PDA

View Full Version : Help Fight Childhood Cancer - New WCG Project

Ramjet
03-28-2009, 12:48 AM
You Can Help End Childhood Cancer

Alert to all members of World Community Grid - your donated computer cycle time may now help find a cure for childhood cancers! There is a group of cancers that are particularly loathsome because they normally only strike young children. Neuroblastoma is one of these cancers, arising in children under the age of two and resulting in a less than 40% survival rate.

While scientists have uncovered the three proteins that enable this cancer to grow, they now need to search the three million drug candidates for a treatment. And your computer can help us complete this search in the next year.
The rapid advancement of genetic research at Chiba Cancer Center Research Institute holds great promise for treating neuroblastoma. The new Help Fight Childhood Cancer project will use the idle computational power from your computer to identify which of the three million potential drug candidates can inhibit growth of three particular proteins believed to prevent successful treatment via conventional approaches, such as chemotherapy.

"Our promising research will be further advanced by the free computing power we will use from World Community Grid," said Dr. Akira Nakagawara, the principal investigator at the Chiba Cancer Center Research Institute. "It would take us about 100 years using our own computing resources to make progress, but with access to one of the world's largest virtual supercomputers, we estimate to complete this project in two years, and begin laboratory trials."

More Info here:http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/projects_showcase/hfcc/viewHfccMain.do?utm_source=email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=hfcc_announce

NeoGen
03-28-2009, 02:29 PM
It's good to see that WCG is always active on the biomedical field, and endorsing new projects. :)

Does anyone know if they have GPU client apps already? That would really boost their research.

Jason1478963
03-31-2009, 08:17 PM
They have many good projects. I haven't seen any sign of GPU apps at WCG. The posts I was reading at WCG seemed like the GPU may not be right for their current projects. I'm hoping they will be able to do something in the near future. if not with the current 5 or 6 projects maybe with a new project.