PDA

View Full Version : Summer temperatures

vaughan
10-13-2004, 03:05 AM
I read an interesting letter to the editor today in Australian PCAuthority magazine. (Reference is Nov 2004 page 29 "Turn up the heat" for AMDave).The gist of it was why do hardware tests always get run at 20-25°C (68-77°F) ambient and not under adverse conditions like 35°C - a hot summers day?
The editor replied that due to time constraints they wouldn't be able to get the testing completed in time for publication. Also that a controlled temperature meant that they could eliminate lockups and instabilities due to heat from their evaluations. The idea had merit but said upgrading to a good quality heatsink fan was recommended if you run a PC in places above 35°C.

Does anyone know if any of the US based hardware reviewers eg. AnandTech, PCPer and Tomshardware test under adverse environmental conditions?

Empty_5oul
10-13-2004, 10:52 AM
i wouldnt have a clue sorry, depending on what i do later i will have a look.

it would seem sensible though as most people wont have temperature controlled rooms, the weather being the main influence on temperature.

jlangner
10-14-2004, 02:03 AM
Most people would have temp controlled rooms in U.S. Mine varies 21C - 23C. I'd die if I couldn't have my AC on 72F in day and 68F at night. lol. :lol: