PDA

View Full Version : CAS@Home (new BOINC project)

NeoGen
06-28-2010, 04:19 PM
A new project popped up investigating high energy physics, originating in China, more specifically at the Chinese Academy of Sciences.

The objective of CAS@home is to encourage and assist scientists in China to adopt the technologies of volunteer computing and volunteer thinking for their research. The project has three parts:

Organizing hands-on volunteer computing workshops forresearchers from the Chinese Academy of Sciences as well as other scientific institutions in China.
Launching pilot applications to exploit volunteer computing and volunteer thinking by scientists in China
Creating a website with essential information about volunteer computing for Chinese scientists, which is this site

The project is led by researchers at the Computer Centre of the Institute of High Energy Physics (IHEP), Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS).
The project was officially launched in January 2010, with the support of the Chinese Academy of Sciences. A BOINC server was established at IHEP during the first quarter of 2010. A CAS@home master class with two international experts and over 20 participants was held at IHEP on 9 March 2010. In June, tests began of a volunteer computing project that will distribute Short-Cut Threading, an application about protein structure prediction developed by researchers at the Institute of Computing Technology, CAS. In July and August, researchers from IHEP and the international particle physics laboratory, CERN, will collaborate on developing a new volunteer computing application for simulating particle collisions at IHEP's particle accelerator, BEPC.
Website here: http://casathome.ihep.ac.cn/

Account Creation: Open! :)
Aplications: Windows (x86) (no GPUs yet... :()
Work available: No :(

AMD Users Team here: http://casathome.ihep.ac.cn/team_display.php?teamid=17

These newly created projects tend to close account creation after reaching a number of participants. Join in while you can! :icon_wink:

liuqyn
06-28-2010, 08:37 PM
joined, but not getting work.

NeoGen
06-28-2010, 08:39 PM
Our team seems to have been created with no new members allowed... There is no link to "join this team".

I hope vaughan can fix it quick.

BobCat13
06-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Our team seems to have been created with no new members allowed... There is no link to "join this team".

I hope vaughan can fix it quick.
I created the team and the Accept New Members option box is checked. I just updated the team info, so see if the Join this Team is now available for you.

NeoGen
06-29-2010, 01:01 AM
Yup, thanks BobCat! :)

I was thinking it was vaughan the team founder because he is almost always the team founder in all projects. I don't know why this thing with the not accepting members happens, but it's already the second time it happened, I remember asking you once before to check the team options. There might be some bug on the server code of Boinc that doesn't process that option right the first time you create the team, and only after you go there a second time it overwrites with the correct option...

Nflight
07-16-2010, 10:52 AM
Yup I am in too, Looks like a nice project with real world sceince you can sink your teeth into! CERN

vaughan
07-16-2010, 01:04 PM
They had a few tasks to crunch today.

Nflight
07-16-2010, 10:31 PM
I received a few work units, most failed to download properly. But some got through and I am on the board. This is an early project they need to figure out how this stuff works and it will take a learning curve as we all know.

Are you ready for this, there is a limit of 308 Work Units per day! :bs:

vaughan
07-17-2010, 02:30 PM
I get about 1 in 20 that downloads successfully. The others get stuck saying "download failed". I tried to use the "fix" on the official website forum but it didn't work for me.

AMDave
07-24-2010, 06:33 AM
This project is very quietly 'taking-off'
It looks like the masses have started to arrive and we are drifting out of the top-10 (currently in 9)
I have not had any download errors for many days.
Still limited to 2 Wu's at a time on the dual cpu win box, so pc numbers wins.
still only win_x86 app.
http://casathome.ihep.ac.cn/apps.php

vaughan
07-24-2010, 01:02 PM
Yes Dave the downloads have improved. Still no caching of work. Tasks take approx an hour each.

Nflight
07-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Beerknurd did you just hit test test test or am I missing something here?

Beerknurd
07-29-2010, 01:14 PM
I was testing forums last night.