PDA

View Full Version : New Charity Project - SuperDonate

NeoGen
04-28-2010, 05:50 AM
Hey guys

I found a new charity project called SuperDonate. They apparently use our CPU cycles to solve computing problems for organizations that pay them, and they donate the money earned to different charity organizations.

Website - http://www.superdonate.org/

It has client apps for Windows, Linux, and Mac OSX, and it seems pretty simple and straightforward to use, you register on the site, make the login on the client, choose your favorite charity and it starts working.

I'm not sure if they are out of work right now but mine isn't using any CPU power, but is taking up 500Mb of RAM. You might want to run this alongside something else to keep the CPU busy.

I created the AMD Users Team, so if you register, join us here:
http://www.superdonate.org/team/info/18

NeoGen
04-29-2010, 05:21 AM
Well, after a day of it working I can say that it works all right, but a few things came up...
- It runs at normal priority level, which means it takes over any other running project. But running at normal priority is not so bad in this case because along the day you get very little time when it actually has work to crunch, so you can have it running alongside boinc, and whenever it gets work it'll take over for a few minutes and then let cpu back to boinc.
- I cannot tell if it is multicore-ready or not. I haven't really sat down and wait to see it working.

But now for the good news... with only my contribution yet, our Team is already #12 on the roster! :icon_mrgreen:
http://www.superdonate.org/team/list/
(Ototero... team stats? wink! wink! :icon_wink:)

Join in guys and we can get this up real quick. :)

Nflight
04-29-2010, 05:06 PM
I take it it is not a BOINC Project?

NeoGen
04-29-2010, 06:47 PM
I take it it is not a BOINC Project?
Nope, not a boinc project. It's a very simple client app, you might just want to go to the options once and set the cpu usage to maximum (when working), and forget about it. Besides that, choosing the charity, and the registration/login I haven't had to do anything else.

NeoGen
05-01-2010, 06:14 AM
We are now #11 and rising... probably getting in the top 10 by tomorrow! :)

NeoGen
05-09-2010, 02:26 AM
Hey guys... no one here wants to join me and spare a core to a charity project? :)

We are now ranked #9, but rising steadily and getting close to the teams in #8 and #7, we should get both those spots in the next few days.

Come on fellows, it's for a good cause. :icon_wink:

NeoGen
05-19-2010, 05:08 AM
We are now ranked 7th guys :)

It took a while longer than expected, there was a shortage of workunits for a while.

Spot #6 is on sight, but that team has two guys... they don't seem to be very active lately but I'll try to sneak quietly to not wake them up. I'm only one against two.

EDIT: And check the top posts for info on how to join me. :icon_wink:

NeoGen
06-06-2010, 07:17 AM
We're still ranked #7, I haven't been able to catch up with the guys above us. There has been shortage of workunits, and I have a PicEvolvr workunit that has been hogging my cpu for 200+ hours and I can't seem to get rid of it.

Come on guys, join me on this, it's a charity project... it's for a good cause. :)

Lagu
06-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Neogen!

I will do the most exiting I have done running projects. I will join and help you!

Lagu

Lagu
06-09-2010, 05:01 PM
Now we is two.

I guess peoples not like if a project stopp say 3 other and it weiil be a delay in running time. I have no other running so i would be OK. It will be exiting se how it goes. What do you run? I have choosed The Nature Concervancy as seem be default. But it is little work yet. Did you know if their agent use several cores? I would like have vork as run continuously

Lagu

NeoGen
06-10-2010, 01:22 AM
I believe the application does use multiple cores, but the work available for it is very little yet, so it just sits there waiting most of the time. I keep Boinc running on something and SuperDonate started, and when SuperDonate gets work it stops boinc and works on its own for the time it needs. And then boinc takes back the CPU and everything goes as normal.

SuperDonate takes over the CPU because it runs by default at higher priority than Boinc, but since it runs so very little each day I don't even bother. I just wish it didn't have to take 500Mb of RAM when it is just sitting idle waiting for work.

My charity of choice was also the nature conservancy. It was the one that most appealed to me from all the ones in the list. But I might do some others one of these days.

NeoGen
06-11-2010, 07:58 AM
Wow... something must have been wrong on the stats before and has been corrected, because we just got a nearly 40k boost and 2 ranks up! :icon_mrgreen:
And it's not something me or Lagu did because there hasn't been almost any workunits available.

We are now ranked #5 of 20 teams. This is a good spot but tough to get any higher. We have close to 83,000 points, and #4 has 325,000!

If the Superdonate project admins are seeing this... We need more workunits please!!! :)

Lagu
06-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Team SuperDonate as have 7 members takes it all. But what charity did they run?

Yesterday we ran 108 of wish I had 64
Today we ran 90 of wish I had 23

What charity did you choose? Or did you change between them? I runs the Nature Conservancy.

Now I test Invisible Youth Network.

Lagu:)

NeoGen
06-11-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm still running the Nature Conservancy. I was thinking of testing others too to see how well it would do.

If that one runs better, tell me and I'll change too :)

Lagu
06-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Yes, I will!

Lagu
06-11-2010, 07:59 PM
NeoGen, did you use the clients default setting or hawe you change and use your own setting? I use default setting.

I discovered a fun thing. In USA they use the word "Roster" about their players set up. Is that a new word you have learned? I use to see NHL (Detroit) as have many Swedes playing and there I notised the word Roster.

Lagu

NeoGen
06-11-2010, 08:24 PM
I went to the options to put the CPU Usage to 90% (maximum allowed) on both computer in use and idle options, and pulled the seconds of inactivity to idle to zero (always idle).

Those were the only changes I did, but still I get very little work.

I've heard the word Roster too, but I'm not used to it. I prefer team lineup for example. :)

Lagu
06-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Yesterday 59 Wu:s
Today so far 120, a total of 178 when running Invisible Youth Network using one core. I continue run it for some days.

And you NeoGen running the charity you have been used to?

NeoGen
06-12-2010, 11:40 PM
Last night I changed to the Water charity to try it. I got a few more workunits than the last few days but not many still. I'll keep running it a little more to see how it goes.

Lagu
06-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Today i got 32 only. It is too bad. But the charity is a lottery i guess.

Lagu

NeoGen
06-15-2010, 01:25 PM
I don't know what is going on with their stats but we just got another sudden increase of about 40,000 points! :)

I also noticed there is a new member on the Team, we are now 3 people there, but I don't know who it is.

Lagu
06-15-2010, 03:31 PM
Yes, I didnt think about it but, now I see there is no name. Strange.

Lagu:icon_wink:

Lagu
06-15-2010, 08:38 PM
http://superdonator.org run this project themselves? Are they running WU:s on their servers. Why hawe they so many points and other so little? It cant be right.

Superdonate 1.134.385 High of WU:s, Members: 7
Ultra donate! 584,320, Average of WU:s, Members: 4
Team East Coast 517.216, Average, Members: 5
Kaskens Team 325,405, Null WU Members: 5
AMDusers 125,481, Average Members: 3, Neogen, Me and unknown. Kaskens has ca, tree times our points.
Super Donors 61,980, Null, Member: 1
Team Aman 47,668, Little, Members: 2
Bird Conversation 37,529 High of WU:s, Member: 1
OtrosModos.org 36,629, High of WU:s, Member: 1
Northern Lights 15,158, Null, Member: 1
Friends of Nature 8,804, High of WU:s the last 5 days, Members: 2
Team Karl W 6,358, Give up? Alone
West Coast 1,407, Ran it during April and continue but never gets work, Alone

I have written "Average" but i should be jerky crunching because it is different results day by day. I have change back to Nature Concervancy.

I ses here is no known team, only we AMDusers. I think this project is for peoples as vill save the nature/world or vote on the Green Party as we have here in Sweden and i can say it is not my party. Never, never.

Lagu
06-18-2010, 07:32 PM
I have changed charity to Invisible Youth Newswork and got 1,222 WU´s on 2 days. It is the best yet.

Today we 3 guys have over 3,000 WU`s done

NeoGen, you can test it if you want.

NeoGen
06-18-2010, 08:41 PM
I changed back to Nature conservancy and got almost 1,800 WUs too.
I hope they got more WUs, but I think it was a random thing that happened. The numbers are going back down again.

Lagu
09-14-2010, 03:35 AM
Strange thing happens!

I have nou been running Superdonate for 86 days and 14 hours and vhen i should check my stats my account or username + password was not accepted so I was forced create a new password and then log in. My computer had made no points for whole Aug. I was running Invisible Youth Network.

Lagu:(

NeoGen
09-14-2010, 04:46 AM
Something happened on their servers... I noticed the project was down for some time, and the stats don't update for a few weeks.
I have been trying to run it, but I think the client app has not been doing anything.

sajmon
12-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Hi Guys

I have just joined your team at superdonate. Hopefully there will be more of us. Unfortunatelly i got only C2D @2ghz so i dont know what the crunching speed will be like. Anyway what charity got some workunits please? i tried more of them but cpu is doing nothing so far. thanks ;-)

NeoGen
12-26-2010, 12:08 AM
Hi sajmon, welcome to the forums.

Sorry for the late reply, christmas time people are mostly away from here and enjoying good food and sweets. :)

Superdonate rarely has work to crunch, I have the same problem too. I just keep it running alongside with boinc and other projects, and whenever workunits come in, it takes over the other projects.
It's basically a work of patience, we just have to keep it running and it will work whenever it can.

NeoGen
02-11-2011, 08:55 PM
We have been doing GREAT on Superdonate lately! We shot up to World #2 and keep on climbing.
The number 1 spot will be difficult, they are quite far ahead of us, but I think if we continue with the effort we will be able to take over them! :)