PDA

View Full Version : So what you crunching with?

Brucifer
07-07-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm just running some gpu's myself. I had a couple linux boxes going for the large units, but gave that up since the heat output was pretty high, and the gpu's are pretty consistent. Using cuda gpu's as the output from them is better than the ati's for this project. Been running the gpu3 beta on two of them.

On a 9800 GTX+ I have to run the 195.xx driver, as it locks up with everything else. Seems pretty strange, but that's what happens. So I guess when they run out of gpu2 work units I'll be up a crick on that box.

Is anyone running one of the latest 400 series nvidia cards on this??

vaughan
07-08-2010, 02:07 PM
No, just 8800GT/9800GT, a 9800GTX and 260+. My main GPUs are ATI 5850s from Gigabyte and I got an MSI R5870 Twin Frozr today that needs to find a computer to go in. This will be a weekend job. I don't waste the ATI cards on Folding as they do better at Collatz or DNetc.

Frederic Brillouet
09-27-2010, 07:25 PM
I only have a measly ps3 :-(

Keith75
03-05-2011, 07:04 AM
It varies which machines are actually folding but I have the following machines I use:
CPUs=Opteron 170, A64 3800+, PS3, Mac Mini Core Duo, E6600, Athlon II X4 640, i5 430M, i7 920 and i5 2500k
GPUs=9800GT, GTS 360M, GTX 285, GTX 460 and GTX 470

Brucifer
05-30-2011, 05:10 AM
You've got a good collection there though. I don't put any cpu's on it, just running gpu's now and then. I plan on putting more effort into it though. Put a GTX560ti on it this evening. I had also picked up a GTX460, but on bringing it home it turned out there is bad memory in the card so that will be going back to the store. Then I also have a GTS-250 that I run now and then on it. It still works better on the stuff than the ATI gpu's. lol So I will proly pick up a couple more lower end nvidia cards to replace some more ATI's and cut down on the heat a bit.

Brucifer
07-13-2011, 04:26 PM
There really doesn't seem to be much team interest in this project anymore as only a few contribute. I'm slowly working up to the one million mark. At that point I think I'll slow it down quite a bit. With the way the point system is now on F@H it has turned into just a big machine and corporate kind of thing, not much there for the little guy anymore other than just crunching a bit because of someone in their family dying. But even at that there are other projects out there that do worthwhile stuff on cancer and such too where there is more of a chance for some decent team rivalry races.

NeoGen
07-14-2011, 05:18 AM
I don't crunch it because I don't have a good GPU to get on it (yet), using CPU only these days on Folding@Home is a waste of electricity unless you have a datacenter at home. (Even bigger waste of electricity!)
I'm thinking most people also realized that, without a good GPU, or a PS3 there's almost no gain from crunching it.

vaughan
07-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Brucifer put those ATI cards on Collatz or Milkyway.

Nvidia is fine for Folding, I agree CPUs are a waste of electricity on Folding, put them to work on BOINC Mersenne@Home.

Brucifer
07-15-2011, 01:26 AM
Well Vaughan, if I had some ATI's sitting doing nothing at the moment that I could run, I would. However reality is with the weather right now, all I can kick off is the nvidia's for folding. I'll be going offline sometime Friday evening as I'll be back on the road on a jeeping trip to the mountains for a couple weeks. Then after that my plan is to run the nvidia's on folding until I hit 1,000,000. After that, I will proly put some nvidia's on gpugrid, and maybe I can fire off an ati on milky way, or collatz. Will just have to see what goes with the weather after I get back.

AMDave
07-16-2011, 08:03 AM
I'll be going offline sometime Friday evening as I'll be back on the road on a jeeping trip to the mountains for a couple weeks.
That sounds like a convoy of fun. Seriously, Brucifer. I'm jealous. :biggrin:

I'm with you on the temps. Less than 6 months ago we were in the same situation 'up' here in AU. (yes 'up'. The maps are still wrong. lol )
I had a few machines off completely and the others with extra case fans were down to no GPU and only 7 hours CPU timeslot in the early morning.
It'll be easier to be confident about the temps when the seasons change.

ITMT, enjoy that trip. I'll be sure not to think about it while you are away. It'll just frustrate me. :icon_razz: :)

Brucifer
07-16-2011, 02:33 PM
well, shutting down as I type this and will be heading out in about a half hour. This first leg of the trip is down to Oregon for a week. Then back for three days and then off to the mountains of Northern Idaho. So I'll see ya a week from Sunday (tomorrow) evening. Yup, I'm excited about it AMDave. I have my son's from Tennessee and North Dakota joining me along with their families for the first leg of this, which is a family reunion kind of thing. My better half (for this trip anyway lol) decided to spring for this for my birthday present this year as it's been nine years since we have gotten together. Then for the second leg to Idaho, my son in law and I will be making that jaunt as we do every year. The Idaho one has turned into an old farts social really. We've run the same trails for years, but we all just get together to do this on the Idaho-Montana border just to shoot the breeze and yak about what's gone on the past year........... And naturally of course to solve all the problems in the world... although I can't think of any of our grand solutions that any of the world leaders have chosen to follow! lol :-)

And than after that I'll get on with the full press to reach 1,000,000 in f@h. Wow, this room is quiet now with only one system running which will be off shortly. The A/C unit is sure loving it though!!! heh heh

And when I'm at the top of a mountain covered in dust coughing, I'll think of ya AMDave and how you're so "envious"! lol

AMDave
07-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Happy trails :)

Brucifer
07-25-2011, 03:31 AM
Back for a couple days, and then off again. Terrible job I know, but someone has to do it you know........... :-)

AMDave
07-25-2011, 09:05 AM
not thinking about it ... not thinking about it ... stop thinking about it ... DERP! :)

Brucifer
07-25-2011, 03:36 PM
Yup, just sitting here thinking about it... can't help it... too tired. Was good to get some sleep in my own bed again, but am still a bit exhausted from the trip. Got a lot of sun. Came back to temps in the high 90's. So only clicked on a couple systems for the short time I'm back to fold. This has the poor old A/C pulling double duty. :-)

NeoGen
07-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Temps have been crazy over here in Arkansas, we are everyday in the high 90's or 100's... The A/C has barely time to rest... and it's not the peak of summer yet.

Brucifer
08-04-2011, 06:39 AM
Made my million in f@h. Gonna take a break from crunching. Too hot anyway.

Ototero
08-04-2011, 06:47 PM
My temps were well over 60C with just 2 core crunching so I under-clocked my rig from 2600GHz to 2000GHz.
But now I've just fitted an Arctic Cooling Freezer 13 and crunching with all 4 cores at about 52C at 2400GHz.
Result.

Brucifer
09-30-2011, 04:50 AM
ya, I played that game too, put one of them there H50 coolers on a intel quad. It's running much cooler now with four cores going max. Finally had to quite taking the trips all over the place and sit at home for a while. So will play around a little more with some f@h and try to stir the pot up a bit.

Jason1478963
10-05-2011, 02:03 AM
I think my x4 9950 was running almost 80 c with the stock AMD cooler. It ran like that for a few years without any trouble. I haven't had a CPU die yet.

Ototero
10-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Strewth Jason.
You must have nerves of steel, or plenty of money to replace a cooked cpu.
Now we are heading into Autumn, my cpu temp is 47C maxed out. Love it.

Jason1478963
10-10-2011, 03:14 AM
I believe It was because I didn't find out the temp until I put windows on as I didn't have a temp from linux at the time. I believe the 9950 was a hot running CPU and was able to take the higher temps thankfully. I believe you can get the tdp and thermal design temps from cpuz. I like to keep my temps lower as most of my crunchers are on water and dumping that heat into a storage tank to help supply hot water to the water heater. The laptop I am typing on is running at 75c and the fan still isn't on high. It is hotter then I would like to see it and it does shut off somewhere in the 90 to 95c range. Is it harder on them to run hot or go from 20c to 70c a few times a day?

Brucifer
03-26-2012, 05:21 PM
Wow, pretty cool. Just counted eight souls contributing to the team's folding at home stats today!!!