PDA

View Full Version : Collatz Conjecture

liuqyn
07-07-2009, 04:54 PM
new project, sorta, it continues where 3x+1@home left off. invite only at the moment.

Main page (http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/index.php)

Team page (http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/team_display.php?teamid=65)

I hope they open it up soon, I liked running 3x+1.

vaughan
07-08-2009, 01:45 AM
Oh another alpha cum laude project :)

Warning: fsockopen() [function.fsockopen (http://boinc.thesonntags.com/collatz/function.fsockopen)]: unable to connect to mail.google.com:25 (Connection timed out) in /home/boincadm/projects/collatz/html/inc/phpmailer/class.smtp.php on line 105
Language string failed to load: connect_host
Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/boincadm/projects/collatz/html/inc/phpmailer/class.smtp.php:105) in /home/boincadm/projects/collatz/html/inc/util.inc on line 113

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/boincadm/projects/collatz/html/inc/phpmailer/class.smtp.php:105) in /home/boincadm/projects/collatz/html/inc/util.inc on line 116

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/boincadm/projects/collatz/html/inc/phpmailer/class.smtp.php:105) in /home/boincadm/projects/collatz/html/inc/util.inc on line 117

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/boincadm/projects/collatz/html/inc/phpmailer/class.smtp.php:105) in /home/boincadm/projects/collatz/html/inc/util.inc on line 118

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/boincadm/projects/collatz/html/inc/phpmailer/class.smtp.php:105) in /home/boincadm/projects/collatz/html/inc/util.inc on line 119
Email failed
Can't send email to vaughan@my email

AMDave
07-08-2009, 09:29 AM
Hmmm.
CUDA, but on Windows only so far.
sigh

liuqyn
07-08-2009, 10:10 AM
and ATI with optimized app, again windows only.

Nflight
07-08-2009, 10:26 AM
It looks like this may be the first CUDA only project so far. GPU's will rule ! :blob3: If I only had a GPU that would accept CUDA :-(~!

mitchellds
07-09-2009, 01:24 AM
I see that Cluster Physik and Gipsel shared code for the opti app just like over at MW@home. His app over there gains me about 150k-200k per day running on 2 ATI cards. Reading the forum here kinda indicates early beta issues still ongoing...

liuqyn
07-11-2009, 12:22 AM
from site.

News

Come one and all!
July 10, 2009, 19:02 CST
The invite code has been turned off so anyone can join. Email notifications are now working also.

Beerknurd
07-11-2009, 02:44 AM
I joined and got some WU's... Says 50 hours on a quad 9650... :(

vaughan
07-11-2009, 05:10 AM
Yep that's about right for a CPU. Now throw a GPU on it and see it fly :)

Nflight
07-11-2009, 09:35 AM
So trying it out on a CPU is pretty much a waste of time? OR your comment here please ~!? :-(

vaughan
07-11-2009, 11:29 AM
This project's estimated task run time is interesting. For example, my Intel Q8200 @ 2.33GHz running Win 7 64bit downloaded two tasks. One says 57 minutes the next says 47 hrs 47 minutes? The 57 minute task is being crunched by the GPU, the other task by the CPU.

Conclusion: the GPU is 50x more efficient at crunching the Collatz tasks.

liuqyn
07-11-2009, 01:07 PM
I received this e-mail from the admin,

Credit on the CPU apps is slightly above average vs. the BOINC standard. That being said, while the CPU apps work well, due to the ability to run 16 -800 iterations in parallel on an nVidia CUDA or ATI CAL/Brook GPUS vs. a CPU far outweighs the processing power of a CPU on this project, so machines with CUDA and RC600+ ATI machines will get far more credit per hour.

As did the original 3x+1 app , the CPU apps currently uses the GNU GMP library on the CPU apps whereas the GPU apps use a 240 bit library. At some point, the will cease to return valid results whereas the CPU apps will continue to work. So, while the GPU apps are limited to 2^240 bites, the CPU is virtually unlimited.

In other words, for now, the CUDA and ATI cards will do much, much better on this project than the CPU only versions, even with the CPU SSE or SSE2 optimized apps. Then again, the GPU apps require much more electricity. Got any suggestions as to what to tell my wife why our electric bill is almost double that of last year while we have the same number of computers? J

Jon Sonntag

Beerknurd
07-11-2009, 01:39 PM
I aborted them... I ain't waiting 50 hours... :lol:

AMDave
07-12-2009, 02:24 AM
LOL.
He should tell her to stop using the hairdryer. :icon_mrgreen:

I aborted my CPU wu as well.
Waiting for the Linux-CUDA client (I hope they are working on that)

AMDave
07-12-2009, 05:18 AM
Hey, Beerknurd

don't forget to set your project settings to "Use CPU = N"
otherwise when you connect again it will download CPU work units again.
I'm going to try an old ATI card on the win machine later (when I can get my son to take a break from WoW & battlenet :icon_razz: )

Nflight
08-13-2009, 07:14 PM
I am going to wait one work unit out and see how long it takes! I know I am crazy but I don't have a compatible video card at this time... :(

Estimated time is 102 hours on my system. I will tell you when it is complete on Monday!

liuqyn
08-14-2009, 01:59 AM
CPU tasks are much faster now (64bit windows anyway), running 2-3 hours on average.

Beerknurd
08-14-2009, 01:59 AM
How are the credits??

liuqyn
08-14-2009, 02:10 AM
one of my 940's is running them about 7000 seconds and getting about 160 credit. so right around 82/hour. or 8k per day. not including whats running on it's GTX285 which is about 1500 seconds(wall time) for the same 160ish credit. which should nab it another 9k per day.

so, CPU credits are good right now, but cuda creds are on the low side.

liuqyn
08-14-2009, 02:15 AM
not sure what the ATI cards are running right now, have to wait til I get home to set them up.

Beerknurd
08-14-2009, 03:30 AM
CPU WU's still say 96 hours to complete... WTF??? :lol:

Am I doing something wrong??

Beerknurd
08-14-2009, 03:56 AM
Ok... The time is shaving off pretty fast... I was scared for a second... I'll leave the quad on it or a few days... We will see how it goes... I hate quorums though.

Nflight
08-14-2009, 12:38 PM
My Monday check up is going to come pretty fast, ETA is finishing in about 14 hours on my slow systems. That is a lot better then the projected 102 hours per Work Unit as I originally posted.

I wish, oh I wish I had a CUDA enabled gizmo! :blob3:

liuqyn
08-14-2009, 12:54 PM
your running 32bit right? it may be time to upgrade to x64 soon. this project and several others run much faster on 64bit.

AMDave
08-14-2009, 04:18 PM
I'm going to try an old ATI card on the win machine later (when I can get my son to take a break from WoW & battlenet :icon_razz: )

The card was out of scope.
Them's the breaks.

was that a pun?:icon_razz:

Nflight
08-16-2009, 12:45 PM
your running 32bit right? it may be time to upgrade to x64 soon. this project and several others run much faster on 64bit.

Yes 32 bit, upgrade in Due time, for now will chug along at hyper speed with two cylinders! I have several V6's lying in waiting! Yes and one of those CUDA thingy's too!

Hey I am on the roster with points now! :blob3:

AMDave
08-26-2009, 10:24 AM
The devs are progressing but slow.
No more patience left ... must ... must crunch

10K OR BUST! :icon_twisted:

ReadySetGo :icon_wink:

Nflight
08-26-2009, 10:45 AM
You're ...On ! :blob3:

NeoGen
08-26-2009, 08:24 PM
I've been running this project on GPU (cuda), and it puzzles me that it almost doesn't raise the temperatures of the gpu while running, while any other project when running it raises the temp >10 degrees Celsius.

Is this project not making full use of the gpu's capabilities?

liuqyn
08-26-2009, 08:36 PM
not right now, no. they are working on new apps that will greatly increase utilization and credits though.

case in point, my 9800GTX+ cards nearly match the output of my GTX285's and my 9600GT isn't far behind.

NeoGen
08-26-2009, 09:27 PM
So ideally we should run this project on gpu along with another project that also used the gpu... but it has to be non-boinc because boinc won't allow to run more than 1 project at a time (for gpu) if I have only 1 gpu.
Only option is Folding@home right?

liuqyn
08-26-2009, 09:44 PM
not sure if that would work, cpu's can share just don't know if gpu's will. feel free to try and let us know.

AMDave
08-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Drat. I was catching up with NeoGen using CPUs only, but now the site is down for me, and is also showing as down for the stats sites (Free-DC (http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=boinc_status) and BOINCstats (http://boincstats.com/) - bottom left).

There was no RSS message before they went down so it looks like an unplanned outage.

I hope they didn't lose the stats =<
If I run out of work before they come back I'll be on Zivis

AMDave
08-28-2009, 10:52 AM
uhoh
10K planning calculations finished.
Sometime in the next 17 hours I going to hit either the
"AWW. SHAZZBUTT!"
or
"WOOHOO! BANZAI!" moment.

But, I'm so pumped at the moment I want to SMASH this 10K.

sigh. We'll see. Maybe Nflight can sort out his overload problem on the other project and jump back here and give chase.

...hmm... or maybe I should be going there ?

Hey, NFlight, what's your plan for the weekend?

Nflight
08-28-2009, 01:26 PM
Collatz Conjecture is on standby, I am proceeding with finishing up Climate Prediction and rounding out those wonderful last two work units to hit 10,000. Then I am running Ralph and that looks to take quite a bit more time then before I thought it out all the way. RSA Lattice is churning out more then 1200 points a day if I was running it full bore. That is as much as Milkyway if my memory serves me right?

Nothing is without its obstacles though, RSA went down last night and would not upload for more then 4 hours. Ralph has its no work unit stretches that can last weeks then boom there's work but the length of those work units are stifling. Collatz on my system is more then 12 hours long anyway you look at it. NO GPU here

I am shooting for 38 10K's but mid September if I can make it!

liuqyn
08-28-2009, 02:53 PM
back up again.

AMDave
08-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Woohoo! Banzai!

:)

Beerknurd
09-20-2009, 06:15 AM
Forum Created.

Jason1478963
10-19-2009, 02:28 AM
the site seems to be having some trouble this weekend. I've also had some trouble on yoyo@home. I'm looking forward to some more projects like this that can run on my ATI and have less server trouble

Nflight
01-31-2010, 05:09 PM
Woo Hoo, he hit that ultimate goal if there ever was one! Congratulations AMDave that is a level you never expected till GPU's came to power ! ! !
:blob3: :wav:

AMDave
01-31-2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks. It is nice to see this one turn up.
Took some real commitment from a 9600GT :D

We had several power outages this month and I inadvertently messed up my MBR doing some partition changes and ended up spending 2 days doing a complete upgrade.

It arrived at 10pm on Jan 31 (last night for me), just, and only just, achieving my SMART goal of getting there in Jan.

vaughan
02-01-2010, 12:09 AM
Well done Dave. A 1 x 10 to the power 6 award for ye. :icon_wink:

Brucifer
03-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Bump this pea-picker back up to the top of the list............................. Lol Course I don't know as that matters much since there isn't any traffic!! :-)

But I joined your little collatz club here gang, and read through the preceeding posts. I noticed comment about output across various gpu cards not spreading much due to a lack of optimization directed at specific card capabilities. Is this supposed to happen yet, or has it happened? I ask because I don't really see that much difference between cards here. So far I have a GTS-250, a GTX-275, a couple XFX 5770's and a couple XFX 4890's running on it. I expected that there would be more of a spread between the outputs. While the listed timings for estimated completion time show differently for the cards in actual points output after verification they are much closer together than I would have thought. ????

Brucifer
04-05-2010, 09:54 AM
I've gone back to crunching rc5 folks as the client is much more stable and I don't have to baby sit it like I do the boinc with my ISP issues. I get a burp in the line, and then boinc doesn't connect, and it whines, and then the work runs out, blah blah...... But ya got some points for a few days there. :-)

liuqyn
04-05-2010, 11:09 AM
feel free to come back anytime.

Brucifer
04-05-2010, 09:28 PM
at least with rc5 I can run a personal proxy server, so I can rathole 3 or 4 days work on the thing so I don't have to worry about playing games with internet interruptions. I guess in theory, boinc is supposed to be able to do the same thing by extending the contact time between the client and the server. Unfortunately, when boinc can't talk then it starts it's freak out stage. I end up with the thing saying there isn't a default internet connection and to pick one, however it doesn't let me pick one..... ???? So anyway, I just decided I'd rather switch than fight. :icon_mrgreen: Now if I didn't have rc5 to crunch, then that would probably significantly impact my willingness to babysit the arrangement. But that's about the long and the short of it. No biggie really. :)

Jason1478963
04-06-2010, 11:51 PM
i put a few GPU to use on here then all the CPU's on WCG.

Brucifer
04-08-2010, 12:43 AM
Was there something out on a heating issue under load causing a possibility of a fan slowdown on the latest ATI drivers??? I seem to remember reading about that somewhere but I can't find it now????? Like on the 5770's?????

Nflight
04-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Wow; Here is one for ya! I have never seen this before in all my crunching lifetime with BOINC. I just got up to my goal with Collatz Collecture and decided to move my crunching to another project. So I decided to upload my finished work units then reset the project so I would be clear of potential work units. That's where the problem exists. It seems Collatz does not want me to leave. It keeps sending me 12 work units, I abort them and they show up, I reset the project and they show up! I can't get rid of this scenario Should I detach the project all together? For the love of GOD leave me alone Collatz your scaring me...:( Yes the Status 'Won't get new Tasks' is engaged! Are there evil powers at work here? :icon_twisted: Has any one else experienced this phenomenon before myself? :sad5:

AMDave
04-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Yes detach.

vaughan
04-13-2010, 12:06 AM
Agree. Detach. Close BOINC. Re-boot PC. Wait for startup tofinish including BOINC startup and then check to see if Collatz has shown up in the Messages tab. It should NOT be there.

Brucifer
04-13-2010, 03:41 AM
So trying it out on a CPU is pretty much a waste of time? OR your comment here please ~!? :-(

yup it is. You are better off putting your cpu's onto something that doesn't support gpu's where they are on a level playing field. :-)

Brucifer
04-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Anyone aware of what the problem with Collatz it? Their site has been down for several hours now. Can't up or download anything. This was what kept me previously from getting very involved with this project....

NeoGen
04-07-2012, 06:46 PM
The site just appears to be down, I can't get to it too.

I hope they get it fixed soon, but realistically I wouldn't expect anything before monday. I am on my last 2 cached workunits and then if they are still down I will have to change to something else...

Brucifer
04-07-2012, 09:39 PM
yeah, really sucks. To chang to my other project Ive got to change gpu's, which means Ive got to dump everything. :-(

cmayer777
04-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Interesting project, but where are the results???
I have no idea or care what a "team score" is, or what units they are measured in.
I'm assuming we are testing ever higher numbers for convergence, while finding glide and path records.
Where are the stats? How high have we tested? What are the glide and path records?
I can't seem to find ANY data on results of all our donated CPU and GPU time, so please, if it exists, could someone please point me to it?
I wrote my own 3x+1 program, and have tested up to 2^62 so far.
Thanks!

Dirk Broer
04-08-2012, 09:18 AM
As a team we've scored 977,661,354.30 credits with Collatz, which makes us the 21st team world-wide
99 members have contributed to that result, 23 of which are still active in the project.
As the project server(s) are/is down, there is no way of finding out how they measure their credits, nor
what the actual standings of the project are.

On 31-12-2010 there was this message
1.9 quintillion numbers have been checked since the last high steps was found so finding a new high is more difficult than winning the lottery. Congratulations goes out to valterc and Georges who have are the first to find a number with 2,651 steps on 27 December 2010. The very next day, valterc again found another one with 2,651 steps. This time, his wingman was [XTBA>XTC] FRED. The new find has been noted on the Collatz Best Results page. If you prefer better odds, your chances of finding the daily high is about 1 in 35,000. Those results can be found on the Daily Highest Steps page.

Dirk Broer
04-08-2012, 10:37 PM
yeah, really sucks. To chang to my other project Ive got to change gpu's, which means Ive got to dump everything. :-(
Change to Moo! or MilkyWay, so you can keep your Ati/AMD gear..

Brucifer
04-09-2012, 03:03 AM
my ati stuff with the exception of two 4850's won't crunch milky way. Had to put the nvidia stuff back in to crunch milky way. Only have one 5770 now for collatz, and it's crunching rc5 until collatz is back up. While I don't get the points on milky way that i can with collatz, milky way is much more stable. I get really ticked why I end up with a bunch of wasted cruncher time. So I'll just work on milky way for a while. If I had another 4850 or 69xx I'd put that on milky way too. But all i have is a gtx460, and it sucks juice and id too slow in milky way, do thuss the 5770 on rc5.

NeoGen
04-09-2012, 03:42 AM
I changed to Moo Wrapper... my little old GPU is not double precision capable so Milkyway is out of the question.