PDA

View Full Version : CUPS surprise

AMDave
12-31-2008, 09:06 AM
About 2 days ago a CUPS update came down from my ISP's linux mirror (so about 4 days ago from Canonical).
Normally I like to read up on all of the update details so I know what I am getting before hitting the update button.
On this occasion, I observed that it was CUPS only and had other things on my mind like Christmas and New Year.
So I hit the button on the 2 workstations and let is pass with confidence.
I had never got the printer to work with the standard drivers and would not expect anything to go astray with a CUPS update.

Today we were checking out some detailed floor plans on a website and my other half / accountant / life manager hit the print button.
It was not until after 2 pages had come out perfectly that I realised that she was in Linux and the Canon PIXMA MP160 was churning out perfectly rendered pages all by itself on the dual boot machine that normally runs in XP as a games machine and to run the printer and scanner.

Previously I had been running a trial version of linux TurboPrint on the newer linux workstation, until the trial expired and moved the printer back to the dual boot machine.
We had since spoken about purchasing the license for TurboPrint as it really is an excellent product.

I paid a lot more attention to the pages as they came out and I am really pleased with the results.
It seems that TurboPrint will no longer be required after all.

That was yet another nice surprise from Ubuntu 8.10. :)
It just keeps getting better.

Somewhere out there in the land of FOSS is a developer that deserves a pat on the back, a handshake and a nice cold beer.
To that person, Thanks Mate!

Danish Dynamite
12-31-2008, 09:24 AM
happy ending to the year :icon_thumright: