PDA

View Full Version : Core group?

LP
10-07-2004, 09:09 AM
I know I'm new here, but I was wondering how many "core" users does the team have?

It seems the team is spread over a lot of projects, and then tends to have a hard time keeping up in some.
Maybe we could choose a core group of projects that the core group of team members could run, on a rotating basis?

When I look at the Stats page and see Red, I think the team may be spread too thin?

What do you all think?

AMDave
10-07-2004, 09:53 AM
LP, when you check the member stats pages on the project sites, a lot (most) of the reads are members who have not posted for a very long time.

I suppose you could define the core group as those of us munching on multiple projects and participating in the team rallies and the Team site.

Thin. Perhaps. We could always use more members.
I spoke with a potential member today (has new Sempron + DSL) and planted a seed. I should get the chance to water it again next week.

If you know of any likely candidates, don't be bashful, give them the opportunity to get their feet wet in DC.

Empty_5oul
10-07-2004, 09:56 AM
if you want new members you could always ask another AMD group on DC if they wanted to merge and become us - in the DC community our site is pretty good, we have generally high positions and lots of participation in the forums.
personally i think we should carry on as we are and if people come to us and ask to join then thats kool but we sholdnt be activley looking for members.

AMDave
10-07-2004, 10:09 AM
:?:
I didn't suggest a marketing capaign :lol:
I'm just casually asking friends if they would like to come along for the ride.
Besides us Aussies are a bit outnumbered in this team, in spite of the fact that there are litterally thousands of Aussies running DC projects.
I see no reason why we shouldn't have a few more :?:

Ototero
10-07-2004, 10:22 AM
Once our SoB target is reached, we could elect to shore up the red stats.

How about getiing all projects up into the top 50 for a start

Empty_5oul
10-07-2004, 12:37 PM
maybe but as i posted before we dont want to lose some of our hard earned places. also the projects we are not in the top few for we are a long way off, in grid etc about 2 thousand, i dont know how long thi would take to reach at full power ??

LP
10-07-2004, 03:11 PM
I'm not talking so much about getting new members, but choosing certain projects that we can excel in.
No doubt, we can't expect to maintain high scores in all the listed projects.
If you had to choose 5 or even 10 to run, what would they be?

Someone posted about having a goal. Maybe our goal can be just
"to advance" in certain projects?

ahab3333
10-07-2004, 03:26 PM
i think that choosing one or even a handfull of projects will not be helpful because we all have our favorite project. if we rotate the top project we can make everyone happy and gain members. if we spend one month on one project then rotate to another one, it should bump our position a great deal even in one month and then the members who always run that program will mantain the postition. we would lose people if we tell them not to run their favorite program because we didnt have enough support for it.

Empty_5oul
10-07-2004, 04:50 PM
i think the system we use at the moment is good.
thinking about core it would be hard to narrow down and some of our members just run one project though now people have become more flexible.

having people run anything is good and then we as a team picka priority projet to run for a while until the goal we have set is met.
it seems to work well so why change it ??

LP
10-07-2004, 07:07 PM
I think you guys are misunderstanding me.
I just mean something like running the Gauntlet, like FreeDC does.
No-one has to participate. No-one has to run a project they don't want to.

Ototero
10-07-2004, 07:27 PM
I don't think we've ever considered any core projects. We have 1 prime in which we encourage members to contribute to.

If you look at the newest stats pages, you'll see we have 300 DCers, maybe 60 actually crunching. But only about 20 post here.

Those 20 would follow the prime project, the others would continue their favourites.

In the past, no. 1 proj was Ubero, then predictor, d2ol and now 17.

We'll be having a vote in a few days what the next no. 1 is. But we'll still dribble away on the others.

My position would be, ignor boinc (unstable imho) and concentrate on f@h, grid and seti classic.

Phew, that was a long post, Dave you'll be proud of me ;)

Empty_5oul
10-07-2004, 07:38 PM
nicely put ototero, im not the only one thinking we already use that - if by mistake lol

i found this on the Free DC site - (when looking to see how their gauntlet worked)

http://www.free-dc.org/forum/showthread.php?s=b60f0d4d0af84a21011bc60959de0c45&threadid=7378

it makes good reading as we caught up and over took them :thumbleft:

LP
10-08-2004, 07:33 PM
Can I re-phrase my question? lol ;)
What projects do you guys run?

Ototero
10-08-2004, 07:37 PM
All of them. Sorry to be a smart arse :lol:

Empty_5oul
10-08-2004, 10:22 PM
the mian recent priority projects have been predictor, d2ol and now SOB.
overall we run all project sand have got some high positions in some, run whatever you want but try to follow our priority project as that is why we have it set to priority status.

the way yopu joined SOB oculd be seen as helping for the priority project.
if you check stu's new stats page you can see what we have renently been running :thumbleft: btw its looking great

Chops
10-09-2004, 10:33 PM
All of them. Sorry to be a smart arse :lol:

er, yep! know the feeling. Though right now im not crunchin wit the Ninjas ATM :laughing1:

AMDave
10-10-2004, 01:32 AM
Hi Chops.
Welcome back.

Ototero
10-10-2004, 02:01 PM
Chops,

You can crunch with us.

Edited.

Beerknurd
10-10-2004, 02:02 PM
Yes... Welcome back....... I missed your avatar..... :sex: