PDA

View Full Version : Possible Dumb question.

DMMc
10-12-2004, 08:18 PM
I know that for years AMD processors have been at a disadvantage due to most code being written with Intel based processors in mind, but I have noticed something that, to me anyway, is odd. :?
When running the SoB client my Intel systems flat EAT the AMDs up. Performance is easily double. With BOINC tho, the AMDs appear to have the advantage in the same or better proportion. Doesn't seem to matter which "flavor" of project.
What is the difference :?:

Empty_5oul
10-12-2004, 08:56 PM
i guess it depends who writes the code, whichever system it is coded on originally it will be developed towards that os BOINC could have been largely created on AMd's therefore thats why they have the edge.
saying that i am currently running SOB so in future i guess people with P4's should do that whike i do BOINC to get maximum points form our input ??

Keith75
10-12-2004, 09:00 PM
I had been silently thinking that for some time. Why have our AMDs chugging away on something they aren't any good at when we have alot of members with P4s that should be doing it instead and vise-versa.

Empty_5oul
10-12-2004, 09:05 PM
it just occured to me lol :P,

seems a bit of a waste as my XP 3200+ could be doing something where it producs better likewise with someone elses p4. i know swapping wont help the others stats but i am willing to try a different project with this (xp3200+) if someone will swap and put their P4 on SOB.

DMMc
10-13-2004, 12:09 AM
...seems a bit of a waste as my XP 3200+ could be doing something where it producs better likewise with someone elses p4. i know swapping wont help the others stats but i am willing to try a different project with this (xp3200+) if someone will swap and put their P4 on SOB.

two things...
1. Producing ANY cycles for ANY project is not a waste. I've had K6s running SoB. Not putting out much but they were chugging away where we needed them.
2. I agree that the idea of swapping is a good one...now if we could just figure a way to do it.. :-k

Empty_5oul
10-13-2004, 11:03 AM
we would have to make a form in say excel or somethig similar and then arrange the machines in order, we could then decide what projects to run based on what we are best at producing for.

where i said waste which DMMc quoted, i didnt mean waste in the sense of a waste of time but when i could outproduce a p4 at something and vice versa i meant - as a team we are wasting time, not using our resources to thir best use.