PDA

View Full Version : Folding Questions

StrategyFreak
03-09-2009, 08:08 PM
I am currently contributing with a PS3 (i don't have the time to play games, so might as well make use of it somehow), my current desktop (E8400 and 8800gts (the old g80 version from 2-3 years ago), a laptop, and a bunch of old computers.

The laptop has a T7500 processor and 8600m gt gpu. Right now I am only running the gpu client, do you guys think it would be advisable to attempt running the smp client alongside it? I normally wouldn't have any problems trying it if it were a desktop, but I am worried about the heat problems.

Also, I am planning to upgrade to a gtx 260 (Sorry AMD, your graphics cards just can't compare to nvidia's in terms of folding performance) and put the 8800 gts on a dedicated folding rig with one of the cheaper non i7 intel processors, such as the q6600. I have a spare heatsink, power supply, and RAM, so it probably would cost me 200-300 dollars at most. Is it a good idea?

vaughan
03-09-2009, 08:54 PM
SF I would be worried about the heat from a GPU card and a CPU running 100% My son tried RC572 GPU client on his Dell XPS-M1330 and some other project for the CPU and the thing got to 90C :icon_rolleyes: so he abandoned that idea. True his Dell has heat and GPU issues (design fault or planned obsolescence?) but it has cost Dell support two motherboards and GPUs in two years so far. Good thing we purchased 3 years XPS support hey. :icon_wink:

For the desktop, your solution sounds OK but I'm not sure how strong that 2-3 yr old GPU will be. Try it, else you'll never know. A Q6600 is good bang per buck but they run hotter than current Intel quads, just get a good HSF and don't be greedy with your overclocking.

mitchellds
03-09-2009, 09:01 PM
Hi SF (one of my favorite Rick James songs),

If your going with one of the low cost Intel quads, definitely pay a little more and go with the Q9300. It runs much smoother and cooler than the Q6600, especially if you plan to OC.

StrategyFreak
03-10-2009, 02:18 AM
Thanks for the help vaughan. I'll just let it run some gpu WU's with a laptop cooling pad.

As for the 8800 gts, I might just build a system with a cheap dual core processor instead of a quad core (since the gpu's give the best ppu per dollar) using a dual vga mobo. After I get my tax return I might replace the 8800 gts with dual 9800 gt cards.

StrategyFreak
03-13-2009, 02:29 AM
GTX 260 installed and crunching away.

Edit: Also ordered a 9600 gso for $50 after rebate to pair with the 8800 gts. Will set that up when I get the time.