PDA

View Full Version : Windows XP Help requested

Nflight
12-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Ok guru's of XP, I have a good problem I need to resolve. I have a Windows XP that has just started to display everything including the desktop in a bright pink glow. :icon_twisted:

The System is a 1.8 Ghz Duron, it has sp3 installed for the last 2 months. nothing was unusual till today. I looked up the Administrative and Services link through Control Panel and find somethign called Redbook.sys being used in the administrative side sometime today. Supposedly the situation went pink when they were altering there calander which has no color adjustments available. :icon_redface:

I have changed theme's on the desktop, and appearance to no avail. The PINK glow is significantly bright even on each desktop icon when no browser or other program is open. :icon_mad:

I am at wits end folks can anyone with a clear mind show me the way to recovery~?:-(

I thought of doing a recovery function and jumping back a few days, btu I seem to remember reading that is only good for software installations, not hardware configuring~? Am i right on this idea or off kilter?

Help me I have very little hair left to pull out ~! :sad5:

AMDave
12-28-2008, 11:30 PM
I have seen this a number of times with some aging CRT monitors. Drag another compatible monitor over there and try that instead. Then you can eliminate or prove that component.

If they have an LCD, try a different GPU in the machine.

I have seen this only once with an on-board graphics card, but that was intermittently with different colour changes: green tinge, yellow tinge, redish tinge. A 1.8Ghz Duron likely has an AGP slot (2x/4x) so you may not find another GPU handy. If there is a card in that slot try lifting it out and re-seating it back into the slot, sometimes that fixes it for a while, but if the card is on the way out then a replacement should be found as soon as possible.

The way you describe it, it is likely to be one of these, but most probably an old CRT monitor.

Nflight
12-28-2008, 11:34 PM
Thanks Dave it is a LCD monitor, and my next area to look was to reseat the GPU. I thought maybe chip creep was the culprit?

AMDave
12-28-2008, 11:41 PM
Ok, you can try the LCD on another computer that you know is working, to make sure that it is not the LCD.

Your rate should be $80ph, $50 call out, 10% to amdusers.com :P

Nflight
12-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Your rate should be $80ph, $50 call out, 10% to amdusers.com :P

Sounds fair and reasonable !

vaughan
12-29-2008, 12:56 AM
Is the VGA cable from the LCD monitor inserted fully in the PC's VGA port? Also check the monitor's end of the cable.

Might have worked loose with moving the PC or LCD screen etc., and not quite making a good enough electrical contact.

The scenario reminded me of an old $ony Trinitron CRT 15inch monitor I had. Darned thing cost me $750 when new and it only lasted 3 years until it started making every thing have a red tinge. Another $100 spent to get some mysterious part replaced in it at the "$ony Agent" only to have it misbehave again with a few months. When I asked why it was so short lived they replied 3 years was good. Planned obsolescence if you ask me so I've never purchased another $ony product. Jeesh, my old Rank Arena TV is still going strong after 25 years.

Nflight
01-03-2009, 07:11 PM
The Pink screen is still there, it won't go away... I have moved, jiggled, and wiggled, the entire computer with no avail on removing that pink glow.

I am not going to worry about it.... Thanks for the all the help and suggestions. :icon_rolleyes:

AMDave
01-04-2009, 03:59 AM
Did you try a different monitor/LCD on their machine?
Did you try their LCD on a different machine?

Nflight
01-04-2009, 11:31 AM
No Dave I did not my bad, in todays menu of application alterations and frustrations I will attempt to use this technique. :icon_wink: :icon_redface: