PDA

View Full Version : beta 7

Brucifer
07-19-2009, 05:21 PM
I don't know why I keep messing around with RC5, but I do. So sad to say but my BFG 9800GT on XP 32-bit outperforms my BFG GTX 260 on XP-64, both running on the CUDA 2.1 beta7 client, and that shouldn't happen. First I thought maybe it was an issue with the Intel M/B, so I installed the XP-64 on an AMD X2 system on a gigabyte m/b. Same performance. Under the earlier beta 5 linux cuda 2.0 client the 260 was running 7,200 units a day no problem while the the 9800GT was getting 5 something.

So in their wisdom to fix something, distributed.net improved the stuff, can't do the cuda 2.0 client anymore. And now I'm wondering if XP-64 is the culprit??? And it is a strange one, as if the systems are started off together, the 260 runs faster than the 9800, however in the morning, the summary will show more units processed on the 9800 than the 260. All the power control stuff has been disabled on both systems. Possibly it's a heating issue, but I sort of doubt that as if I start the systems over again the 260 again runs faster than the other. ?????

So in my quest, I went and downloaded the latest NVIDA driver for XP-64, and ran the CUDA 2.2 client..... performance was worse on that than with the 2.1 client, like 40,000,000 keys/sec less than with the cuda 2.1 client for the highest optimized cores on both clients going by the dnetc -bench check. So I reinstalled the cuda 2.1 client last night. This morning the 260 had done 500 less units than the 9800GT had.

I also tried installing ubuntu 8.10 and then downloaded the .run files for the cuda 2.1 client, and then installing those. Things went fine but upon rebooting the X server would only run in low graphics mode and I couldn't get that to reconfigure. I do have to say that the linux method totally sucks compared to windows for changing graphics drivers.

Bottom line is that it appears to me that distributed.net has gone to the point of trying to "fix" something that was working from the linux standpoint nice and reliably under the cuda 2.0. So in the quest for the perfect windows client and desire to have only one client source code for all, things are going down hill from the performance standpoint. Not to mention that rather than having things at the point that anyone can run the client, you have to be on the bleeding edge as the linux distros don't support the latest cuda offerings. So in the end, they lose people that just get tired of the constant dinking around with the system and move on to other efforts.

Yet at the same time there are other projects utilizing gpu's that you don't have to jump through as many hoops to get their project running. ???? I don't know, as it's all a little beyond me other than knowing that not too long ago I was doing a good 23,000 units a day on rc5, and now I do maybe 10,200 units a day, on the days that I still crunch rc5. And after the delays in getting new beta releases issued after the expiration of the then current betas, less and less rc5 units are being crunched by my systems. I also note that others out there have been begging for a release candidate as work is getting done well enough by the betas that the completed work units are added to the pool of the completed work for the project. So the end is that they are losing contributors due to the frustrations which isn't exactly the direction most project managers try to go with their projects.

It's a rant in a way, but really, it's more just pure and simple frustration. We've had several projects disappear and the sum of it all is that the crunching just isn't as fun as it used to be. And while the OGR series of projects by distributed.net are going great guns, rc5 isn't doing well in comparison. Just my .02 cents not that it's worth anything.

NeoGen
07-19-2009, 10:17 PM
This is a great study you're doing there Brucifer. :)
I don't have a cuda capable gfx card but I'm always interested in knowing how these things work and perform in different environments and conditions.

GPUs are indeed the future, although it's still in its baby steps and we have to be patient with these problems, I can see in a couple of years from now they will be running as smoothly as CPUs nowadays on pretty much every project. :)

Ototero
07-23-2009, 10:45 PM
Everytime I look for a CUDA windows client, they are always expired.

liuqyn
07-23-2009, 10:59 PM
RC5 is a waste of time anyway, I'm hoping they get OGR to run on cuda, then maybe I'll try it out again.

Brucifer
07-27-2009, 06:17 AM
RC5 is a waste of time anyway, I'm hoping they get OGR to run on cuda, then maybe I'll try it out again.

:-) Well for a waste of time, it sure has a lot of followers around this planet.

Nflight
07-28-2009, 01:49 AM
:-) Well for a waste of time, it sure has a lot of followers around this planet.

Your Right Brucifier.. Then why do all of us do what we do?

Over the course of the last 10 years and the future of my life I will be competing on this rampant array of computers churning out data to sway myself in stature and grace to heights of DC Heaven. Ok, there was some swill included in that array of nonsense, but you get my point. I like this type of competition, I am not bothered by sweating profusely while kicking some ball around a field. No, I use my brain to exacerbate my knowledge base to help change world issues, and cure diseases, why my efforts have even aided in finding prime numbers. Why because I can damn it.

When I have more funds I am investing in more materials to advance my hobby on to stardom and grace and respect in the DC community. When I make it rich I am not looking at a new fancy car, I want a super powerful Computer to compete with in the DC world. RC5 is one project I want to participate in. Maybe I am crazy but the DC world means a lot to me.

OK RANT Volume turned down. :blob3:

liuqyn
07-28-2009, 02:08 AM
I think I may have started something I didn't intend. when I said RC5 was a waste of time it was only because the outcome of the search doesn't matter anymore yet they keep it going just because people want to run it. I of coarse run these projects just for fun as well, but at least most of them have some value be it looking for cures to diseases or even trying to find ET. but I'm starting to become more picky on what I run especially when they cause undue headaches.

in the end I hope these guys iron out their seemingly never ending beta issues so we(I) can run this some more.

grrr I need to go to bed now.

Brucifer
07-28-2009, 04:52 AM
LOL hahahhahhahaha :icon_mrgreen:

I understood what you were getting at with RC5. What was intriguing to me was that they were working away at getting the gpus going on the effort. But somewhere along the way they lost sight of where they started with the gpu effort. They ended up trying to perfect the one client issue, and then carried it even further in cramming the super large units down the crunchers throats. Meanwhile, the initial goal was just to get more work units crunched. Now, while they may have perfected their client to what "they" want, they have also managed to alienate a number of folks that were initially buying gpus to increase their rc5 output. But as the old saying goes, their chalkboard, their project. What they forgot was it was the volunteer contributors hardware and electricity. And then along came more projects working at getting gpus going on their projects. So many have moved on to the other projects. So yeah, I agree with you that the answer is already known so it's really a waste of hardware and electricity in that it isn't contributing something worthwhile to humanity.

@nflight............................... LOL yup, the computer is the ultimate "tinker toy" at least as far as we have progressed in this existence so far. And yup, it's the challenge that keeps us going at it. :icon_mrgreen:

But I think I have reached the end of the road on rc5. Time to move the hardware on to something productive. And yes, I'm tired of the endless string of beta's too. Some stability would be nice without the changing playing field that just wastes more time that could be spent crunching.