PDA

View Full Version : Tug's Uptime Project

NeoGen
06-24-2009, 06:16 PM
Hey guys

Who in here likes uptime counting projects? :)

If anyone is wondering what uptime counting is, it's simply counting how much time your computer(s) can run for without a reboot or shut down. Crunching folks like ourselves tend to leave the computers running for months on end without even a reboot. (as long as it's not running Windows :icon_wink:)

This generates a wealth of stats data, like who keeps their machines running for the longest time, what is the more stable OS, etc.

There used to be a really good uptime counting project a few years ago, that our Team was in for the last few years of its life, but alas, as it grew largely beyond the expectations and become complicate to maintain within the little free time and resources it's founders had, it was shut down.

But now a new offspring is born, and altough it's still in its infancy it has been demostrating quite good results already. I am talking about Tug's Uptime Project, (www.uptimeprj.com (http://www.uptimeprj.com))

I have been running this for a while and it is quite good. My uptime is at almost a month already. There are clients for a wide range of OS'es on the download section, there's individual and team ranking tables (we're ranked #12), and our Team is already created there(http://team.uptimeprj.com/162/en/) :icon_mrgreen:

If anyone's interested, do join and apply for our Team. In this project people have to apply for teams, and the team founder accept them in. It's not common, I know, but don't worry, I am the team founder and I regularly check our team there to see if anyone new applied. :)

txt.file
06-27-2009, 11:21 PM
actually my vps is the teams number one computer. hurray. But i have a problem (http://forum.uptimeprj.com/viewtopic.php?id=309) with my main-pc.

It's a very cool project and i love it.

Beerknurd
06-28-2009, 03:50 PM
Forum Created.

NeoGen
06-30-2009, 07:17 AM
Well... I've broken my all time record of keeping my daily work machine with Windows running for over 30 days! Every extra hour I can get this machine running without crashing just adds up to my personal record. :icon_mrgreen:

Got to be very careful here... windows is very sensible... one wrong click and I may just get a blue screen! :icon_lol:

P.S.: We raised one position since my initial post, we're ranked #11 now! :)

NeoGen
07-09-2009, 03:02 PM
Liuqyn, how can you keep Windows running without crashing for over 2 months? What kind of sorcery is that? :icon_lol:

I'm happily going for over 40 days now, and for several times I had problems that almost made me reboot, but I managed to solve them in the last moment.
Driver issues are the worst... even plugging something on a USB port like a headset may cause windows to look for drivers and then want to reboot after, simply because I plugged it in the "wrong" port. (It has to be always the same exact port, or otherwise it reinstalls drivers)

liuqyn
07-09-2009, 03:36 PM
whats more amazing is that it's my media server with nearly 20Tb storage capacity that feeds video to 5 HTPCs and other desktops, also we use remote desktop to do video converting on it as well as running boinc 24/7. ironically, I'm waiting for it to go down so I can add some more ram that I bought for it almost 2 months ago.

liuqyn
07-20-2009, 05:10 AM
ugggg... had a network switch quit while I was on the road, when the "family" couldn't reach my media server they rebooted it thinking that would fix the problem, so much for my nearly 3 months uptime on this box.

ps. replaced the switch and all was good again.

NeoGen
07-21-2009, 01:53 PM
So far on our team you are the record holder of the longest uptime for a windows machine Liuqyn.

Now if I can only hold on for just one more month I'll break your windows uptime record. :)

liuqyn
07-21-2009, 02:40 PM
you better hold on tight, as I will be back....

NeoGen
07-25-2009, 06:58 PM
Aaaaaarrgh!!! :-(

Windows explorer completely crashed on me without chance of recovery... The computer was unusable, I had to do a reboot.

My all time uptime record stays at 1 month and 27 days.

The windows uptime record remains in your hands Liuqyn, but I'll be back. :icon_wink:

liuqyn
07-25-2009, 07:15 PM
awe how sad....:icon_twisted:

liuqyn
07-25-2009, 07:27 PM
I see you did beat my 2nd best box though.

Beerknurd
07-26-2009, 02:20 PM
Ok, I joined the party... Someone accept me!!! :)

NeoGen
07-26-2009, 06:20 PM
You're in! :)

txt.file
07-27-2009, 12:56 AM
Wow. I just took a look in the stats and I'm actually the #1 in our team. What are you all doing? running windoze :D

come on guys. you can reach me. I have just only my VPS for the total uptime.

liuqyn
07-27-2009, 01:18 AM
I'm working on it, but it takes time.:evil6:

txt.file
08-25-2009, 07:25 PM
:-( :sad5: my vps decided to go down for some reason I :dontknow:. Thats so bad I could :cussing:.
So now I search for :help: what logfiles could contain the reason.

Please run over me but don't :icon_lol: about me. Until someone got me I have the highest max uptime for our team. :blob3:

EDIT: this is my 50. post here. :qgreenjumpers:

Jason1478963
08-31-2009, 04:04 AM
neat project. good work on the windows uptimes guys. I'm sure Mr Gates would be proud. I find it amazing people have uptimes of years. What do you do for kernel updates and security updates?? I am currently waiting for an email to setup a few machines on this project to help out.

Jason1478963
08-31-2009, 01:27 PM
I'm in with one machine and waiting acceptance to the team. I am having a hard time with my linux setup. I seem to be having the same problem as txt.file I sure hope he has figured this out as I'm lost on what I did wrong.

txt.file
08-31-2009, 11:47 PM
Sry but I also don't know why my two debian-boxes at home won't work with TUP's. The error makes no sense to me cause all other network stuff is working.

With Linux you only need to reboot for update the kernel. Nearly all other stuff can be updated when the system is running. And I think that an older Linuxkernel isn't really a security hole. Some computer run even today with a 2.4.x-kernel.

Jason1478963
09-07-2009, 05:01 AM
thanks for the info.

I'm still looking for an acceptance to the team.

thanks in advance

NeoGen
09-14-2009, 05:00 PM
Ooops... Sorry Jason! :icon_redface:

My apologies to everyone, I've been distracted with a million other things lately and forgot to check the uptime project team.

I've just accepted two people in that were in waiting list, names Foley and Ludofloria, are you one of those?

Jason1478963
09-16-2009, 03:22 AM
I don't think either of those are me. I accidentally clicked the wrong one first and wondered if that caused some trouble. In my profile I had to exit that team and have requested to join ours. We all have to wonder away from the computer from time to time.

thanks again

Jason1478963
09-21-2009, 01:19 AM
I dropped the ball on my windows uptime. I was playing around with linuxMCE on 2 computers when I kicked the breaker that ran most of my pharm. I guess 10 computers on one circuit is a bit to much. I will be making some changes to prevent this in the future. I think adding another circuit to the UPS and a circuit for monitors and other non essential crunching equipment. I hope you guys did better planning for your uptime machines.