PDA

View Full Version : Linux and gpu's

Brucifer
03-29-2010, 04:21 PM
So is anyone here running collatz on linux with a gpu?????????? If so, tell me about it please, like what linux distro, what gpu ie cuda/stream, and how you got it running...

AMDave
03-29-2010, 08:55 PM
Yep.
Nvidia 9600GT is CUDA 1.1 compatible

using Ubuntu 9.10 as the OS -
BOINC says "Linux: 2.6.28-16-generic"

added the Nvidia 185 version driver direct from the 3rd party repository
(you might be able to get it from Ubuntu repos now - haven't checked)
BOINC says "NVIDIA GPU 0: GeForce 9600 GT (driver version unknown, CUDA version 2030, compute capability 1.1, 511MB, 208 GFLOPS peak)"

Attach BOINC to Collatz, that creates the BOINC project folder
download a WU
that downloads the CPU client
stop BOINC

Downloaded optimised Collatz client
copied GPU files over the CPU client files in the project sub folder

start BOINC
test

can't recall if I had to create any symlinks for the CUDA files in the OS app folders, possibly.

Brucifer
03-30-2010, 12:39 AM
Thankyou sir! :icon_mrgreen:

Brucifer
04-01-2010, 07:36 AM
sorta was a bust spending the night tonight trying to get a stream card running on collatz under ubuntu 9.10.... :-(

Windoze sure makes it much much much much simpler..................

The only problem is you hafta pay through the noze to get the windows o/s.

Nflight
04-01-2010, 10:52 PM
Now Brucifier the only thing I am wondering is where you are in the stats? If your up and running in Collatz, now where are you~? Come out come out wherever you are! I can not find you in the Team Stats, Did you join the AMDusers Team? AMDave can you link him on how to do that using Boinc and Linux? Thank You AMDave :blob3:

AMDave
04-01-2010, 11:48 PM
I see him in the stats.
You are about to be road kill and a few seconds (exaggeration? ... oh ok ... a few hours then) after that I'll be next.
Awesome turn of speed there Brucifer :D

Nflight is eluding to the fact that after you have signed on to a BOINC project you can go back into your Account settings and change your username to your preferred alias.
We tend to do that immediately upon joining.
Your stats are all linked to the CPID so there is no issue changing the username.

Home >> Returning Participants >> Your Account >> other account info >> Name
then click "update info"

Brucifer
04-02-2010, 12:35 AM
Maybe he can see it now after a stats run.... :-)

liuqyn
04-02-2010, 10:19 AM
I figured that was you, the output looked right.

Nflight
04-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Imagine your at the Beach and suddenly out of no where the water starts to recede away from the beach leaving everything barren with no water~?

Then far away from the beach a wall of water looking like an ominous Thunder Cloud is fast approaching the beach line. Everyone looking in awe now knows its time to run as fast as you can.... TIDAL WAVE....fast approaching.

Nope just Brucifier who now has put our Team effort back in the Top 10 rankings of the day on Free-DC stats for our Team. http://stats.free-dc.org/stats.php?page=proj&proj=col

I am standing here along side other competitive Team Mates as we seem to have been drenched by a rogue wave/Cruncher of extraordinaire abilities.
Go Brucifier! ! ! ! ! :blob3:

Brucifer
04-02-2010, 03:07 PM
Shucky poo.................... It seems as the server is kaput this morning. So one system is already out of work, and is now on rc5. The others are finishing up, but we will see if they have enough to get past this outtage.... :-(

Well, as for Nflight's comment above.... lol, I'm just a small hick farmer from the desert. I can't even place in the daily top ten in Bok's stats.... Some of them there boyz and girlz have some mind boggling power to put out the daily stats that they are. I am inpressed with the stream 577A cards though for crunching collatz as they do pretty well. Unfortunately they don't do as well in rc5 in comparisson with some other stream cards, but they do love collatz. :-) But the price on them is a bit high I think when you look at the performance out of the 4 and 5 hundred dollar ATI cards.

And sadly the nvidia cards don't crunch this project as well. I think that the nvidia drivers are much more stable, and the system is more useable when crunching on the nvidia cards than ati, but ya can't have it all I guess.

Nflight
04-02-2010, 03:31 PM
BOINC is not this almighty perfect operating system either! Yes 'Shucky Poo' exists and occurs regularly! This is not a perfect all encompassing wonderful platform and like the rest of us it takes some fiddling with our equipment to work through the admins of each projects frustrations ==> BE PATIENT ! ! !

Collatz goes down about every 3 days or so, they are having issues with the ISP bandwidth provider which just happens to be Comcast. Everything will be back to normal in less then 12 hours and you should be back crunching like a mad man once more by mid afternoon...

Take time off, and walk outside, smell the fresh air, open a book and read the first two chapters, relax walk down to your favorite hang out and slurp on an ice cream cone. When you get back the problems will be over and you will once again be king of the hill.!!! :blob3:

Brucifer
04-02-2010, 07:32 PM
Lol, I sure don't worry about being king of the hill cause I ain't by any stretch of the immagination. As for smelling the flowers, it's pouring outside here now. May be able to smell the sagebrush afterwards... :-) As for the project being down, most of the crunchers are still working on the stuff that was loaded as I'd set the cache to a day and a half worth of work. Besides, I've got rc5 to crunch on. :-)

Nflight
04-02-2010, 07:38 PM
The project is up and running again Brucifier, just hit the retry button in the transfer TAB. The material will upload and away you go! :blob3:

Nflight
07-06-2011, 01:44 PM
What flavor GPu's work best on this project? :blob3:

Brucifer
07-07-2011, 07:45 AM
ATI's on Collatz by al means. Run Milkyway for Nvidia. Nvidia runs slow on Collatz. But if that's all ya brung and ya wanna run Collatz, by all means go for it. :-)