PDA

View Full Version : rc5-72 beta 11

Brucifer
12-24-2009, 04:57 PM
Ah, I see it is time for another rant against the way distributed.net is jerking people around on 5-72 again. The stream client has been expired for a week now, and nothing new out there yet for it. This morning they put out the beta 11 for the cuda gpu's at least. Wouldn't bother me other than my stream stable is more advanced than my cuda stable now that performance wise the cuda clients don't hold a candle to the stream........... BUT that ass-umes that there are clients out there for both stream and cuda.............................................. ...... Which of course begs the comment that both clients work well enough for dedicated crunchers so there ought to be a released production client out there now so we don't get jerked around ever 35 days or so....... :icon_rolleyes:

Ototero
12-24-2009, 11:18 PM
Thanks for the heads up Brucifer. My GPU is crunching again :)

Brucifer
12-27-2009, 08:33 PM
Yup, I see you there. Also see that Vaughan banging away with his cuda stuff too. So I broke out an old tired cuda system since it doesn't look like they are gonna get us a Stream client any time soon, and will add to the score with that. I'd forgotten how much heat those GTX260's throw off.............. definitely warming up the room. :)

vaughan
12-27-2009, 10:09 PM
... Also see that Vaughan banging away with his cuda stuff too...
Yes sir, got a pair of GTX275s running DNet now. My son nicked them and put them in a Q9550 running Gentoo64 for "a school project". (Yeah sure), Left my machines with a 7900GX2 that's good for nothing - no CUDA - just sucks electricity, and the other machine has an 8400. Time to shop for some newer GPUs when the silly season is over and the shops open again.

Brucifer
12-27-2009, 11:24 PM
So what you thinking of getting?

vaughan
12-28-2009, 12:14 AM
XFX 5850 black edition but no shops here seem to have any stock.

Would consider the 5970 but at AUD1200 its extremely expensive, thus a couple of 5850s should do the trick.

Brucifer
12-28-2009, 02:23 AM
Would this be to run it on rc5, or are you looking at another project?

vaughan
12-28-2009, 03:37 AM
I have a few options:
1. Run it on MilkyWay but that project was tricky to setup last time I ran it with the 4870 GPU.
2. Run it on a Gentoo64 box but that needs my son to set the thing up for me. I have two Q6600s that are spare at the moment, one from the previous server that got replaced by the new dual E5520 Xeon server (its running WEP) and the other from the Shuttle box that caught fire recently. Thus I need a couple of cases, power supplies, some RAM and I'm sure I can find a HDD or two somewhere. The Shuttle had 4GB Corsair DDR2 onboard so maybe I need to look at a motherboard that will use that with one of the Q6600s.
3. Run it on Collatz as that application is brilliant for points. :)

Brucifer
12-28-2009, 03:51 AM
http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=12576

Go take a peek at that thread if you haven't already. Just some folks working on fft's with cuda but it holds promise for the future. :-)