PDA

View Full Version : gpu's

Brucifer
05-01-2010, 09:46 PM
So after running a few work units I definitely learned that on this project the Nvidia cards whup butt on the ATI cards. Not only that, the sti stuff is really unstable compared to the nvidia. On multiple systems, the ati ones will end up with the blue screen of death when trying to stop the client. Don't get that with the nvidia ones.

But I thought I'd drun a few of the f@h stuff since the mother-in-law is having a pretty rough go with the Alzheimers, and thats one of the things that the folding effort is working on according to their propaganda on their site.

Can you cache multiple work units with the fah6 clients or not?

Brucifer
05-16-2010, 01:34 AM
Well to whoever is still crunching this around here, I'm coming after you. Slowly. but I'm working at it. :-) lol

vaughan
05-16-2010, 03:48 AM
No you cannot cache work with F@H, it is the single biggest limitation of the project. Someone needs to write an application akin to the old SetiQueue but I haven't found one. The PamdeGroup are arrogant enough that they won't listen to users who request a cache of WUs; they figure they have millions of users so why have tasks cached by a select few enthusiasts.

About the only time I run a F@H task now is when I re-boot some of my PCs. They have F@H on the autostart of Windows so I just set it for no new work and let it crunch out the GPU task.

Brucifer
05-16-2010, 04:01 PM
Yup, this sux specifically for folks that have shaky ISP connections as it is entirely too possible for a client to go without work. One would think that if you complete "X" number of work units that they would figure maybe you are serious in crunching for them, or if you have an ISP issue that they would make a concession of some sort for them. Specially with the number of gpu's out there now. I can understand why they wouldn't want to do it for their special short turnaround work units, but for the others it seems a bit rediculous. However it appears that they won't. So who knows, maybe I'll just go back to my regular effort and ease out of f@h. :-( Their loss, another project's gain. :-)