PDA

View Full Version : DynaPing needs YOU!

NeoGen
06-11-2010, 08:22 AM
Hey guys!

I wanted to ask you all if possible to help AMD Users on the DynaPing project. We are ranked #6, and very close to catching up with #5 (PBToyz) and not too far from #4 (Free-DC)

DynaPing (http://dynaping.com/boinc.php) is a BOINC project, that doesn't consume CPU (you can run it alongside anything else), and just uses very little internet connection to check regularly if a long list of websites are online or if they're having network problems. (And alert their admins if they do)

The project is closed for account creation but 7 lucky fellows of our Team got in.

My proposal is... would you guys be willing to run this on someone else's account and help the Team reach higher?

I am currently running it under Liuqyn's account (one of the lucky 7), I asked and he kindly gave me his DynaPing weak account number and I set it up here and have been contributing for the Team for a while already.

The lucky 7 people are vaughan, Nflight, Liuqyn, sentient_life, bwhite, Beerknurd and AMDave. I'm sure any of them would gladly share their weak account key with you fellows for pushing the Team higher.

And yea, I know you all would like your own accounts instead of giving credits to them, but until they open account creation it won't be possible. So, think of it as a TEAM PUSH! :)
Ask here for a weak account key from one of these guys, or PM them for it. Let's all work together to get our Team up! :)

EDIT: Liuqyn gave me permission to give his key, so if you guys want to use it, PM himself or me. Instructions to use it are on the third post of this thread

velociraptor
06-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Hi to the lucky seven,
has someone such a weak account key he can pm me??
and if that is the case can you add how the file should be named and what should be standing inside??Where exactly should i place it??
(I´ve never done that before)

greetings vel.

NeoGen
06-11-2010, 06:22 PM
I can't share the weak account that was given to me, but I can point you to the instructions on how to use it :icon_wink:

http://boinc.berkeley.edu/wiki/Weak_account_keys

liuqyn
06-11-2010, 06:48 PM
feel free to pass out my key to whoever wants it, just do it with PMs.

NeoGen
06-11-2010, 06:54 PM
In that case I'll post an edit to the top post saying that if anyone would like Liuqyn's account key to PM him or myself, as I have been given permission to copy-paste his key (not breaking copyrights! :icon_lol:)

Velociraptor... if by now you haven't received keys in your PMs by anyone else, PM me and I'll send you Liuqyn's key.

NeoGen
06-11-2010, 11:35 PM
Liuqyn... you have now one more supporter! :)

I passed on your key to Velociraptor, he should be already showing up in your stats.

Anyone else up for a Team Push on DynaPing?

NeoGen
06-14-2010, 04:14 PM
We have just reached #5 and left PBToyz behind! Congratulations guys!! :qgreenjumpers:

Next target is Free-DC. They're somewhat further away, we could use more help. Anyone else wanna join the team push? :)

NeoGen
06-18-2010, 03:49 AM
We have just crossed the 450,000 credits milestone!! :qgreenjumpers:
We are crunching 3x more than our fellows above us, Free-DC. They are about 45k away from us. Even so at current rate it will still take us a month to catch up with them, so come on guys, let's all gang up together and blow everyone away! :)

I remind again that this project is NOT cpu intensive, it can run alongside anything else you got, on any old machine as long as it's connected to the internet.

Account creation is closed but we can use our fellow members weak account keys to crunch on their behalf and push the Team up. Read the top post for more info on the idea! :icon_wink:

NeoGen
06-28-2010, 01:07 PM
And just last night Liuqyn made roadkill out of bwhite on the teams stats, raising up to 3rd place, Nflight beware, you're the next target! :icon_razz:

With our current push Liuqyn is already World #30, and USA's #12! But we got 6 other guys we can also help besides Liuqyn (check first post), and every credit goes towards the Team total.
So does anyone wanna help Nflight secure his #2 spot? Just PM him for the weak account key. :icon_wink:

Come on guys, if we all get together as a Team we can tackle Free-DC and get their World #4 spot! :)

gamer007
07-01-2010, 09:03 AM
As I've said in reply to NeoGen's PM. I'll be happy to help out. Someone feel free to PM me their weak account key. :icon_razz:

EDIT: Thanks NeoGen for sending me a weak account key. And thanks Liuqyn for allowing us to use his key. :)

Lagu
07-01-2010, 08:53 PM
No Neogen Boinc have changed since I last ran it. BAM, BAM I had choose that as was said I could join a projevt 2 click away but what happen. My E-mail adresse couldn´t be found and yet I had told it on their site and got an E-mail as said I could run BAM. What the heck is it.

I have been old and is no longer as I vere years ago. It seems been more complicated. When I chould shoose project my password and E-mail were wrong so I failed. I lost the control.

Had I done any wrong as choose BAM?

Lagu :-(:rolleyes:

NeoGen
07-01-2010, 09:51 PM
I really don't know, I don't use the BAM account manager... I have very few computers available to run boinc so I do it manually. I register on the projects websites and attach on the client. But I believe there should be someone here that uses BAM, that can help you out.

Anyone out there knows its way around the BAM account manager?

drezha
07-02-2010, 10:41 AM
I just got NeoGen's PM.

I hadn't seen this but when I checked it out, I saw this on the website

March 14, 2010
Unfortunately we have run into problems to get the project stable. Instead of becoming more reliable when more hosts are added, the reliability actually degraded. Until we have a very bright idea about how to solve this problem we will not be updating the project anymore. The project will remain active but it may be terminated if we cannot find a solution.
Not entirely filling me with confidence...

vaughan
07-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Looks like we are catching Free-DC soon. Maybe we can reach Seti.Usa too.

NeoGen
07-02-2010, 12:50 PM
Yup, estimates to catch up with Free-DC are in 21 days, but I think we can do in less than that.

Drezha, great to see you around! Long time no see! :)
That message was the reason why they can't open account creation. From my point of view I never saw any lack of stability or even lack of Workunits. The only problem is the credits are so low, but then again this is a non-cpu intensive project.

AMDave
07-03-2010, 06:05 AM
@Lagu

Nothing wrong with BAM.
It cannot create an account for you on Dynaping because new account creation needs an invitation code.
As far as I know they are not giving out the invitation code at the moment.

NeoGen
07-07-2010, 06:10 PM
We got the World #4 spot!!!! :icon_mrgreen:

Congrats everyone!! With the push we have been doing, we have just overtaken Free-DC and conquered the World #4 spot on the project! :)

Our team production has increased tenfold since I started this thread and the push on DynaPing. The next target on sight is SETI.USA, ranked #3, and according to Free-DC's predictions, they are 33 days away from being roadkill! :icon_mrgreen: (probably less because our RAC keeps increasing each day!)

Anyone who wants to help us, post here for the weak account key, or PM me. You are still on time to help the Team go even further!

GO AMD USERS!!!! :)

EDIT: We also broke another milestone! 500,000 credits guys! :)

AMDave
07-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Beerknurd! you fixed your system issues! Good work.

hAh.
I intend to see your increase and raise you.
Oh yes indeedy
My ICBMs (Inter-Continental BOINC Missiles) should arrive tomorrow :D heh heh heh

/AMDAve goes back to biting nails and cursing through his teeth as his monthly bandwidth cap looms ever closer .... eek

AMDave
07-12-2010, 01:33 PM
wheeze cough cough hack phffffft ... yeuch ! I remember this ... it's beerknurd's dust !

I may not be catching you, but 1 little power blip and I'm gonna mow you a new haircut :P

/ed - 8 days to Team rank #3 and 1 small power-blip to buzz-cut time :icon_twisted: - ed/

Nflight
07-15-2010, 03:38 AM
Choke, hurl, and cough up one fur ball, I am willing to share my weak account key to anyone willing to slow down Liugyn. I would rather someone lower his output so I can at least keep up! Come on guys who wants to share some wealth? Looking for some bonding here!

NeoGen
07-15-2010, 04:18 AM
I like to share the wealth... and I guess I have by now given a good push to Liuqyn, and found him plenty of followers, it's time to help out my other fellow team mates too.

Nflight, pass me that weak account key of yours by PM and you got yourself a machine. :)
And if you also give me permission to share it by PM I'll try to find some recruits for you too. :icon_wink:

gamer007
07-15-2010, 09:00 AM
I wouldn't mind switching to Nflight's weak account key. With a lot of people with Liuqyn, we should make it a bit more balanced. :icon_razz:

NeoGen
07-18-2010, 05:13 AM
Nflight has given me permission to spread it, and I have already sent it out to a few people... judging by today's stats on Free-DC it's making quite an effect effect! Nflight is our top producer today, even beating Liuqyn and vaughan. :icon_mrgreen:

And also on related news... I see a little furry animal on the road to DynaPing's World Rank #3... it's team SETI.USA and by tomorrow it will be called roadkill... :icon_twisted: :icon_mrgreen:

AMDave
07-18-2010, 10:41 AM
I don't think I fully understood the strength of the 'weak' key before.
Great job guys.

NeoGen
07-19-2010, 12:28 AM
Dave... if you share your weak account key with me you might get some points too! :icon_wink:

I'm always trying to get more people into the DynaPing effort. :)

Now if only bwhite and sentient_life would come around the website and check the news...:icon_rolleyes:

Ramjet
07-19-2010, 01:02 AM
We are trying to share our resources evenly between Nflight and Liuqyn, I don't know what we're gonna do if you get more weak acct. keys, probably have to start firing up some dual cores I guess. :qgreenjumpers:

AMDave
07-20-2010, 10:52 AM
I have 1 win_x86 box (because it is also doing some other stuff)
and 2 win_x86 vm's on the linux_AMD64 workstation on it
(the workstation is a quad Phenom 9750, linux_AMD64, with 8GB RAM also running 3 other linux_x86 vm's).
I can recommend vm's as the way to go for this if you have any available ram - no PSU overhead

AMDave
07-20-2010, 10:53 AM
from the last stats update it looks like bwhite got my PM

NeoGen
07-20-2010, 03:12 PM
We are trying to share our resources evenly between Nflight and Liuqyn, I don't know what we're gonna do if you get more weak acct. keys, probably have to start firing up some dual cores I guess. :qgreenjumpers:
Ramjet, I have now three more keys... AMDave, vaughan and bwhite.... how many dual-cores have you got? :icon_mrgreen:

Beerknurd
07-20-2010, 04:20 PM
Ahh... I was starting to wonder if Nflight won the lottery and built some new puters... Now I get it... I should read the forum more often!! :)

liuqyn
07-20-2010, 04:21 PM
keep in mind that, unless they changed it, you can only use 5 hosts at any location.

NeoGen
07-20-2010, 05:08 PM
That's an interesting bit of information there I was not aware...
But on plenty of people you can see more than 5 active hosts "on the last 30 days"... so what happens to the 6th and other hosts credits? Do they just discard it?

If this limitation is still active I guess I have to try and spread the people with the keys available.

NeoGen
07-20-2010, 05:22 PM
After a quick observation I can see that the "really good" workunits on DynaPing can get you little over 300 credits... and then there are some "not-so-good-ones" that are awarded around 40 credits or less...

So... for 300 credits on a 12 hour period (WUs length)... that's 600 credits for 1 ideal day of work by 1 machine...
Which multiplied by 5 machines equals somewhat over 3,000 credits/day...

I see on Free-DCs stats that Nflight was breaking mach 1 speed lately... around 4,000 credits/day in the past couple of days with the boost, so I think the limit might not be in place anymore... :)

liuqyn
07-20-2010, 07:33 PM
it's not per user, it's per ip address. so even though I have 19 active hosts at home, only 5 will actually process work at one time. This thread (http://dynaping.com/forum_thread.php?id=38) covers the details.

Nflight
07-20-2010, 08:12 PM
Maybe there is a way around this dilemma. :5censored: :blob3:

Ramjet
07-22-2010, 03:14 AM
Ramjet, I have now three more keys... AMDave, vaughan and bwhite.... how many dual-cores have you got? :icon_mrgreen:

Ok, I know the race is almost over but it took a while to get this setup, I just added one dual core running off a wireless usb adapter out in the garage (so I don't have to fight the AC) . If I can share that connection with a 5 port switch, I can add 3 more duals to my KVM switch. I am gearing up for the WCG race anyway (July 31st thru Aug. 7th ), so I can also run DynaPing to help get us to that magic million. :)

NeoGen
07-22-2010, 03:19 AM
That's great Ramjet! I really wish we can shoot all the way to #1 in this project. :) But that's going to take about 3 months at current rate, so every little bit more we can scrape helps shave off a few days in the stats.

If you want some different keys for a change, maybe pushing for the underdogs for a while, I can provide. :icon_wink: I was thinking maybe we could do a kind of a push to get all the guys above 100K for example.

The only person out of contact is sentient_life, we have been trying to get in contact with him to set up his DynaPing or provide his key, but to no avail yet. But everyone else has shared their keys with me. :)

shnal
07-22-2010, 07:38 PM
If anyone would like to PM me their key then I'll be glad to help.

Ramjet
07-24-2010, 02:37 PM
Can anybody tell me why Liuqyn's PPD per host are so low compared to everybody else's? It seems to me our efforts are being wasted here. Maybe we should switch to somebody else's weak acct. key? Am I missing something or can anyone explain what's going on? :BangHead:

Nflight
07-24-2010, 03:04 PM
It has to be his connection to the internet that is causing so much problems. I would switch to someone else s, my opinion. Don't waste the electric cycles if you don't have too ! :blob3:

Beerknurd
07-24-2010, 04:06 PM
Feel free to use mine!!!! Neo has my weak account key!!!

liuqyn
07-24-2010, 04:54 PM
I have no idea why others points have dropped on my key, nothing changed from when they were running fast and then all of a sudden they all dropped to nearly nothing. my internet connection only effects my local host.

NeoGen
07-25-2010, 01:26 AM
Some people stopped running, and others asked me for different account keys to help others and "share the wealth"... but I also didn't think everyone would switch/stop at the same time...
You guys that are running for Liuqyn... can you see on your hosts (on his hosts list) if the credits are lower than they should be? I think the good workunits are around 300 credits each...

Or... Liuqyn, did you change the settings on the project lately? Just to make sure, go to your account and double check if the project preferences are as they are supposed to be. I don't think they should have changed, but just to make sure...

gamer007
08-01-2010, 08:48 AM
I'm having problems with the project now. BOINC keeps reporting "DynaPing Message from server: pinger needs 9.54MB more disk space. You currently have 0.00 MB available and it needs 9.54 MB." I have a lots of free space and resetting the project does not help. Any solutions?

NeoGen
08-01-2010, 07:31 PM
BOINC has specific settings to how much free space it can use, and RAM, and sometimes that can be a pain... For example if BOINC was allowed only to use 200Mb of space on the hard drive, and there was a project that you were running that used 190 of those, you would have a hard time getting any other project running because they would all cry out "no hard drive space" even if you had an empty 1Tb hard drive there... it's a configurations thing.

I think normally the preferences are set on the boinc account of a project, and then boinc connects to it, reads the preferences you set and applies them locally on the computers, but you can also go to the Options menu, click Preferences, and set them manually for that specific machine you are trying to get running. You will see a tab called "Disk and memory usage", and that should have options there to increase the amount of space you want to reserve for boinc.

Hope that helps :)

gamer007
08-01-2010, 07:38 PM
After fiddling around with some settings in the tab, I got it working. Thanks NeoGen. :) I've looked at the tab before, but never really touched it since I have quite a bit of hard drive space.

AMDave
08-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Aw bmmr.
I fell out of the daily top ten.
S'cuse me for an hour or so.
I have to go and Borg something with a license. :evilgrin:

/ed -
done.
plus 1.
planning a sneak attack on a family laptop to make plus two :rockin:
- ed/

Nflight
08-04-2010, 11:42 AM
AMDave Like you, I asked a friend who is not part of our team but never shuts his system off either. So I gained 2 more systems. I also garnered another team mate through a weak account key. AMDave if you want to hand over your weak account key, I am sure Ramjet or Vaughan with their mighty arrays can set you up with a system or two. Just trying to help!
:blob3:

AMDave
08-04-2010, 12:23 PM
Great work Nflight.

NeoGen has my key for distribution.
All hail the AMD Users Gauntlet Meister, NeoGen!
He's doing a terrific job co-ordinating our volunteers.

I already saw 2 other boxen on my list recently.
THANKS FOR JUMPING ON BOARD GUYS! :wave:

Our 7 day average is still increasing. :biggrin:

liuqyn
08-04-2010, 12:58 PM
due to a family member moving away this weekend with her two kids, I will be sending 4 comps along to a home with better internet(if she gets it online right away), so my output should start going up again soon.

NeoGen
08-05-2010, 04:09 AM
I was offline for the last day but I'm back... had two laptops here that were helping the cause but they are back with their owners now and not crunching anymore, so it's just the one desktop faithfully going on Liuqyn's account. :)

Dave, those might be numibesi's crunchers... He wanted to help so I gave him your key to see if would help you catch up with Beerknurd. :icon_mrgreen: