PDA

View Full Version : Power blackout

vaughan
10-23-2004, 09:47 PM
We had a power blackout here last night that lasted several hours. My UPSs only give 30 minutes cover so all but the laptop shutdown gracefully. And there I was trying to regain some progress across several DC projects ... bah humbug.
I wonder how much generators cost?

Empty_5oul
10-23-2004, 09:59 PM
lol, for your set up power would be expensive.

blackouts like that are pretty annoying especially when it is sunny when you get up the next day go into computer room and hear silence (no fans) and in my case no flashing lights.

at least they shut down properly as you said, so they should have saved their task progress and not just lost the lot.

vaughan
10-24-2004, 06:40 AM
All recovered safely. Phew, thank God for UPSs.
Now we just have to contend with thunder and lightning as Sydney has decided to break its drought with another display of Mother Nature's fury.
Back to crunching ...

AMDave
10-24-2004, 07:26 AM
Gold Coast Indy finished with a spectacular crash from Patrick Carpontier.
Paul Tracey did not get his 2nd GCI win.
Championship now goes onto Mexico City.

Now storm is building over Brisbane.
Looks like I might be turning things off tonight.
Can hear the rumblings already and wind is picking up.
Wait and see over the next 2 hours.

Ototero
10-24-2004, 11:24 AM
Mother Nature eh :cry:

Thankfully blackouts are rare in the UK 'cos of weather. Mostly union strikes :-(

Brailian GP in 7 hours, and a bonus, Schumacher is at the back :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Empty_5oul
10-24-2004, 06:57 PM
yep, a few times i have had a power cut but it has been back up pretty quick - though that doesnt help when it happens overnight as i still lose possible times for scoring.
ocassionally it is good tho as the processor can cool down lol :P

Ototero
10-24-2004, 10:25 PM
JP Montoya wins the Brazilian GP.

4 1/2 hours sleep, new stats in the morning, good night everyone.

Empty_5oul
10-24-2004, 10:41 PM
im looking forward to the stats already, the weekends have to be the hardest test with no stats - what if you are ever ill on a monday or friday ?? 3 days of no stats :O
i wont be bothered bout the d2ol stats tho as we will be red :(

also we are dropping back in 17 again, can we have a little hand, maybe another 3 or 4 machines for about a week - then hopefuly BeOS will give up chasing us lol