PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 9 & Safari 5

NeoGen
06-08-2010, 09:01 PM
The browsers war seems to be still going strong... I picked up this link on our left side RSS feed

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/08/ie9-safari-5/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Techcrunch+%28TechCrunch%29

Talking about hardware accelerated browsers, one thing comes to mind... I remember I couldn't play a 3D demanding video game if BOINC was processing any GPU workunits or they would crash... What happens when IE9 rolls out, using GPU for rendering the websites? Can't browse and crunch at the same time? :icon_rolleyes:

Maxi86
04-08-2011, 04:47 PM
I stopped using IE long ago and don't regret. I used 7 version on the pc of my frined, and it was terrible in comparison with other browsers (I currently use Mozilla Firefox and Opera). I'm not sure that 9th version is much better.

NeoGen
04-08-2011, 06:02 PM
Welcome to the forums Maxi86 :)

I am a happy Firefox 4 user myself but I have been trying out this new IE9 lately. The blunt truth is that it doesn't make a slow net connection look any faster... I have 1.5Mbps DSL and with IE9 or any other browser it's still slow. lol
But indeed, IE9 does show speed and fluid animations on websites, on machines that can take advantage of the GPU acceleration. I tried it on one netbook that didn't have such capability and it presented itself as slow as usually is. But you can see the difference of the GPU acceleration, especially on those test sites created by microsoft, where they put some really fast paced animations running.

But I have not tried to browse heavy animated sites and crunch at the same time yet... I will try that someday, but right now I don't wanna risk crashing perfectly good BURP workunits. :)

Lagu
04-08-2011, 08:34 PM
I too hawe Mozilla Firefox 4 and it seems load homepages and pages faster than IE9.

Lagu:)

AMDave
08-21-2011, 04:38 AM
I am very impressed by IE9.
COUGH COUGH. There I said it.
Compared to previous versions by MS it kicks a$$.
The developer features for debugging are brilliant.
Although I use Chromium for debugging at home (linux) and at work (Windows) - IE9 doesn't do crossplatform :)

I do have Safari on the laptop but Firefox is the primary browser.
Safari gets exercised occasionally for browser testing web pages.

Although I mostly use Chromium I have to admit there are some prevailing annoying bugs that have not been knocked out yet.
It looks like they have been knocked out of Chrome but Chrome usage tracking (http://news.cnet.com/8301-17939_109-10282312-2.html) ruined my search profile and forced me to use Advanced search until I dropped it completely.
I know there are options to turn that off, but I didn't know about them at the time.

For browser testing, on my Linux workstation I use: Chromium, Firefox, Arora, Epiphany, Seamonkey, Opera, Midori
and on my Win7 laptop I use: Chromium, Firefox, Chrome, IE9 (32bit), IE9 (64bit), Safari
(Max even got me to start using links & Elinks again.

Because of the minor hassles in Chromium and my need for cross-platform use, I am starting to use Firefox a lot more again. It is good since it now keeps up with Chrom(e|ium)

The latest versions of all of the mainstream browsers are terrific.
Some of the lesser known Linux browsers are terrible at rendering and processing javascript but are more feature rich and standards compliance focused.
None of them are included in this analysis though: http://www.webdevout.net/browser-support (scroll down to see the tables)

I'll try using Safari some more.

There's a huge number of browsers available now (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers)
I just heard about some Dillo uptake today.
I'll take that for a spin soon too.

Brucifer
08-21-2011, 05:11 PM
I just can't get into the MS browser stuff. Tired of MS always trying to cram $hit down your throat, besides the obvious security hassles of MS. In fact the ONLY reason I run any MS at all is because of GPU crunching as the linux gpu drivers just aren't as efficient as the windows ones. :-( So my browsers of choice are SeaMonkey and FireFox. I do have Safari on one system though. However, Apple seems to be trying to follow in MS's footsteps in the cramming department as they are sure trying to shove the "Cloud" up everyones a$$.... just sayin....

Beerknurd
08-23-2011, 03:04 AM
I have been using Google Chrome since it came out... I am definitely a fan.

Dirk Broer
08-23-2011, 12:44 PM
Just have been force-fed FireFox6 on my Athlon single-core

Brucifer
08-23-2011, 05:02 PM
ya, you have to go in and set the toggle so that it doesn't automatically do that. I prefer to wait a while on upgrades until there is time for the problems to appear and be corrected. Just a carry over from my network admin days where I learned the hard way that progress isn't necessarily a good thing. lol

Dirk Broer
08-24-2011, 12:03 AM
I remember a company that still used MS-Dos 6.23 on 9/11, they were not so very keen to be in the forefront either

AMDave
08-24-2011, 09:56 AM
Really? That's awesome. I wonder what their support contract was like. heh.
Scripting batch files for DOS was what drew my attention to Unix and, laterally, Linux.
Ah. Good times.
I wouldn't remember where to start now after the edlin command. haha

Dirk Broer
08-24-2011, 11:19 AM
They did not need support and knew their way around ye olde dos 6.23 (that had a far more advanced editor than edlin)
Me, as power-user, was given the honor to work on a Windows98 system. My collegues tested my skills by switching the mouse and keyboard plugs to see whether I deserved the honor.
Needed just 15 secs to see what they'd been up to, nice lads.

ballaha45
11-24-2011, 05:29 PM
The same day that Apple launched the latest version of its browser based on WebKit, Microsoft produces a comparison with the next version of Internet Explorer, it is still early in the development process. And while Safari 5 is applauded by Apple as the web browser in the world, fastest and most innovative, RTM offers the public yesterday not really up to Internet Explorer 9 Platform Preview 2.

The Redmond company has created the video embedded at the bottom of this screen, the comparison of IE9 Platform Preview 2 and Safari 5 in relation to the evidence available through the website of the IE test drive. The first test flight was run Pictures, which is designed to exploit hardware acceleration capabilities, as well as data compiled JavaScript. While IE9 refer to any problem with the test, offering even more than 60 frames per second, Safari 5 smoothly and can barely get 10 FPS, going as low as a FPS.

"Since the launch of the first Platform Preview of Internet Explorer 9 in the MIX in March and the second in May, we have shown a lot of demos IE9 with other browsers. Today, Apple announced and released Safari 5. We think it shows IE9 and Safari 5, and the implementation of some of the demonstrations of the web page in Internet Explorer 9 Test Drive. Look at the frames per second (FPS) counter, "Brandon LeBlanc, Windows communications manager on the Windows Client Communications Team he explains.

The second test is Flickr Explorer, and, again, Internet Explorer 9 Platform Preview 2 5 beats Safari in terms of performance and user experience. This in the context in which Apple claims that Safari 5 also offers hardware acceleration in Windows.

"The hardware acceleration for Windows - Leverage the power of graphics processing from your PC while browsing the web. Safari 5 adds support for hardware acceleration for Windows, so rich media and interactive graphics run with agility and speed in the browser, "an excerpt from the description of Apple Safari 5 readings.

best infographics (http://www.infographicsposters.com)