PDA

View Full Version : Ogr-ng

Brucifer
10-27-2008, 04:29 AM
So does anyone here figure on crunching on the new distributed.net project??

Bender10
10-27-2008, 12:50 PM
I checked the site, and did not find mention of a new project??

EDIT: Ooops, found it...OGR-26.

Brucifer
10-27-2008, 01:41 PM
The OGR-NG stuff is under the open public testing releases at the moment. I didn't see an OGR-26 when I was looking. I guess I need to go take another look. :)

Bender10
10-27-2008, 02:31 PM
I think that OGR-NG was the new client software...maybe.

Brucifer
10-27-2008, 03:50 PM
yep, as far as I can tell OGR-NG is the only one out now, OGR-26 is yet to come out. And I gather that stats are a couple days or so at least out in the future yet. Also I gather that this effort won't be as long as the OGR-25 effort was.

Brucifer
11-04-2008, 04:00 PM
wow.... so far I don't see any AMD_Users team in the OGR-NG(26) stats.... bummer... :(

Can't have that as AMD_Users has been in a bunch of projects. So in this evening's distributed.net stats run, yota91 should appear in the OGR-NG status run under the amd_users team. Didn't want to use the brucifer account as the email addy has expired, and I can't move it to any more addy's. I guess over the years I have maxed out the email addy's that can follow one account. I could change the name on the account, but then that would bung up the points in the other distributed.net projects. No tear-jerker anyway as the name is for my heavily modified 91 toyota 4x4 p/u that has been built up for rock crawling. :icon_mrgreen:

From the keyserver stats page on distributed.net some of the "guessers" are estimating that the project should end around February of 2010. So it isn't going to be as long running as the OGR-25 sequence was. And then it will proceed to the OGR-27 evidently.

Ototero
11-05-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm crunching OGR-NG. It's called OGR-26 on the stats. Which would you prefer I call?

We're in position 77 now.

Brucifer
11-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Hey... :) YOU are the stats guy so you name is whatever your little ole heart desires! :icon_mrgreen:

Brucifer
11-06-2008, 02:35 PM
We're in position 77 now.

Yesterday's stats run now has us in #12.

liuqyn
11-06-2008, 03:18 PM
I say call it OGR-26 just to keep it consistent with the old projects

Ototero
11-06-2008, 06:41 PM
We are 41st overall and 12th for yesterday.

Brucifer
11-06-2008, 10:07 PM
picky picky :icon_mrgreen:

Well letz see where we end up today in the overall... :icon_mrgreen:

vaughan
11-06-2008, 10:13 PM
I haven't tried the new OGR application / project yet. Is it still Dnet or a different download? Is it still detected as a Trojan by AVG and Kaspersky?

Brucifer
11-07-2008, 02:47 AM
Couldn't tell you as I'm running it under linux. The client is in the beta/release candidate section of downloads.

vaughan
11-07-2008, 10:27 AM
OK, where do I find the OGR-NG application?

I looked at distributed.net boy what a confusing site with HEAPS of out of date links. Clients that go back to Windows 3.11, crikey :icon_wink:

Could I find a Windows XP 64bit client? No.

So I d/l the current latest 32 bit Win version and install it.

It's configuration lets me adjust all sorts of weird and many inexplicable things. But only OGR-P2 and RC5-72 ... no OGR-NG anywhere.

Useless pile of $#%$ ... back to BOINC.

liuqyn
11-07-2008, 11:16 AM
pre-release download (http://www.distributed.net/download/prerelease.php)

enjoy

Brucifer
11-09-2008, 02:57 AM
sorry, no points in today's stats... I was messing with something else and missed the dump time. :( Will get some tomorrow though. :icon_mrgreen:

vaughan
11-09-2008, 11:42 AM
OK I think I managed to join this project.

One observation so far - when it finishes a "block" the application closes. What part of configuration do I have to adjust to fix this issue?

Ototero
11-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Never seen that before. What OS are you using it on?

It works out of the box for XP.

Brucifer
11-09-2008, 07:00 PM
Vaughan,

All I can say is :icon_mrgreen:

I have honestly never heard of it doing that either as it is one of if not "the" most stable clients in the DC world. I am assuming that you downloaded the client from the "Pre-release/Beta" clients portion of the download stuff. At that point all you should have to do is to go into the app using "dnetc -config" and take option 1 and enter your email address. Then if you only want to work on ogr-ng(26), just go back into the configuration thing again, take option 2 for performance stuff, then take option 9, and you will then see both RC5-72 and OGR-26. Change that for RC5-72 to be RC5-72=0 (that's a zero) and press enter. The options for item 9 should then look like RC5-77=0, OGR-26

and then back out. and start up the client and it should run just fine and work only on ogr-26. If you still can't get it to work, then PM me your email address, and I will edit a dnetc.ini file for you and email it to you so you can just copy it in, and I'll even email you the correct executable file too. There is not a 64 bit windows XP client.

Bruce

Brucifer
11-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Vaughan, below is what your dnetc.ini file should look like, other of ocourse than the id= line which should reflect the email addy you are using for the project. You can use notepad to edit your dnetc.ini file to look like the example below. You don't need anything else in your dnetc.ini file. It will then load up 25 work units per core and start crucnhing and should run all the way through those and then re-connect with a distributed.net proxy and dor the up/download thing. If your executable file doesn't recognize the parameters in this example dnetc.ini file, then you are using the wrong executable file. Let me know and I will email you the correct one.

Bruce

[parameters]
id=vaughan@whatever.net (id=bes88@verizon.net)

[misc]
project-priority=OGR-NG,OGR-P2=0,RC5-72=0

[display]
progress-indicator=auto-sense

vaughan
11-09-2008, 11:06 PM
Thanks Brucifer.

Mine was like this:

[buffers]
checkpoint-filename=ckpoint
frequent-threshold-checks=0

[misc]
project-priority=OGR-NG,OGR-P2=0,RC5-72=0
run-work-limit=1

[display]
progress-indicator=auto-sense

[parameters]
id=vaughan@whatever.net.au

Brucifer
11-09-2008, 11:48 PM
The real culprit there was that run work limit line which was causing it to run one work unit and then quit.

Anyway, hopefully you are on the road to crunching bliss now!! :icon_mrgreen:

Brucifer
11-12-2008, 12:31 AM
Cool.... :icon_mrgreen:

Good output on the ogr-26 stats run tonight! I see you showed up Vaughan, along with the stats guy Ototero, and a new "participant" :icon_mrgreen:

So we have AMD_Users reflected among all the other long term teams in ogr again now!!

vaughan
11-12-2008, 02:29 AM
and a new "participant" :icon_mrgreen:

That was me using my other e-mail address.

Ototero
11-12-2008, 02:26 PM
@ Vaughan, do you want me to rename the participant... to something more to your liking??

vaughan
11-12-2008, 07:16 PM
@ Vaughan, do you want me to rename the participant... to something more to your liking??
Yes please. I guess in theory I should be able to do something with the re-naming on the Dnet site but it isn't user friendly, IMHO.

Participant 333383 is my original Dnet handle, the e-mail addy I used for RG5 and the other OGR tests. I managed to change them from displaying my real e-mail addresses yesterday.

Ototero
11-12-2008, 10:45 PM
My stats system will allow me to use anything you like.

Vaughan the Aussie.
Barbies R Us.
Tinnie.

You choose.

Frederic Brillouet
11-12-2008, 11:18 PM
My stats system will allow me to use anything you like.

Vaughan the Aussie.
Barbies R Us.
Tinnie.

You choose.
This is SO Vaughan :icon_mrgreen:

vaughan
11-13-2008, 12:24 AM
Brucifer suggested I try to combine the accounts. Ototero I'll try that first before we light the BBQ. :icon_wink:

Ahh the smell of T-Bone steaks cooking ... the onions caramelising with just enough beer splashed over them ... 'taties roasting under the Al foil ...

OK I'm hungry now. :icon_mrgreen:

Brucifer
11-13-2008, 05:03 AM
Brucifer suggested I try to combine the accounts. Ototero I'll try that first before we light the BBQ. :icon_wink:

Ahh the smell of T-Bone steaks cooking ... the onions caramelising with just enough beer splashed over them ... 'taties roasting under the Al foil ...

You have a PM.

Frederic Brillouet
11-13-2008, 10:55 AM

you even made me hungry and I just ate!

vaughan
11-16-2008, 08:39 AM
Brucifer re your post at FDC
"I've been doing amd_users for some time and was doing ogr-25 with them. Didn't look like they were going to do any ogr-26 at first so I started running it here. However a couple friends started running it at amd_users after all so the team would be placing on the project. So as long as they keep crunching it there then I will with them. If they cool it, then I will too and return here."
I'm still running with you. As the 3x+1 tasks finish up I'll put some more cores on OGR. I can't have you getting too big of a lead now can I? :)

AMDave
11-16-2008, 10:43 AM
Hey vaughan, betcha my 3x+1 cache finishes before yours.
Then you'll be hunting us both down :P
I'll be the roadkill that you back over as you pull the pharm machinery out of the driveway and head off down the road. LOL

Yes the 3x+1 closing sale has captured our attention.
But we wouldn't be die-hard DC fanatics if we didn't give it a serious thumping in its final throw.
And well that we did as we seem to be gaining from it.

I'd downloaded the '26' clients when the 3x+1 news hit the wire.
so I'm prepped and champing to get some '26' runs on the board
I have given the 10K challenge a hard run over the last year with some very pleasing results, so it is no surprise that I'm looking to go 'classic' again for a while.

... just counting down the wu's as they retreat, thoroughly crunched and beaten, back to the server. ;)

Brucifer
11-16-2008, 06:42 PM
Brucifer re your post at FDC
"I've been doing amd_users for some time and was doing ogr-25 with them. Didn't look like they were going to do any ogr-26 at first so I started running it here. However a couple friends started running it at amd_users after all so the team would be placing on the project. So as long as they keep crunching it there then I will with them. If they cool it, then I will too and return here."
I'm still running with you. As the 3x+1 tasks finish up I'll put some more cores on OGR. I can't have you getting too big of a lead now can I? :)

LOL.... if you can bring more on the effort then go for it!! :icon_mrgreen:

On the serious side though, as AMDave's post goes too, there are multiple projects out there that are approaching endings, or gaining in momentum due to team or personal races. As for my post above at FDC, it was just to answer a question by another person on that team. And I realize too that you have the running thing with AMDave with the 3x+1. :) We all get into multiple efforts! I'm glad though that you and Ototero are putting some of your stuff on agr-26 as it's good to see this team in the distributed.net projects as it's one place where you see most of the teams in the DC world making a presence in varying degrees of participation.

Frederic Brillouet
11-19-2008, 02:24 AM
I've just hopped on this train. to look how this project does (ran in waaaaay back when i still had my 3000+)
the intel is frying:
core 0 72 degrees
core 1 69 degrees
core 2 65-66 degrees
core 3 67 degrees

(never need to heat my room...)

Brucifer
11-20-2008, 11:14 PM
and in the continuing saga of multiple projects, I'm getting behind in some others that I have been hacking away at over time so I'm gonna slow down here and beef up my points in a couple others that are lagging.....

jamers
11-27-2008, 10:10 PM
Is there a team proxy?

It has come to my attention that this lastest OGR challenge is going to be short lived (much like the first round of OGR-24) so I'm thinking of moving some machines over here soon.

Nflight
12-01-2008, 12:17 PM
I am going to need some direction getting started in this here project. Seeing that I and Jamers have never tried this before, where and how do I sign up?

P.S. I only have one core off a dual core to put on this, is this possible?

Bender10
12-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Yes, it appears you can select the number of cores to run the client on. I'll post the command switches in the dnet forum for reference.

I don't know what the difference is between Windoze and *nix clients. can't be that much.

Brucifer
12-01-2008, 03:30 PM
I am going to need some direction getting started in this here project. Seeing that I and Jamers have never tried this before, where and how do I sign up?

P.S. I only have one core off a dual core to put on this, is this possible?

Yes it is possible. First go to www.distributed.net (http://www.distributed.net), then to the "downloads" then to the official clients, and then download the "507" client for the O/S you are running. In the case of windows, there is the 507b and the 507c.

On windows, I prefer to run it in a command window. In the command window in the directory you installed it, type "dnetc -config" and hit enter and then take the first option, General Client Options, then #1, and enter in your email address. Then enter zero to return to the main window. Then take option "3" Performance related Options, then take #2 Number of crunchers to run. At the moment it says "-1" you want to hit the backspace a couple of times and just enter "1" and hit enter, then take option 0 to get back to the main menu. Then take option "2" Buffer and Buffer update Options, then take option #9 Load-work precedence... in the new setting line, add "=0" so that it looks like OGR-NG,RC5-72=0 and hit enter. And that is a zero following the equals sign by the way... :)
Then hit zero to return to the main window and zero again to exit. Then type dnetc and hit enter and it should be off and running on one core only on dnetc.

Brucifer
12-01-2008, 03:32 PM
Yes, it appears you can select the number of cores to run the client on. I'll post the command switches in the dnet forum for reference.

I don't know what the difference is between Windoze and *nix clients. can't be that much.

No difference at all from the command line.

AMDave
12-02-2008, 12:53 PM
C:\
$:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Whatever it is that you call me when you read this....Yep! You are probably right :icon_razz:

sorry - it was begging and I couldn't resist :icon_wink:

Bender10
12-02-2008, 12:58 PM
I got stalled putting up the command reference list...busy mowing the lawn, putting on snow tyres, swapping battery in truck...taking a nap...

Brucifer
12-02-2008, 02:30 PM
C:\
$:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Whatever it is that you call me when you read this....Yep! You are probably right :icon_razz:

sorry - it was begging and I couldn't resist :icon_wink:

Well we could carry it a step further, as a good little unix boy could sit there and make the command line appear like dos if he wanted to..... :icon_twisted:

But yes, I understand what you were implying. :) However we were talking about the internals of the client when opened from the command line...:)

edit: @Nflight -- Then you go ahead and run the client for a day, and then about 0100 GMT (or whatever they call it nowdays) then you go to the distributed.net web site, and go to statistics, and then under the section of the top 100 users for the day in the "search" area, you enter in your email address and hit the search button, and up should pop a screen with you results for the previous day. Go to the bottom of that screen and click on the button that says email me my password. Then wait for that email to appear in your inbox. Once it does, there is an URL for you to click on to see your settings. Click on that, and then set that to reflect on what ever you want to show up for how you are listed.... like put Nflight in the "your real name" line, and then up on top where it say how to list, select by your real name, then save the settings. Then at the main stats page select the top 100 teams for the day, and when it comes up find AMD_Users, and then click on that, and at the bottom of that screen there is a button that says "I want to join this team" and click on that, then you will need your user account and password from that email they sent you originally, enter that, and save it and you are on the amd_users team. Your stats will show up the following day at 0100 GMT. :)

Bender10
12-05-2008, 12:59 PM
Hey Brucifer, Nice numbers on OGR. What are you running here?

But, you've been hitting this hard for a while...

Brucifer
12-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Hey Brucifer, Nice numbers on OGR. What are you running here?

But, you've been hitting this hard for a while...

Been messing around with a few things. I guess I can hit around 83K a day if I get serious at it. Those (heh heh heh) q6600s can really kick at ogr. But then the 9850BE runs along with them too. :)

Brucifer
12-06-2008, 03:32 PM
Wow, was just looking at the ogr-26 stats, and the project is already 21.01% complete. It isn't going to last much longer at this rate. Must be the proving ground for this new algorithm they are using before they throw it into a much larger effort.

Frederic Brillouet
12-06-2008, 07:07 PM
I think the DPC have a proxy withholding lots of points so when they flush it will be finished. Not entirely sure if it is happening but I read something about it recently

Brucifer
12-10-2008, 03:35 PM
Starting today my ogr output will fall significantly. I only have one X2 on it now. In an effort to reduce my heat and power consumption I have taken the quads and other X2's offline. My remaining computing assets now support the gpu efforts, which unfortunately doesn't support ogr. But there has already been a significant reduction in the a/c requirement for cooling the computer room, and that power meter outside the house isn't spinning around as fast. :icon_mrgreen:

[NGS]Cpt00Kirk
12-17-2008, 12:38 PM
I think the DPC have a proxy withholding lots of points so when they flush it will be finished. Not entirely sure if it is happening but I read something about it recently

we wanted to do a new year flush however the end date was going to januari 2009 and we saw that our flush could be in jeopardy, so we changed it to X-mas and even that was way to late. so we started flushing 2 days ago, and as you can see the stats are broken by it :icon_redface:

we have to see what happens next because finish day will be around new year when we are done flushing!!

AMDave
12-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Thank you for the update Cpt00Kirk

I think the stats server is probably waiting for the key server to catch up since it has all that returned work to process.
I doubt that anything is really "broken", just really really busy.
Hopefully the stats server will update soon and all will be well.

In the mean time, thank you for visiting the green pastures at AMD Users ;)

jamers
01-19-2009, 10:47 PM
Looking to gain 1 place today in overall standings. :icon_mrgreen:

Nflight
01-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Looking to gain 1 place today in overall standings. :icon_mrgreen:

I would like to extend an admirable appreciation for the work you are doing Jamers. Your output is tremendous and pushing our teams rank ever higher. Thank You Very Much! :blob3: :wav:

jamers
01-23-2009, 09:46 PM
I would like to extend an admirable appreciation for the work you are doing Jamers. Your output is tremendous and pushing our teams rank ever higher. Thank You Very Much! :blob3: :wav:

Thank you for the kind words, much appreciated.

This project will not last much longer, so hoping to get the team up has high in the rankings as possible before the stats are set in stone.

Bad news is production is going to be off today and tomorrow as I try to make room for a few extra machines and try to revive a few old X2's so I can get the SLI capable machines back online. Now where is that new RC5 cuda client?

Brucifer
02-20-2009, 05:58 AM
Well it looks like OGR-26(NG) is about over. Less than one day's crunching to be completed and verified. Just a matter if the remaining ones needed are the ones included in the stuff returned by the participants. So anyway, congrats to all who participated one way or another on this ones. :icon_mrgreen:

vaughan
02-20-2009, 07:44 AM
So what will happen next. Is there an OGR-NG2 or OGR-27?

Maybe we just have to focus on RC572 some more.

Brucifer
02-20-2009, 06:03 PM
There will be an OGR-27 that will start up shortly after 26 is completed. And from the way it sounds, the same client will probably be used with just the old stuff flushed out of the system. Myself, I haven't decided yet whether I'll go with ogr-27 or keep running llrnet on nplb. More likely I'll just switch back and forth between them.

yoyo
02-20-2009, 08:30 PM
There will be an OGR-27 that will start up shortly after 26 is completed. And from the way it sounds, the same client will probably be used with just the old stuff flushed out of the system. Myself, I haven't decided yet whether I'll go with ogr-27 or keep running llrnet on nplb. More likely I'll just switch back and forth between them.

I think you'll need at least version 509 of the client for OGR-27.

yoyo

liuqyn
02-26-2009, 02:52 PM
OGR-27 is running now, I hope they fix the final stats for OGR-26 as they seam to have canceled the last months worth of credits.

Brucifer
02-26-2009, 03:09 PM
yeah, I tried crunching a few, but that's about all. A seven year project... Don't know if I'm going to get very involved in this one. Unfortunately I don't have a big herd of computers and can't run all the projects. :icon_mrgreen: Currently putting more effort into NPLB.

Brucifer
02-26-2009, 08:40 PM
Is or does anyone plan on putting any effort into ogr-27??? Or is the effort going into other stuff instead?

Ototero
02-26-2009, 10:16 PM
The stats looked really weired yesterday. I thought it was a fault on their site so I ignored the stats and copied over the previous days. But the same happened today.

Are we/they already running "27" but putting the results on the "26" site?

liuqyn
02-26-2009, 10:26 PM
here is link (http://stats.distributed.net/team/tmsummary.php?project_id=27&team=28697) for our stat page.

Ototero
02-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks, they will be up tomorrow.