PDA

View Full Version : New Boinc Project!!!!

shotgunner101
12-01-2008, 02:24 AM
Info FreeRainbow tables has been around for 2 years or so and has moved from their own binary to boinc because boinc is next generation distributed computing software. They have been creating so called "rainbow tables" to prove that we need a stronger cryptography so we rainbow table attacks would be useless. I hope everyone joins this project as I have been a member since when they first created the site and they have rapidly gained the speed and technology behind this password recovery. Any questions just ask here.

http://boinc.freerainbowtables.com/distrrtgen/index.php

Team Page:
http://boinc.freerainbowtables.com/distrrtgen/team_display.php?teamid=15

If the AMD users founder wants me to tranfer over the control of the team I will Just wanted to make sure to register our team :).

NeoGen
12-01-2008, 03:02 AM
I agree on one thing, we do need some newer and better cryptographic algorithms these days, just inflating the older ones with bigger key sizes is no solution. CPUs are more and more powerful each year, and crypto keys, no matter their size, are by consequence easier to crack each year.

But I personally don't like this kind of approach. I would prefer that these guys would put their knowledge and effort into creating a new encryption algorithm instead of bashing the other ones. Anyone can point out flaws, but few people can actually present solutions.

But nevertheless, I'll probably join the project and crunch some workunits. After all, it's a boinc project, and gives out credits. :)

shotgunner101
12-01-2008, 03:32 AM
Yeah I think that they could take the time to make one if they really wanted but the time and effort to make one also takes a completly different area of studyt han cryptoanalysis it takes advanced mathematics and a very creative mind. Now I hope as this project grows the cryptologists see the need for a better cryptography system :).

liuqyn
12-01-2008, 03:33 AM
I hooked up to it, half my first run of wu's failed validation and gave no credit. and watch out for the 8Mb uploads. bottom line, not running again for awhile.

shotgunner101
12-01-2008, 05:07 AM
Okay give this project a month for them to work out the validation bugs and then try it out ok? Ill write back here when its fixed!!!

Steve Lux
12-05-2008, 04:30 PM
I won't run it. I have some serious issues with running what I consider to be "hacker" code on my system. We don't need to make a better mouse to prove that our mouse traps aren't as effective as they should be.