PDA

View Full Version : Yoyo@Home - Euler subproject complete

NeoGen
06-11-2010, 04:51 PM
One less subproject to crunch on :icon_rolleyes:

08 June 2010 - Euler625 finished
The project is complete!

There are 181 solutions to (6,2,5) below 117649 ! We discovered 32 new solutions during this computation, and double-checked all the existing solutions. The only sad news is that we didn't find a solution to (6,2,4). Let's hope that the next project will discover one.

Congratulations to Liuqyn and sentient_life, the two finders of Euler solutions in our Team! :)

liuqyn
06-11-2010, 06:46 PM
kinda bummed me out that I didn't get 1mil before it ended.

NeoGen
06-13-2010, 08:43 AM
Seems like they are back in action after all! :)

12 June 2010
Euler625 new search
A new Euler application is now on test for Linx32 and Linux64 systems. To get the app you must enable test applications. Workunits are sometimes created for testing. The new Euler application searches now up to 250.000. There are 510.000 workunits in total. But first we need testers.

liuqyn
06-13-2010, 12:03 PM
not fair.... where's my windoze apps.

vaughan
06-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Yeah I agree we need Windows apps. I have only 2 Linux machines.

liuqyn
06-13-2010, 04:46 PM
well, I got some new Euler wu's, so they must have released the windows app.

yoyo
06-14-2010, 06:08 PM
A stupid question. Is there a need for apps for more operting systems like Solaris, BSD, HP,...?
yoyo

NeoGen
06-14-2010, 07:17 PM
I personally wish all projects had apps for all kinds of OSes and platforms, but from a reasonable point of view it depends on how much effort it takes to create those apps, versus the number of people that will actually use them.
Suppose that in creating an app you have an effort and time spent of 1 unit... In creating the app for windows you cover maybe over 75% of the fellows out there with only 1 unit of your effort and time... in creating an app for linux you cover maybe 20% of the crunchers with that 1 unit of effort. So, your first effort brought in 75% of the people, your second effort brought in only 20% more... in creating apps for Mac, Solaris, BSD, etc, your effort will be reach less and less people... but the ammount of effort and time spent is always the same.

So, in conclusion... from the crunchers point of view, sure, the more apps the merrier! But from a management point of view, you have to evaluate if it's really worth your time and effort to bring possibly just a couple dozen more people in to join the thousands you already reached with the apps you currently have.

AMDave
06-15-2010, 12:14 PM
NeoGen is on the mark.
If you think you can bring in many many cores from enterprise (not likely IMO) clustered SPARC/HP CPUs then it might be worth the time.
Several years ago it might have been worth it when many enterprises had idle time on their clusters, but now I do not think so.
Since it is you, Yoyo, asking the question and not someone in charge of many clustered enterprise CPUs looking for a version to run on their platform, then I do not think it is worthwhile of your effort.
Better to spend your time optimising the apps already available which will bring about greater efficiency on a larger scale.
my 2c

NeoGen
06-22-2010, 07:28 PM
I think Yoyo took our replies as a "Yes" :)

22 June 2010 Euler625 for Mac
The Euler625 application is now also available for Intel32-, Intel64- and PPC Mac systems. Much thanks to Michael.