PDA

View Full Version : CUDA beta4

Brucifer
02-23-2009, 09:51 PM
Okay, a new beta out. I was reading in the docs, and there is mention of the ATI gpu.... under the linux64 anyway, so I would imagine that it is there for linux32 also, and probably even windows. So maybe if one of you folks that has an ATI gpu would look through that and try stuff out........................................... RC5 that is.....

vaughan
02-24-2009, 01:54 AM
My ATI 4870 GPU is on the Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit box. I guess I could transplant it to the Opteron 165 that's running Ubuntu 8.10 32bit and swap its 8800GT over to the other machine.

Have Distributed Net put a "Use By Date" on the latest CUDA client again?

Brucifer
02-24-2009, 02:43 AM
yeah, another 28day wonder.

vaughan
03-04-2009, 05:19 AM
Well I can report that my Linux knowledge has improved again with this latest Beta 4 dnetc client. :icon_wink:

Michael got it installed on the Quadfather (thanks mitchellds :icon_thumright: ) with 2 Galaxy 9800GT 512 MB GPUs. We hadn't tried it on a dual GPU setup previously so that was the first hurdle to overcome.

Next we found that it wouldn't report any work done. :(

Michael found it wasn't recognizing the keyserver's url so we had to ping the keyserver and copy the IP address into the configuration with dnetc -a xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx. Next, we had to do a dnetc -flush

All working now. :icon_rolleyes:

I wonder what the next month's Beta will teach us. :rolleyes:

AMDave
03-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Well it looks like that problem is fixed :)
No way I am going to catch you now. ha ha

AMDave
03-23-2009, 11:07 PM
Well Beta 4 has expired.

It stops just as ungracefully as its predecessors, without flushing the cache.

So you will likely have a few finished but unreturned work units on your client.

Don't forget to "-flush" them back to the server and make sure you get all the credit you deserve :)

Brucifer
03-24-2009, 01:13 AM
Yeah... doesn't take someone much time to just do a recompile and change the date so they can extend it if they truly aren't ready to put out a "new" beta. It's not like the GPU's are given away out in the stores. People pay serious bucks to play the game for them. And this is with the hardware that is putting out the serious outputs for the rc5 project.

Of course one can just set their computer clock back and run the client. But they shouldn't have to do that cause the distributed.net folks should have enough respect for the people contributing to their project to keep the clients from expiring.

Besides the stuff like the RS project and others just fading off the face of the planet, stuff like this beta client hassle is more stuff that is just taking away the shine and fun and excitement of the DC world. Whatta crock of $h*t.

Edit: But they got their wish. The GPU's are pulled off the rc5 stuff now. I'm glad I didn't buy another GPU yesterday and instead put the bucks into Intel Q9400's. Those work good on the nplb stuff. May even just pull the AMD cpu's on OGR stuff off that too (they also have the gpu's in them) and shut them down and save the bucks on electricity.

edit: edit: I decided to just shut down the AMD systems and stop ogr stuff too. Still no cuda rc5 client, so I'm just going to concentrate on NPLB only.