I'm really flater that some of you have taken the time to assist. But at this time I'm so mad with this pc that I'm about to take her and just dump her from the second floor of the house. But it be a futile event and such a waste of money, she works good in windows, so it seems that I mill have to stick to her as a windows machine and set her up as just one of the units connected top my server machine or better yet just leave her connected to the router as an independent unit and just use my other 2.6 AMD unit as the server which wortkls good and keep the others units connectet to that one as part of an independent network unit.
Pls don't buy any Intel base PC they are a pain.
Even an old 486 unit which my 3 yr old was using, all I needed to do was to upgrade the bios to the last version for it (2000) and ubuntu loaded with no problem at all and it actually was able to tweak some settings to make her run like a 700mhz machine. she is a tank for that matter.

Raffy

Borfil
10-18-2008, 01:31 AM
I will try to see if I can copy the full loading procedure into a file and send it to you to see if you see something that I might had missed, specially now that I'm so frustrated with her, I might be just overlooking at something very simple, but you know how it is once you get mad and frustrated, things can jump right on your face and you don't even see them.

Thanks
Raffy

S. Starbuck
10-21-2008, 09:56 AM
Borfil, sorry if I've missed it somewhere else, but what are the actual components inside that machine giving you all those problems?

Brucifer
10-21-2008, 04:21 PM
Not to rain on the parade, but shouldn't this stuff be moved over to the Hardware Forum perchance??? :icon_mrgreen:

Borfil
10-26-2008, 11:12 AM
Hi guy;
Well to start with it has a Pentium Intel D 3ghz dual core cpu(a pc of shit if you ask me)
And Asus board with an Nvedia 7600 256meg video card an old Live Creative SC, 2 gig of ram, a Sony DVD player and writer, a 320 HD Western Digital a floppy drive and an old Sony CD writer a Sansung Plasma monitor, a generic USB optical mouse as well as an American style generic 105 keyboard a 500 watts power supply. She works good in windows, XP srv Pck 1, 2 or 3, VISTA Pro . It just don't want to work on Linux.

I have manage to migrate all other pc except for the Neo laptop ( waiting for some drivers from Neo)

I'm beginning to believe that is forcing Intel to use only MS not to allow any other system to run on it.

But this generic desktop which is driving me crazy.
As I said before I tried, Ubuntu, Fedora, SuSe, Kubuntu(which is nothing else but a dress up version of ubuntu) but still.

Even and old 486 board which I found in a closet I set it up with some old parts and is working fine, it even working with a Dlink pen USB DWL-G122 wireless adapter. But this junk is a trouble maker. I just cant beleive the performance and the new life it give that old AMD board. I just added some old 133mgz memory I found that still work, it has one 256meg stick and 3 64 meg stick on it and I just did a full buning on her and it perform almost like an 800mgz pc. It clock at 759 mgz. It loaded with ubuntu and edbuntu and I set her up for the kids. I set boinc at 25% when in use and 97% when idle and it has gotten a few projects and the beauty no errors as of yet.
The kids love it, specially my 16 yr old and my 4 yr old. they just dont let her alone. I had to even made a time schedule for them to use it.

It is an old Vectra HP board which I found and all I have done was just upgrade its bios from 1996 to the last one for it a 1999 bios and disable the 15k mem hole and it works like a brand new pc. For them is grate. They do their homework get on the net, play and best of all they love the free games that you can get from the linux forum. which is even better for my pocket. Even the play station emulation works l;ike a charm and my 10 yr old can play all his old play station games without having to fight with the other for the tv.

It has brought peace and tranquility to the home!

BRAVO FOR AMD and LINUX.
I'm really very happy with discovering that Linux had come up so much since my first try back in 1999 or 2000 and Ubuntu is just much better than MS WINDOWS.
Cant say any more, cuz then I might seem as in love with it.(which I am)
(*Din't like Fedora, it to heavy and SuSe looks nice but I rather stick with Ubuntu, seems more powerful and much more stable. I'm testing Kubuntu in 2 PC just because it has the windows feeling which I'm use to, but the nice thing about it is that it is totally base in ubuntu engine just the desktop pack is the diff. Great up to now.

At present I'm using a Dlink 300 router with wireless and wired connection and an Encore piggyback to it to connect the rest of the wired pc. That way I can connect 6 pc via wired 1 laptop via wireless and the 486 and still have 2 more slots available for future use well actually only one for I'm using a Encore switcher for the 3 printers in the house and one flat scanner, that way the kids can use one old Lexmark printer and I have my old HP for heavy printing and my 3 in one for my own use. and the flat scanner for my 16yr to make copies or scan school work and with the OCR she is happy as hell. Took her only 3 hr to get use to the ubuntu desktop and now she is better than me finding and usung the system.
What can I say. I feel like when Mbasic came out or like when Quick Basic came on the market back in the 80's. I'm back t to school and a brand new toy to play with. Just do not ask my wife. She is about to kick me out with all the pc's included. HA HA HA

S. Starbuck
10-26-2008, 11:53 AM
Do you know what model the motherboard is? Sometimes specific boards can have problems, which could be the case here. Apart from that I can't see any specific piece of hardware there that would cause the problems you are having.

AMDave
10-26-2008, 12:46 PM
*** AMDave moved this linux discussion from Dnet forum to Linux.

Borfil, you have given us an idea about the hardware involved, but I would like to know which version number of K/Ubuntu you are trying to install on that machine?

I do not know if your motherboard has an onboard graphics port, but we should be able to find out if you can tell us the version number on the ASUS motherboard that you have.

I know that many people had some problems with the older versions of Ubuntu because of the Nvidia 7600 drivers.
You can test this out if your motherboard has a built-in graphics chip by changing the bios setting to use the on-board chip / "AUTO" and remove the Nvidia 7600 card and plug the monitor into the graphics connector on the motherboard.

If the OS installs ok then you know that the problem is related to the graphics driver.

If it still does not work then you have at least eliminated the graphics card as them main problem.

Something for you to try if you still want to.

Borfil
10-27-2008, 11:42 AM
Well the board that I'm using is an Asus P5GZ-MX using an Intel Xeon pentium D dual core CPU.
The board has the following
FSB 800, Dual Ch, DDR2 533/667, VGA integrated, PCI-e x 16, PCI-e x1, Sata 3.0Gb, Gb Lan Green Asus(RohS compliant

other than that all I have put on her has been the Live Creative SC and the Nvidea card. I will try what you say about the card and see what happens.
thanks for the tip. You know Nvedia card are so common that at times you forget that tech is moving so fast that is hard to keep up.

hope that will let you think of something else.
:)

S. Starbuck
10-27-2008, 02:12 PM
Well it didn't take much searching to find this thread over at the ubuntu forums:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766219, and specifically this post:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4842116&postcount=11

Other than that I can't offer much advice, never owned a board with intel or nividia that I've installed linux on, although hopfully some other people around here will be able to offer a bit more help.

Borfil
10-29-2008, 04:11 AM
I din't chk the forum for the board, because I have two other Asus boards (not P5) and din't had any problem. Din't had any idea that this board is having such problems with linux.
More of an insentive now for me to try to work on a solution. And study more on linux and its component. It might take me a while, but I will try to solve this problem. None of the msg say what is the problem, but all have one thing in commom, they manage to load linux, it just stops once it is reboot. as for version 7.10 does not work on this one iether

Well looks like I got a good hard homework to do.

Thanks. At least now I see I'm not and it is not something wrong with the pc, but what I suspected. Gates dont want competicion. Ha :icon_twisted: :icon_twisted::icon_mad:

But when there is a will there have to be a way!!! :icon_lol: :icon_twisted: :icon_lol:

AMDave
10-29-2008, 05:39 AM
If you wait another day Intrepid Ibex will be available:
http://www.ubuntu.com/

I can vouch that a lot of compatibility issues are fixed in this release (Well, they are in the beta anyway).